Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do junkies always walk out in front of traffic?

• 03-09-2019 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

I've noticed this around the city. People will stop at a crossing and wait patiently, and Anto and Deco will just walk straight out in front of speeding cars, which then have to slam on their brakes. What is with this reckless abandon? Is it something that comes with heroin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The green man is always flashing when you take enough sleepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

14dMoney wrote: »
    I've noticed this around the city. People will stop at a crossing and wait patiently, and Anto and Deco will just walk straight out in front of speeding cars, which then have to slam on their brakes. What is with this reckless abandon? Is it something that comes with heroin?

Suicide. They have nothing to live for. Junkies couldn’t give a flying f about you or anyone else. I see it all over the city as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Because they’re “hard chaws” who don’t give a shít about themselves or anyone else.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kermit D. Frog

Too strung out or brain-damaged from their habit to give a crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Too strung out or brain-damaged from their habit to give a crap

Too pointless to be given a crap about. Would be a tragedy if one was hit and a nice car was damaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

"Do not try and bend the spoon, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth...there is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."

They know the truth, The Matrix is real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its not just junkies op. It's people who've been brought up with an attitude that other people need to watch out for them and keep out of their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

They simply don't give a fcuk and if you hit them they get a payout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Its not just junkies op. It's people who've been brought up with an attitude that other people need to watch out for them and keep out of their way.

I considered editing my post above in light of yours.

Nah. Still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Cause they'll "bleeding sue ya if ya hit them sham"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's not just junkies that do it though, I've lost count of the number of times the light turns green and some jackass walks out in front of the traffic as it starts to move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

With so many cars speeding through crossings and slamming on their brakes, I stand well back when waiting to cross. A lot of other people stand at the very edge of the road.

Staying a few feet back doesn't cause any delay, and it is safer. Women with babies in buggies push them too close to the traffic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Mate of mine was on his way to work one morning, early, before 7am, and this junkie fcuker steps off the path and into the side of his car. Frightens the sh1te out out of him and damages his car in the process and then he tries to sue my mate.
    Turns out he was just released from the local cop shop after spending the night out of his biscuit in the cells for his own safety and he was just looking for a pay day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

A sense of entitlement that the world revolves around them and traffic will stop. Generally it will as most normal people don’t want to knock someone down. But sure if the car doesn’t stop or avoid them, there’s probably a claim in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

I saw one walk in the middle of the road and I told her to come onto the path or she’ll get knocked down. She says “we had legs before we had wheels.”

Solid argument tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

To be fair it's not just junkies with the sense of entitlement as proven to me today when I was on my way out of SuperValu Lucan and this entitled git almost walked straight into me as he was coming in the "Out" door.
    Only I kept my line he expected me to move out of his way, no chance, only he moved as I was prepared to walk over him, hate these dogs that don't wait till people are out of a Train, LUAS or even a lift door before trying to get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

mags1962 wrote: »
    To be fair it's not just junkies with the sense of entitlement as proven to me today when I was on my way out of SuperValu Lucan and this entitled git almost walked straight into me as he was coming in the "Out" door.
    Only I kept my line he expected me to move out of his way, no chance, only he moved as I was prepared to walk over him, hate these dogs that don't wait till people are out of a Train, LUAS or even a lift door before trying to get in.

A punch to the balls will open your path.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I'm hazarding a wild guess it's because they're out of their box on heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Testing out their latest deadly new pair of runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What the country needs is one less addict.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Too pointless to be given a crap about. Would be a tragedy if one was hit and a nice car was damaged.

What a dirty small minded comment. Poor lad didn't even get the thanks whore reward for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

it's their primordial instinct to manifest themselves into self destruction and obliteration

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611244fd55fcfacc1ef8bb2f81cb78bf75fce5e7e1c&rid=giphy.gif

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

it's their primordial instinct to manifest themselves into self destruction and obliteration

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611244fd55fcfacc1ef8bb2f81cb78bf75fce5e7e1c&rid=giphy.gif

That sounds more like a tag line from the new lemmings game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Inconsideration and self centredness. Largely the same reasons why they stuck needles in their arm to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Would love to try heroin. I'd say it is great craic

Would love to try heroin. I'd say it is great craic

You know the definition of Junkie Love? Both of ye shatting the bed and still in love? Anything that can survive that is incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

14dMoney wrote: »
    Is it something that comes with heroin?

I'd say there's some kind of link alright:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I've noticed this too, people almost deliberately walking out in front of you, eyeballing you as they do so. They know you HAVE to stop for them or you'll be the one at fault, therefore they feel some inflated sense of power or something.

Kids on bikes do this too. In residential areas, they barely move enough to let you pass, staring at you as they do so, almost daring you to tip into the bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Why do people assume junkies are always lower class, surely there should be junkies that are middle classh/rich.

Given the price of heroin (€20 for a baggie) I'm actually surprised that people on the dole and not working can actually regularly afford it unless they're stealing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

OSI wrote: »
    My cousin came from a fairly well to do family. Got into heroin and within six months was burgling homes and holding up the local newsagents for cash to get his next fix.

Must have robbed his family/friends first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I'm hazarding a wild guess it's because they're out of their box on heroin.

That pretty much sums it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They just don't really care and know people will stop. They aren't all junkies many are alcoholics. Bolton Street seems to have a particular problem with this for some reason.

