Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is planning required?

• 04-09-2019 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have a garage attached to the side of my detached house and the garage doors are in dire need of replacing. It’s currently a single door and double doors.
    I was going to replace the single door and brick up the double door and add a window for light (I keep weights and a bit of gym equipment in it). Is planning required for this as it is the front of the house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Yes

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Yes

I would disagree.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2000/act/30/section/4/enacted/en/html

Exempted development. Selection 4

(1) The following shall be exempted developments for the purposes of this Act—

(h) development consisting of the carrying out of works for the maintenance, improvement or other alteration of any structure, being works which affect only the interior of the structure or which do not materially affect the external appearance of the structure so as to render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures

I would argue that changing from a set of doors to window would not render the appearance inconsistent with the character of the structure or of neighbouring structures. (Of course one would need to see the actual situation on the ground before taking this view, but typically speaking I would view the above development as exempt)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kieran. wrote: »
    Of course one would need to see the actual situation on the ground before taking this view
    Is planning required? ‘Yes’ in that way the OP gets a professional (site visit) opinion or sends in section 5 application so council confirm exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭itsthisyear

Thanks all. I spoke to the council and they have suggested to organise a preplanning meeting so that way I will get clarity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks all. I spoke to the council and they have suggested to organise a preplanning meeting so that way I will get clarity.

Pre-Planning will guide you what will be acceptable.
    A Section 5 application will tell you if planning is required.

But, it will be cheaper and quicker to get a local planning agent out to give an opinion. If it’s exempt they will give you an opinion on paper. You’ll need one in the future anyway so may as well get it now.

Advertisement