Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is this thug allowed to roam free

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Boggles wrote: »
    I imagine you wouldn't.

But have you been to the States?

I have several times, far more dangerous country then both.

Far tougher justice laws too.

Go figure.

Any comparison to the mess of a society in the states is irrelevant. No problem for me for a light sentence for a first time offender in a non violent crime. It's these multiple offenders with violence involved who get out early that is the problem.

No riddles my friend, just pointing out that adopting a harshly punitive criminal justice system has been proven not to reduce overall crime rates and not to reduce reoffending rates.

If your aim is vengeance, so be it.

But it doesn't work and it makes a country less safe and its residents more likely to be victims of crime.

What to 'decent people' want? More crime or less crime?

You are missing the point that these guys can't terrorise people if they continued to be locked up. If you want to go the rehabilitation route then people like this are lost causes and cannot be rehabilitated and thus need to be locked up indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He's out early simply because he's too much hassle for the prison service/ afraid of him

This is probably true too.
    I can’t say I blame them. The judiciary had such little regard for prison officers that even when found guilty of assaulting 3 of them he still only got 6 months added on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He's out early simply because he's too much hassle for the prison service/ afraid of him
    splinter65 wrote: »
    This is probably true too.
    I can’t say I blame them. The judiciary had such little regard for prison officers that even when found guilty of assaulting 3 of them he still only got 6 months added on.

Simply not the case. The prison service carry out the instructions of the Court. They can’t just lock him up indefinitely for no reason.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 The Kang

I really hope he doesn't choke on a burger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

"Prison authorities have tried to curb Wright’s violent tendencies, including giving him his own punching bag as a means to deal with his aggression."

Please God/Cthulhu/Spaghetti Monster/your deity of choice, give me the strength.

The way some people logic in this country astounds me.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Simply not the case. The prison service carry out the instructions of the Court. They can’t just lock him up indefinitely for no reason.

Yeh but they could go to the Guards and DPP and get him prosecuted for in prison offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeh but they could go to the Guards and DPP and get him prosecuted for in prison offences.

You think they don’t?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

The people freaking out about this man are the same who welcome refugees with open arms.
    A few minutes on Google will show you proof of ISIS fighters now in europe as refugees, you will see photos of them holding chopped of heads in Syria, and then in EU , roaming the streets.
    They where welcomed in with open arms by the political class, so do you really think politicians give a moments thought to a thug getting out of jail?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

The people freaking out about this man are the same who welcome refugees with open arms.
    A few minutes on Google will show you proof of ISIS fighters now in europe as refugees, you will see photos of them holding chopped of heads in Syria, and then in EU , roaming the streets.
    They where welcomed in with open arms by the political class, so do you really think politicians give a moments thought to a thug getting out of jail?

I think everyone is freaking out about this man, if they have a lick of sense.

If you're suggesting a battle royale with the remnants of daesh and this twat I'm very down though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Ohh christ yes. The more brutal the better, line up all the yobs in an orderly queue and ill keep going till the muscles in my arm are sore from hoisting the guilotine and ive run out of tears of joy as i wipe them all out

Good heavens above, I would truly enjoy masturbating to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I will always be in favour of rehabilitation over just adding long sweeping sentences. Thing is, rehabilitation doesn't satisfy the savage human need for "eye for an eye" revenge.

We could give the electric chair to multiple offenders. It's not a deterrent. People are still human. They'll still act impulsively and out of desperation and greed. Longer sentencing isn't a deterrent. Our government knows this. You think in the US who have the most incarcerated population in world have reduced crime because of long sentencing and death sentencing? **** no. You end up with a growing prison population and tax payers have to pay for. So how do you pay for that? You then privatize it. Then what happens? Judges start locking people up because it's profitable. Yes, that sounds like a slippery slope argument but it's happened all ready in the U.S.

Rehabilitate people. Not everyone is going to going to react ideally to rehabilitation but it beats the alternative of just locking everyone up for longer out of some fear that one of these boogeymen will live down the street from you and then come after you. I mean the odds of that.

Longer sentencing is like trying to put out a fire with petrol. Rehabilitative sentencing is at least attempting to correct the individual from recidivism.