Somebody already mentioned this but it is getting much worse and it is the people standing at the edge of the curb. Perfectly sober people have taken to this. Can't make any sense of why the do it. The vast majority of near misses and collisions has been pedestrians walking into traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They are generally harmless. Imagine the suffering they go through and try and feel some compassion. You wouldn't wish that life on your worst enemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

question for the dubs.is it hard get parking near Shelbourne Park do ye know

Inconsideration and self centredness. Largely the same reasons why they stuck needles in their arm to begin with.

lol. You must have had a sheltered life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Suicide. They have nothing to live for. Junkies couldn’t give a flying f about you or anyone else. I see it all over the city as well.

Someone's son, brother, sister, daughter, friend.

The irony is that you say it is "they that don't give a flying f about anyone else "

The world is truly blessed to have you, hopefully it never comes to your door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

lol. You must have had a sheltered life.

How does that make any sense?

Junkies are pure scum and did it to themselves so fk them.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    How does that make any sense?

Junkies are pure scum and did it to themselves so fk them.

Right. If you had alcoholic or junkie parents who were never around and when they were they were abusive and didn't care about you, and were from some absolute sh*thole with zero chance in life, well you might actually considering taking drugs yourself to get away from the pain of it all. Why the f*ck not?

But no I bet you'd rise above it all despite the horrific childhood and abuse because you're not like the junkie scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They ain't got time to wait, are you mad.....

They are shouting constantly and in a hurry to get over to get their fix or beat the sh1t out of one another....

They tend to very rarely get knocked down funnily enough.

Right. If you had alcoholic or junkie parents who were never around and when they were they were abusive and didn't care about you, and were from some absolute sh*thole with zero chance in life, well you might actually considering taking drugs yourself to get away from the pain of it all. Why the f*ck not?

But no I bet you'd rise above it all despite the horrific childhood and abuse because you're not like the junkie scum.

Cry me a river

• Advertisement

Cry me a river

I wont cry you a river no, because I doubt you came from anything like that kind of background. Try putting yourself in their shoes.
    Check your privilege!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

They want a BIG claim so they can buy more drugs until their eye balls explode out of their heads.

The junkies that I worry about are the ones that follow you down the street, I don't need that sh!t when I got my kid with me. Happens consistently more and more. You have to literally run to get away from them. Some have followed me into underground car parks to because they know you will be pulling your wallet out.. There are so many streets in Dublin that I wont walk down anymore because of this, and other types of non national beggars shoving their paper cup in your face from every door step, post box, ticket machine.

I wont cry you a river no, because I doubt you came from anything like that kind of background. Try putting yourself in their shoes.
    Check your privilege!

And this is the case for all the scum or are you just an apologist for the scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I know a guy who was a heroin addict and I never saw him like that. He was always dressed well, always looked well, always had a job. He had a very difficult childhood. He was a nice person. He just went down the wrong path. He passed away a couple of years ago.

I think people tend to dehumanize heroin addicts. Some heroin addicts are not nice people as some people who are not heroin addicts are. Others just got caught up in something and are struggling to get out of it.

I also know of two people who have managed to get off it and are doing really well.

And this is the case for all the scum or are you just an apologist for the scum.

You should join a debating team, you're a natural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

endacl wrote: »

Jesus Christ. Seriously that's a horrible thing to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

They want a BIG claim so they can buy more drugs until their eye balls explode out of their heads.

The junkies that I worry about are the ones that follow you down the street, I don't need that sh!t when I got my kid with me. Happens consistently more and more. You have to literally run to get away from them. Some have followed me into underground car parks to because they know you will be pulling your wallet out.. There are so many streets in Dublin that I wont walk down anymore because of this, and other types of non national beggars shoving their paper cup in your face from every door step, post box, ticket machine.

In and about Dublin most days and have never had this experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jesus Christ. Seriously that's a horrible thing to say

It's after hours....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    They just don't really care and know people will stop. They aren't all junkies many are alcoholics. Bolton Street seems to have a particular problem with this for some reason.

Somebody already mentioned this but it is getting much worse and it is the people standing at the edge of the curb. Perfectly sober people have taken to this. Can't make any sense of why the do it. The vast majority of near misses and collisions has been pedestrians walking into traffic.

More common in my experience, and more dangerous, are "Salmon" cyclists. Not likely to be drunk or drugged, but with a serious death wish.

They cycle on the wrong side of the road against oncoming traffic, and cross junctions with emerging and turning traffic without slowing down or stopping. A lot of the time they are in cycle lanes on the opposite side of where they should be. There is a thread in the Cycling forum about these people.

Why do people assume junkies are always lower class, surely there should be junkies that are middle classh/rich.

There are a surprisingly high number of opiate addicts from middle/upper classes in Irish society, including heroin. The thing is, you wouldn't notice because they get their kicks in private. Heroin itself isn't particularly bad for you, it's just extremely habit forming. The ones you see on the street forego basic stuff like hygiene, diet, exercise etc. because all that stuff costs money....money which is better spent on getting whacked out of it, in their eyes.

People of means can afford to live an otherwise normal life, while getting skagged out of it in the comfort of their own home. Doctors are infamous for getting high off their own supply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement