If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QUERY: LG OLED 65B8S - Netflix and ARC

Options
  • 04-09-2019 9:27am

Hi Guys,
    Just got an Oed LG 65B8S.
    Having one issue so I thought I'd ask you before going down a wormhole trying to fix it first.

Onkyo NR-515 using ARC for Netflix 4K  the sound is dropping for a split second randomly.
    At first I assumed the current HDMI cable was to blame (no issues with old TV same set up).
    But there is no problem with the sound in youtube or plex apps using the arc.

I know a quick thing to try would be use optical but I dont have one long enough as I've a wall mount/hidden gear set up .

I'm starting to suspect the Netflix app,
    any known Issues ?

(all apps/firmware up to date on tv,don't know about the receiver)

Thanks

Edit- I seem to have put the wrong model number in the title :o

Mod Comment I’ve fixed the thread title.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Guys,
    Just got an Oed LG 65B8S.
    Having one issue so I thought I'd ask you before going down a wormhole trying to fix it first.

Onkyo NR-515 using ARC for Netflix 4K  the sound is dropping for a split second randomly.
    At first I assumed the current HDMI cable was to blame (no issues with old TV same set up).
    But there is no problem with the sound in youtube or plex apps using the arc.

I know a quick thing to try would be use optical but I dont have one long enough as I've a wall mount/hidden gear set up .

I'm starting to suspect the Netflix app,
    any known Issues ?

(all apps/firmware up to date on tv,don't know about the receiver)

Thanks

Edit- I seem to have put the wrong model number in the title :o

Mod Comment I’ve fixed the thread title.
    Hi BrownFinger.

Not something I've came up against before myself on the LG OLED's. Although from a quick internet search seems others have the same issue from the pre loaded Netflix app on a different number of LG sets. Seems in could be a combination of both the TV and the App not playing ball together.

I know you say you don't think its the cable but have you tried a different one just in case? Some say that once they change to a better quality cable it fixed it.

What HDMI cable do you currently use?

You could also try this:
    Go to Settings/All Settings/Sound/Sound Out/HDMI ARC/Digital Sound Out - PCM. The default was Auto under Sound Out.
    Not ideal but seems to have corrected it for others.

Let me know your thoughts.

I'll try a different cable later anyways.

I don't know what brand/how old the wall cable is but I did buy this one to replace it recently 

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/PREMIUM-HDMI-Cable-High-Speed-FULL-HD-4K-2160p-1080p-3D-TV-Short-Long-2M-5M-15M/202101730068?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502095118412&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

unfortunately it wouldn't fit down the conduit but I will try it later,
    If the problem stays I can rule out the current cable.
    I'll report back later.

I'll try a different cable later anyways.

I don't know what brand/how old the wall cable is but I did buy this one to replace it recently 

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/PREMIUM-HDMI-Cable-High-Speed-FULL-HD-4K-2160p-1080p-3D-TV-Short-Long-2M-5M-15M/202101730068?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502095118412&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

unfortunately it wouldn't fit down the conduit but I will try it later,
    If the problem stays I can rule out the current cable.
    I'll report back later.
    Hey BrownFinger.

Is it 15 meters in length?
    If it is that long this will also not help the situation, 15 meter is usually what we would recommend as the limit for HDMI before converting to CAT 5 or 6. It also doesn't look like its an Active HDMI cable?
    Any cable this length that we would sell would be Active to help boost the signal.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-12975-qed-performance-active-hdmi-15m-active-hdmi-lead.aspx

The cable that is already in the wall depending on how old it is may not be compatible as the certification for HDMI has changed several times over the last few years and it may have issues with a 4K signal.

Yes its 15m ,
    sure I'll see how it goes.
    But as I said its working with other apps!

Yes its 15m ,
    sure I'll see how it goes.
    But as I said its working with other apps!
    Hey BrownFinger.

I have came up against many many problems with long HDMI runs over my 15 years here at Richersounds.

Was you last TV running the same setup of 4K Netflix via ARC HDMI?
    Does the issue happen when watching a 1080p movie on Newflix also or it just the 4K stuff?
    Are you viewing 4K content on the other Apps and does the resolution on the OLED show as 4K or HDR when its playing? 

Have you also just used the TV speakers to see if the drop out is still there with 4K content via the Netflix app, in-case it has nothing to do with cables and it is the app itself causing the issue.

Hopefully we will get to the bottom of it for you.

• Advertisement

Old TV wasnt 4K,
    Sound all good via TV speaker only.

"Does the issue happen when watching a 1080p movie on Newflix also or it just the 4K stuff?"
    Good question,will investigate this more.I was focused on the 4k content .

Yes I was using 4k content on youtube via the app using arc and it was spot on.

I have ordered a suitable optical cable as a backup plan (just the thoughts of going to the attic ..........)

thanks

Old TV wasnt 4K,
    Sound all good via TV speaker only.

"Does the issue happen when watching a 1080p movie on Newflix also or it just the 4K stuff?"
    Good question,will investigate this more.I was focused on the 4k content .

Yes I was using 4k content on youtube via the app using arc and it was spot on.

I have ordered a suitable optical cable as a backup plan (just the thoughts of going to the attic ..........)

thanks
    Hey BrownFinger.

I would be surprised if the cable it the wall is a full 4K one if it been in there a while.
    When watching 4K on youtube is it definitely outputting full 4K resolution to the TV?

How old would the HDMI in the wall be as if it before 4K was released commercially then I would be surprised if it will be capable of HDR.
    I know HDMI's can be a touchy subject in terms of quality but the rating does come into play. 
    For 4k and HDR all HDMI cables in the system must be HDMI 2.0. HDMI 1.4 will support 4K video but only up to 30 frames per second, most online content would be 60fps.
    HDMI 2.1 will also arrive soon enough which can cope with up to 10K.

Try it with the Full HD content though and let me know if you're having the same issue.

bit of an update.
    Tried again last night but all sound via the arc was chopping.
    Found another new hdmi cable 10m and tried that,still the same.
    Tried the PCM sound setting (and all others) no change.

The ARC light on the receiver flicks off when the sound cuts out.

I was able to get an optical cable to test and the problem disappears via optical.
    I'm not going to waste any more time with the ARC,might revisit it when I get a new receiver  but for the moment Im going to get an optical into the wall.

BF

Hey BrownFinger.

Thanks for the update.

If we get a free moment here at the store I'll get on of our service guys to drop LG a little call to see if there is anything they can recommend.

Is there any way you could get the TV within one meter of the amp and I could post out a free AudioQuest Pearl 1m for you to try as I know this cable inside out and use them at home myself. 
    At least I know these cables are more than capable of the job at hand.

I know its probably most hassle than you need.

Thanks for the offer but I'll leave well enough alone for the moment.
    I'll hopefully be getting a new 4k receiver later in the year so I'll see what happens then.

BF

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer but I'll leave well enough alone for the moment.
    I'll hopefully be getting a new 4k receiver later in the year so I'll see what happens then.

BF
    No worries BrownFinger.

In the mean time should we find out anything from LG I'll drop you a PM or post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.