Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do junkies always walk out in front of traffic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

More common in my experience, and more dangerous, are "Salmon" cyclists. Not likely to be drunk or drugged, but with a serious death wish.

They cycle on the wrong side of the road against oncoming traffic, and cross junctions with emerging and turning traffic without slowing down or stopping. A lot of the time they are in cycle lanes on the opposite side of where they should be. There is a thread in the Cycling forum about these people.

How many people have they injured/killed lately?? should I be worried?

I'd be worried about motorists killing 2 or 3 people a week if I were you!

It's after hours....

Yes. And that's why it's ok to observe that enda is a sad C**T!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There are a surprisingly high number of opiate addicts from middle/upper classes in Irish society, including heroin. The thing is, you wouldn't notice because they get their kicks in private. Heroin itself isn't particularly bad for you, it's just extremely habit forming. The ones you see on the street forego basic stuff like hygiene, diet, exercise etc. because all that stuff costs money....money which is better spent on getting whacked out of it, in their eyes.

Interesting research there!

Tammy! wrote: »
    I think people tend to dehumanize heroin addicts. Some heroin addicts are not nice people as some people who are not heroin addicts are. Others just got caught up in something and are struggling to get out of it.

The ones who piss and **** in public do a good enough job of that themselves. I don't give a **** what someone is or isn't on, I judge people on behaviour. They can blame it on substances but if someone behaves like a scumbag then they're a scumbag.

The ones who piss and **** in public do a good enough job of that themselves. I don't give a **** what someone is or isn't on, I judge people on behaviour. They can blame it on substances but if someone behaves like a scumbag then they're a scumbag.

If you were out on the street and a bit tapped in the head and strung out on all sorts you may find yourself relieving yourself god only knows where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I know a guy who was a heroin addict and I never saw him like that. He was always dressed well, always looked well, always had a job. He had a very difficult childhood. He was a nice person. He just went down the wrong path. He passed away a couple of years ago.

I think people tend to dehumanize heroin addicts. Some heroin addicts are not nice people as some people who are not heroin addicts are. Others just got caught up in something and are struggling to get out of it.

I also know of two people who have managed to get off it and are doing really well.

Well said, some heroin - drug addicts are bad people, some are decent but ended up succumbing to their hardship.probably at an age when they were too young to know better, that and poor if any guidance

Drug dealers are scum however

If you were out on the street and a bit tapped in the head and strung out on all sorts you may find yourself relieving yourself god only knows where.

Would you even be aware of relieving yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Why do people assume junkies are always lower class, surely there should be junkies that are middle classh/rich.

There are a surprisingly high number of opiate addicts from middle/upper classes in Irish society, including heroin. The thing is, you wouldn't notice because they get their kicks in private. Heroin itself isn't particularly bad for you, it's just extremely habit forming. The ones you see on the street forego basic stuff like hygiene, diet, exercise etc. because all that stuff costs money....money which is better spent on getting whacked out of it, in their eyes.

People of means can afford to live an otherwise normal life, while getting skagged out of it in the comfort of their own home. Doctors are infamous for getting high off their own supply.

Sure the likes of Keith Richards and iggy pop were nothing but junkies for much of their life, wealthy junkies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Sure the likes of Keith Richards and iggy pop were nothing but junkies for much of their life, wealthy junkies.

Ye sure you wouldn't have thought Peaches Geldoff was on it. Granted she had lost alot of weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I know a guy who was a heroin addict and I never saw him like that. He was always dressed well, always looked well, always had a job. He had a very difficult childhood. He was a nice person. He just went down the wrong path. He passed away a couple of years ago.

I also know of two people who have managed to get off it and are doing really well.

Abso-fucking-lutely. “They are other, I am better than them”. Sure look, it’s not just junkies. So many people jump at any chance to dehumanise others, to judge them. Any thread on fat people or smokers here on boards will neatly demonstrate that. I shared a hospital ward with a junkie once (just a general ward in a hospital) and it was interesting to chat to her and to understand how she got to where she was in life. But understanding someone takes work. Judgement is so much easier.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Interesting research there!

https://www.hrb.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Drugnet64.pdf

15 addicts per 1000 people in Dublin. Basing that off a population of 1.4m, we're talking just over 20,000 opiate addicts in the city. To put that into perspective, you're talking about every man woman and child in a town like Wexford or Athlone. There's no way there are that many walking the streets, though it may look like it sometimes.

I remember reading an article a few years ago that Howth had the highest concentration of opiate abuse in the country, while also having one of the highest median incomes in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I've noticed this too, people almost deliberately walking out in front of you, eyeballing you as they do so. They know you HAVE to stop for them or you'll be the one at fault, therefore they feel some inflated sense of power or something.