Would I like this guy living down the road from me? Not really. But I don't like half the people around me anyway. I could get knocked down by drunk driver tomorrow but I still live my life.

This guy has been psycho-analyzed by professionals. I'm sure he's completed some behavioral therapy. He'll be subject to inspection from the Gards and will be under supervision. He did the time. He's out. People just have to deal with it. If there's an issue, call the gardai. Hopefully, he can turn his life around and he doesn't injure or cause harm to anyone else.

Rehabilitation is not to same as yawning your way through a few courses and box ticking exercises.

The particular individual being discussed here has proven that since reaching the age of criminal liability he has been continually reoffending. Where do you draw the line and say enough is enough, you had your chance at rehabilitation but you’re clearly not interested ?

Could it be that a small minority of people is unfit to be left run around in society ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Rehabilitation is not to same as yawning your way through a few courses and box ticking exercises.

The particular individual being discussed here has proven that since reaching the age of criminal liability he has been continually reoffending. Where do you draw the line and say enough is enough, you had your chance at rehabilitation but you’re clearly not interested ?

Could it be that a small minority of people is unfit to be left run around in society ?

obviously ,

which is why capital punishment is a correct and intelligent solution

mynamejeff wrote: »
    obviously ,

which is why capital punishment is a correct and intelligent solution

No. We don’t get to say who lives and who dies. If you start saying “ right you’re unfit to live amongst us because you refuse to accept that you cannot continue to behave the way you are behaving” then where does that stop?
    You could just as easily say to a severely incapacitated person “ I’m afraid we’ve done everything we can to cure you of your incapacity but we can’t. Now you are a drain on resources so you’ll have to be euthanized”.
    When a person has shown themselves immune to attempts to rehabilitate them then they need to be removed from larger society to a very confined society of others who of like mind.
    Prisons as we know them don’t work but some other secure building/complex where there is a very structured day including full time work for those in suitable physical health, possibly market gardening and animal husbandry, a couple of hours of leisure time, pursuing hobbies, religious beliefs, no TVs in the cells no mobile phones etc.
    Very occasional visits from family members but that’s it really.
    If you’ve gone down the wrong path that’s fine. Everyone makes mistakes and people’s background affects their outlook.
    But if you’ve been given a couple of opportunities to turn it around and you are just not interested then that should be it.

No. We don’t get to say who lives and who dies. If you start saying “ right you’re unfit to live amongst us because you refuse to accept that you cannot continue to behave the way you are behaving” then where does that stop?
    You could just as easily say to a severely incapacitated person “ I’m afraid we’ve done everything we can to cure you of your incapacity but we can’t. Now you are a drain on resources so you’ll have to be euthanized”.
    When a person has shown themselves immune to attempts to rehabilitate them then they need to be removed from larger society to a very confined society of others who of like mind.
    Prisons as we know them don’t work but some other secure building/complex where there is a very structured day including full time work for those in suitable physical health, possibly market gardening and animal husbandry, a couple of hours of leisure time, pursuing hobbies, religious beliefs, no TVs in the cells no mobile phones etc.
    Very occasional visits from family members but that’s it really.
    If you’ve gone down the wrong path that’s fine. Everyone makes mistakes and people’s background affects their outlook.
    But if you’ve been given a couple of opportunities to turn it around and you are just not interested then that should be it.

my solution is a lot safer cheaper and easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Not quite true.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/prison_system/remission_and_temporary_release.html

“Whether or not you get remission depends on your good behaviour while you are in prison”

So getting remission does have something to do with good behaviour.

Except that remission is no longer used as a punishment in prisons.

Because of that automatic remission should just be wiped from the books and any crimes committed in prison should be brought before the courts for consecutive sentencing. It has to be that or else Governors given discretion to apply remission. i.e. if a prisoner behaves for a month he gets a week off his sentence, if he doesn't then he doesn't get that week off.

Right now if you get four years you're out after three due to automatic remission. If it was a case that you had to actually earn that remission by good behaviour then you'd be more likely to behave. Potential remission is a far bigger carrot than automatic remission.

my solution is a lot safer cheaper and easier

Your solution is certainly not safe if someone is going to die and, whoever told you that things should be easy?

