Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing my own planning search

Options
  • 04-09-2019 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭

I am purchasing a house and my solictor has suggested I do my own planning search. Have you any advice on this at all?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

You should ask your engineer to carry out one. They can go into the planning office and check planning for the house and area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dolbhad wrote: »
    You should ask your engineer to carry out one. They can go into the planning office and check planning for the house and area.

Or you can go on line and do it your self?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's fairly straight forward. It's all online. Just look around the vicinity of the house to see if there are any planning applications in progress or approved that could affect the house.

I am not sure what an engineer adds to this process

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Go to the local councils planning website.
    Zoom in on the area, make sure you have the appropriate layers ticked so you can see everything (what's granted, currently under consideration and refused)

Click into each application and read it/look at the drawings.

I'd also heavily recommend reading the relevant sections of your councils development plan for the area and checking to see if there's a local area development plan too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    Or you can go on line and do it your self?

Worth noting that the online system does not contain every planning file. Some are not online and will have to be checked at the public counter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dubrov wrote: »
    It's fairly straight forward. It's all online. Just look around the vicinity of the house to see if there are any planning applications in progress or approved that could affect the house.

I am not sure what an engineer adds to this process

Its not about checking the vicinity, although that's a small part.
    Its about checking previous planning applications on the site you are buying and then using that as a basis to check if the site is planning compliant or has some legacy outstanding planning issues such as outstanding conditions for payments, bonds or levies which the new owner will be responsible for if they buy and they are not complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never heard of a solictor suggest this and for older properties the online system can be dangerously useless - e.g. my own house's permission is not listed* even though other 70s ones are; often only summaries or partial docs are up prior to about 2005 (or later!)

*I've seen the full file which my solicitor got on paper from the council

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Mine did, to check what we were buying matched the estate agents promises, to check that the development plan for the estate was in line with our expectation and to make sure there were no nasty surprise developments in the surrounding area.

We were buying a new build, so the focus was on checking that what were buying per the planning permission was what we expected. The engineers check only really comes into it after the house is built which for a new build is well down the line.

For a new build checking the vicinity and local area plan can be very important.
    I’ve seen people swear there are no apartments going in in their new build estate because the estate agent told them so, whereas there is clearly a planning permission for apartment blocks by the same developer just beside their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Every council is different. Cork County has a great online system but only goes back a few years. Cork city online doesn't actually get you anywhere. So you’ll have to physically go in to planning office and plan through files. Unless your familiar with planning, even if you find something you may not know if it’s good or bad. Also I’m Cork, over flooding a few years ago, some planning as been destroyed but engineers in Cork have been keeping a list of planning destroyed and keeping copies of they come across it with solicitors.

Advertisement