Have noticed this too especially along Wood Quay and around the Four Courts. They'll deliberately walk out slowly and eyeball you after you've hit the brakes. I think its a claim they're after tbh, they'll take a hit at 30kph if it will get them 40k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

https://www.hrb.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/Drugnet64.pdf

15 addicts per 1000 people in Dublin. Basing that off a population of 1.4m, we're talking just over 20,000 opiate addicts in the city.

They're a public nuisance in this city and the government should stop giving them all the freebies. Its absolute madness that they get classes as disabled and get free bus passes to reek havoc on public transport. They should be made clean the streets for their money at the very least, that would soon change their attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

They're a public nuisance in this city and the government should stop giving them all the freebies. Its absolute madness that they get classes as disabled and get free bus passes to reek havoc on public transport. They should be made clean the streets for their money at the very least, that would soon change their attitude.

What freebies do they get ?

Free bus pass for one, as mentioned in my post. Its sickening in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Can we put idiots who walk around glued to the screen of a phone in the same category as zoned out oblivious junkie's? I don't see the difference tbh.

Historically some addicts were given a bus pass , some were given a small travel allowance to get to their clinics.

Now , no addict gets disability with a travel pass just because of being in addiction.

Free transport passes are hard to get your hands on. I have a terminal illness and I wasn’t just handed one. I had to apply for it and prove my condition. How many junkies have them?

Free bus pass!! Sure they may as well throw in free business class flights to Disneyland while they are at it. Makes my blood boil I tell ya!! :mad:

Free bus pass!! Sure they may as well throw in free business class flights to Disneyland while they are at it. Makes my blood boil I tell ya!! :mad:

An addict does not get a free bus pass now.

• Advertisement

Any of them that get on Dublin Bus always seem to have one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Free transport passes are hard to get your hands on. I have a terminal illness and mine wasn’t just handed one. I had to apply for it and prove my condition. How many junkies have them?

Where have you been, drug addicts have no issues getting bus passes and the only ones without them are those that didn't apply....
    They have medical cards, dole, social housing, methadone, heating, bins, electricity payment etc etc.

They sure do and on the Luas, bus eireann, dart, InterCity and some other services.

Yes they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Yes they do.

No, they do not.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Where have you been, drug addicts have no issues getting bus passes and the only ones without them are those that didn't apply....
    They have medical cards, dole, social housing, methadone, heating, bins, electricity payment etc etc.

Stop talking nonsense.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

No, they do not.

Yes they do I work with them.... They are given the pass and even quite a few get spouse pass.

This is the same argument thrown out there that kids don't have social welfare bus passes as they do.

Do either of you actually know this? What’s the process for a drug addict getting a free travel pass? Enlighten me. I’d love to compare it to my own experience.

Do either of you actually know this? What’s the process for a drug addict getting a free travel pass? Enlighten me. I’d love to compare it to my own experience.

Well why not? I'm mean they're pretty sick. I know a guy who's been using for probably 20 years now and is in absolute bits half the time. It's an illness.

You don't get out much if you've never seen a junkie using their free bus pass on public transport. 99% of them I've seen use one and I've often seen them getting their mate on it with them for free. It's an absolute joke.

• Advertisement

You don't get out much if you've never seen a junkie using their free bus pass on public transport. 99% of them I've seen use one and I've often seen them getting their mate on it with them for free. It's an absolute joke.

So... you don’t know how junkies get them? What would be the grounds? You made the claim here and all I’ve heard is vague anecdote. Not all cancer patients qualify for free travel. You’re telling me all junkies do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I saw one walking out in front of the Luas on abbey street and it managed to stop just in time to put him on his arse, no major injuries, he stood up gave the Luas the finger and wandered off towards the quays haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I saw one get knocked down by the car in front of me on the quays some years back.

It was a woman and she was tossed in the air like a rag doll and landed on the path in heap - I was sure she was dead.

I stopped and phoned an ambulance. After 30 seconds the woman got up and just hobbled off across the Liffey towards the northside. I kinda ran after her and said there was an ambulance on the way but she totally blanked me and kept walking.

The couple in front of me who had knocked her down were Japanese tourists, the woman was absolutely hysterical and ironically when the ambulance arrived (impressively quickly I might add), they ended up bringing her off to hospital.

True story.

So... you don’t know how junkies get them? What would be the grounds? You made the claim here and all I’ve heard is vague anecdote. Not all cancer patients qualify free travel. You’re telling me all junkies do?

Maybe you should write to your local TD or social welfare office and find out why? It's a question I'd love to know as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

At what point do we cut the line of 'Poor thing, must have had a hard life' to 'Total scumbag who'd rob the shoes off your feet to get their next fix'?

