Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange bush identification

Options
  • 04-09-2019 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

This bush flowers early in the year, a pink flower. Sometimes it can flower in parts again later in the year. It has a strange apple like bud which contains seeds. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭FuzzyFrog

Inside of fruit...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a quince, which has an edible fruit (or at least you can cook it, make quince jelly, which is very nice), you wouldn't just eat them.

They are chaenomeles, but not sure which one, the leaves look a bit big to me. Very pretty early flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

put it through plant snap it reckons
    Chaenomeles japonica, known as Maule's quince, is a species of flowering quince. It is a thorny deciduous shrub that is commonly cultivated. It is shorter than another commonly cultivated species C. speciosa, growing to only about 1 m in height. The fruit is called Kusa-boke (--- Kusa-boke-) in Japanese.

That's it alright, I really like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Have a couple of the exact same plants in my garden and this year seems to have had way more fruit than any other for me.

• Advertisement

pawrick wrote: »
    Have a couple of the exact same plants in my garden and this year seems to have had way more fruit than any other for me.

100% same here!

Advertisement