Your solution is certainly not safe if someone is going to die and, whoever told you that things should be easy?

fairly safe for the future victims of this animal , and those like him though isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Only In Ireland we have this scum. We're a ****ing joke... I'm moving once finished uni

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Only In Ireland we have this scum. We're a ****ing joke... I'm moving once finished uni

to where ?

• Advertisement

to where ?

No idea anywhere but here. Canada,Middle East,Switzerland,Cayman Islands not sure we'll see

You obviously don't know much about other countries if you think only Ireland has people like this. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    You obviously don't know much about other countries if you think only Ireland has people like this. Don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.

I was being sarcastic, most of the countries listed above don't have soft laws and there police are armed to the teeth well able to deal with scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Would love to invite him over for a chat some time.....

I was being sarcastic, most of the countries listed above don't have soft laws and there police are armed to the teeth well able to deal with scumbags.

Canada has a major drug problem including meth and opioid abuse which has seen an increase in the number of reported crimes and reports of police officers being shot and injured but has similar sentence lengths reported overall when compare
    https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/jr/jf-pf/2017/jan01.html

Switzerland has a number of projects to reduce crime rates, but is still seen to be lenient in terms of sentencing

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/criminal-sentencing_why-switzerland-is-lenient-with-criminals/44655910

The middle east, well that's not a country but most if not all of the countries that make up the middle east are tougher on crime than European countries, but their also more prone to abuse and corruption in terms of applying sentences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Most of the countries? You've only named two :confused:

Most of the countries? You've only named two :confused:

Canada,Switzerland,Cayman Islands,Qatar,UAE,Australia

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Canada has a major drug problem including meth and opioid abuse which has seen an increase in the number of reported crimes and reports of police officers being shot and injured but has similar sentence lengths reported overall when compare
    https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/jr/jf-pf/2017/jan01.html

Switzerland has a number of projects to reduce crime rates, but is still seen to be lenient in terms of sentencing

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society/criminal-sentencing_why-switzerland-is-lenient-with-criminals/44655910

The middle east, well that's not a country but most if not all of the countries that make up the middle east are tougher on crime than European countries, but their also more prone to abuse and corruption in terms of applying sentences.

I don’t take drugs so I won’t be around them people if I decide to move to Canada.

Qatar/UAE/Bahrain/Kuwait Gulf states of the Middle East..

already lived in Qatar for a few years was practically zero crime there probably safest country I have ever visited.

If only we where as tough on crime as Qatar is, they don’t put up with any bs over there no drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It has often been claimed that the war on drugs has been lost but as far as I am concerned it has never been fought, at least not in the west. In recent years however, Duterte has waged war on drugs and it seems to me like the drug people have surrendered en masse, This is clear because after a few thousand drugs dealers were shot by police, more than a million of them handed themselves in. Having handed themselves in, the Philippines has the most crowded prisons in the world but from Duterte`s point of view, crowded prisons is not a problem, it is part of the solution as it enhances the punishment.

So, in the Philippines the war on drugs has largely been won and the remnant drug dealers are a bit like the late Pol Pot, who hid in the jungle until time came for him to go to hell. Given that a war on drugs has never been fought in Ireland, should it be? I`d be perfectly happy to stuff every cell in Mountjoy from floor to ceiling and then bring in school kids to see what happens to such people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

It has often been claimed that the war on drugs has been lost but as far as I am concerned it has never been fought, at least not in the west. In recent years however, Duterte has waged war on drugs and it seems to me like the drug people have surrendered en masse, This is clear because after a few thousand drugs dealers were shot by police, more than a million of them handed themselves in. Having handed themselves in, the Philippines has the most crowded prisons in the world but from Duterte`s point of view, crowded prisons is not a problem, it is part of the solution as it enhances the punishment.

So, in the Philippines the war on drugs has largely been won and the remnant drug dealers are a bit like the late Pol Pot, who hid in the jungle until time came for him to go to hell. Given that a war on drugs has never been fought in Ireland, should it be? I`d be perfectly happy to stuff every cell in Mountjoy from floor to ceiling and then bring in school kids to see what happens to such people.

So, what you’re saying is that you are willing to break the law, to punish those who break the law?

Advertisement