I have been in so many situations where I could have taken heroin, but guess what? I never did, as I know it would end up destroying me. There's a personal choice there somewhere with nearly all addicts, and that choice is to take it. Not once or twice, but at least 3 times before becoming addicted to the feeling. Why can't we use that choice against them?*

I've no issues with junkies in general, unless they bother me. I 100% blank them, just like i'd 100% blank a religious nut job or someone collecting for charity**. Suppose I'm lucky that I don't have to pass them that often, usually only going to and back from lunch 4 or 5 days a week. I'd imagine Dubland is different, and nice to know they'll be walking/jumping out in front of cars now, I'll be keeping an eye out.

* I also flat out reject any defence where drugs/alcohol were the 'cause'

**Can't guarantee the money I'm donating is actually getting to the people it's supposedly for, and not into the pocket of the CEO of the charity, like so so many have done

Heroin addicts for example and those on methadone or pretty much anything else get free travel under the scheme.

They're addicts so it falls in under the circumstances for to awarded one.

Those that get the spouse pass type do bring their mates etc on all the time.

The ones that get the companion pass are allowed to bring anyone once over 16 years old.

Obviously they have to fill out forms and doctors sign off.

At what point do we cut the line of 'Poor thing, must have had a hard life' to 'Total scumbag who'd rob the shoes off your feet to get their next fix'?

I have been in so many situations where I could have taken heroin, but guess what? I never did, as I know it would end up destroying me. There's a personal choice there somewhere with nearly all addicts, and that choice is to take it. Not once or twice, but at least 3 times before becoming addicted to the feeling. Why can't we use that choice against them?*

I've no issues with junkies in general, unless they bother me. I 100% blank them, just like i'd 100% blank a religious nut job or someone collecting for charity**. Suppose I'm lucky that I don't have to pass them that often, usually only going to and back from lunch 4 or 5 days a week. I'd imagine Dubland is different, and nice to know they'll be walking/jumping out in front of cars now, I'll be keeping an eye out.

* I also flat out reject any defence where drugs/alcohol were the 'cause'

**Can't guarantee the money I'm donating is actually getting to the people it's supposedly for, and not into the pocket of the CEO of the charity, like so so many have done

have you ever actually conversed with an addict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Heroin addicts for example and those on methadone or pretty much anything else get free travel under the scheme.

They're addicts so it falls in under the circumstances for to awarded one.

Those that get the spouse pass type do bring their mates etc on all the time.

The ones that get the companion pass are allowed to bring anyone once over 16 years old.

Obviously they have to fill out forms and doctors sign off.

I had a look at the Social Welfare site, and the information there conflicts with a lot of what you said. Nowhere does it say that a drug addict qualifies. If they are in receipt of certain SW allowances, they could apply, but not simply on the basis of their addiction.

Maybe you should write to your local TD or social welfare office and find out why? It's a question I'd love to know as well.

Well, that’s an admission that you don’t actually have a clue. Thanks! I don’t need to contact anyone, I know how one gets one. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Check your privilege!

Ah here! What kind of bollocks is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I had a look at the Social Welfare site, and the information there conflicts with a lot of what you said. Nowhere does it say that a drug addict qualifies. If they are in receipt of certain SW allowances, they could apply, but not simply on the basis of their addiction.

Was there anything there about free buggies though?

Was there anything there about free buggies though?

There's a limit of three a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

To get to the others side man !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Free methadone and every other kind of tabs they can get their hands on so they can sell outside Christchurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

14dMoney wrote: »
    I've noticed this around the city. People will stop at a crossing and wait patiently, and Anto and Deco will just walk straight out in front of speeding cars, which then have to slam on their brakes. What is with this reckless abandon? Is it something that comes with heroin?
    They do it because they're off their bins and probably haven't a clue what they're at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    have you ever actually conversed with an addict?

No. I have enough of my own problems without listening to a junkie tell me about how hard their life was. Also, I have no interest in it.

As an aside, why is it that no matter where you are in the country, the junkies sound like they're from Dublin? Something I noticed over the years.

You do know they apply through unfit to work, disability etc etc....

Look if you don't believe me go into the city and follow any single drug addicts hanging out and watch them board the bus free, the Luas, the dart, train or bus eireann..... They are even getting the nitelink free.

You do know they apply through unfit to work, disability etc etc....

Look if you don't believe me go into the city and follow any single drug addicts hanging out and watch them board the bus free, the Luas, the dart, train or bus eireann..... They are even getting the nitelink free.

If they are the types who walk out in front of cars, I expect that they pay no heed to rules about fares.

If they are the types who walk out in front of cars, I expect that they pay no heed to rules about fares.

Ok seriously ill spell it out for you THEY HAVE FREE TRAVEL PASSES.....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

14dMoney wrote: »
    Anto and Deco

Hey, I don't jaywalk!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement