Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabot back again after a few years

Options
  • 03-09-2019 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Cabot sent a letter to me this week offering me a prejudice offer pay half the money for the car which was taken back in 2010 I have heard notting from them since 2017 .I haven't been in Ireland since 2014 I never spoke or contacted then since 2011
    Any idea what they would be up to
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Standard Cabot practice, shake the tree then shake the tree again.

They may own the debt at this stage in which case they will just keep on trying to get money even though they have no chance.

Its just part of a process. A big enough percentage fold under Cabot tactics for them to make it worth the price of a stamp (well quite a lot of stamps) to keep sending out the letters.

At this stage just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cabbie04

my3cents wrote: »
    Standard Cabot practice, shake the tree then shake the tree again.

They may own the debt at this stage in which case they will just keep on trying to get money even though they have no chance.

Its just part of a process. A big enough percentage fold under Cabot tactics for them to make it worth the price of a stamp (well quite a lot of stamps) to keep sending out the letters.

At this stage just ignore them.

Hi i taught it would be satued barred by now is their some rule like that or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

cabbie04 wrote: »
    Hi i taught it would be satued barred by now is their some rule like that or something

There's no law saying they can't keep chasing it. Statue Barred is a defense but unless you use it they will keep coming. That said at this stage its probably easier to keep ignoring them than to actually engage with them.

my3cents wrote: »
    There's no law saying they can't keep chasing it. Statue Barred is a defense but unless you use it they will keep coming. That said at this stage its probably easier to keep ignoring them than to actually engage with them.

Hi sorry I dont understand sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That it is statute barred is a defence if they attempt to get a judgement on the debt. They can keep trying to get you to acknowledge it though (which unbars it).

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    That it is statute barred is a defence if they attempt to get a judgement on the debt. They can keep trying to get you to acknowledge it though (which unbars it).

So I dont acknowledge that's the end of it .
    So they cant do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So they cant do anything

They can keep sending you letters :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Just ignore them, after that period of time its unlikely they will waste time effort and money seeking a judgement.

Like another poster, they are only interested in seeing what they can shake out of an old debt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

So they cant do anything

They can chase the debt whenever they want, regardless of the timeframe. As has been said already the defence is that the debt is statute barred. Some folks seem to think that because a debt has gone unacknowledged for 6 years that the creditor can't chase it up but they can. They can still litigate and try and get a judgement against you. While it's fine to ignore their letters and phone calls, do not ignore the likes of a claim notice , which would be the first stage of the legal process ( In the District Court where amount owed is less then €15k) to secure a judgement. If you ignore a claim notice the claimant can apply, after 28 days of issuing the claim notice, for summary judgement.

I saw a case recently where a claim notice was served on a defendant regarding a debt which was over 6 years old, and hadn't been acknowledged by the defendant during that period. A notice of discontinuance was only issued by the claimant after an appearance and full defence was lodged in the court by the defendant, the defence being that the debt was statute barred.

Squiggle wrote: »
    They can chase the debt whenever they want, regardless of the timeframe. As has been said already the defence is that the debt is statute barred. Some folks seem to think that because a debt has gone unacknowledged for 6 years that the creditor can't chase it up but they can. They can still litigate and try and get a judgement against you. While it's fine to ignore their letters and phone calls, do not ignore the likes of a claim notice , which would be the first stage of the legal process ( In the District Court where amount owed is less then €15k) to secure a judgement. If you ignore a claim notice the claimant can apply, after 28 days of issuing the claim notice, for summary judgement.

I saw a case recently where a claim notice was served on a defendant regarding a debt which was over 6 years old, and hadn't been acknowledged by the defendant during that period. A notice of discontinuance was only issued by the claimant after an appearance and full defence was lodged in the court by the defendant, the defence being that the debt was statute barred.

I dont understand that kind of stuff can you explain in layman's terms thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

I dont understand that kind of stuff can you explain in layman's terms thanks

It is statute barred. They cannot get the courts to make you pay it unless you have engaged with them (answered an email or letter) in the last 6 years.

However there is nothing to stop them writting to asking you to pay, and if you reply to them then it is no longer statute barred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

paul71 wrote: »
    It is statute barred. They cannot get the courts to make you pay it unless you have engaged with them (answered an email or letter) in the last 6 years.

However there is nothing to stop them writting to asking you to pay, and if you reply to them then it is no longer statute barred.

Statute barred or not there is nothing to stop Cabot attempting to get a judgement against the OP. If the OP ignores the likes of a Claim Notice Cabot can seek summary judgement 28 days after it has been served. A judgement would give legal recognition to the debt and Cabot would then have 12 years to enforce the judgement.

Advertisement