Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think about the Situation between Cllr. Lawlor and Cllr. Staples?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

After becoming mayor of Wexford town Labour councillor George Lawlor - who is a close ally of Brendan Howlin - made a secret €400 payment to a Fine Gael councillor.

Councillor George Lawlor - parliamentary assistant to Labour Party leader Mr Howlin - said he paid Fine Gael councillor Frank Staples €400 to cover Mr Staple's expenses as deputy mayor in 2014. He admitted the payment sounded “dodgy” and said that it was a mistake not to disclose it.

The payment was made after a cross-party deal was struck between six of the 10 councillors in Wexford district to ensure all but one of them would serve as mayor of the town for one year each. Lawlor explained that the arrangement would see himself and four other councillors serve as mayor between 2014 and 2019, with Staples losing out but serving as deputy mayor for three years.

As the €500 allowance for deputy mayor had just been abolished, the three councillors agreed to each pay €400 to Staples as “a token gesture if he was driving somewhere or needed a shirt and tie”, Mr Lawlor said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Smacks of corruption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

vicwatson wrote: »
    Smacks of corruption

You'll no doubt be ecstatic to discover that some virtue-signalling SF nobody has joined you in the pulpit!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/council-probes-howlin-allys-secret-payment-38500872.html

So what favour do you (and the SF gobdaw) reckon was sought or obtained from this "corrupt" payment of €400?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Portsalon wrote: »
    You'll no doubt be ecstatic to discover that some virtue-signalling SF nobody has joined you in the pulpit!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/council-probes-howlin-allys-secret-payment-38500872.html

So what favour do you (and the SF gobdaw) reckon was sought or obtained from this "corrupt" payment of €400?

You'd expect me to talk to you with a post like that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

vicwatson wrote: »
    You'd expect me to talk to you with a post like that :rolleyes:

Only if you had something intelligent to add to your earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Portsalon wrote: »
    Only if you had something intelligent to add to your earlier post.

Can't help but get the feeling that you know more about it, why not enlighten us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

My own two cents - It's far too small money to give much a toss about. I have dealt with Lawlor about a wide range of matters and have found him an excellent public representative. I am less familiar with Staples and Forde but their work for the County is deserving of respect as well, and wouldn't describe either of them as a "gobdaw". €400 is bloody small money to start getting upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

My own two cents - It's far too small money to give much a toss about. I have dealt with Lawlor about a wide range of matters and have found him an excellent public representative. I am less familiar with Staples and Forde but their work for the County is deserving of respect as well, and wouldn't describe either of them as a "gobdaw". €400 is bloody small money to start getting upset about.

Not sure if somebody struggling to pay rent or put food on the table would agree that €400 is small money. These things are always relative.
    My own opinion is that public representatives are always chomping at the bit to get a bit of good publicity, why would they want to keep an altruistic gesture secret? Doesn't add up.

Advertisement