Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biting Toddler

• 04-09-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

I am in bad need of advice.
    My son is 2 and a half and has an awful habit of biting. It started with me and my husband - he would bite when playing or excited. We would stop playing say no etc.
    Now he has a 1 year old sister who he has bitten a few times. He is with a childminder 3 days a week and last week he bit one of the other kids. I am completely mortified and don't know what to do about it.
    I have tried obviously saying no, time outs getting him to apologise. I even tried nipping him back. Nothing works.
    I'm so upset at the thoughts of him hurting another child. Anyone been there? Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

A little one in our lads minders was at the same for a while at about the same age, she bit our guy too. Then she just stopped, its most likely just a phase, could be he is just looking for attention or just cant Express himself yet. Just talk to him at eye level explaining that he cant do that as it makes you sad and hopefully it will pass before too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I think a lot of kids go through this phase and it's normally just a phase. Our little guy kept doing it for a while and we did everything you are doing and nothing worked. Then he just stopped doing it of his own accord.

Our guy bit one of the kids at creche too so I understand how you feel. I literally wanted the ground to swallow me up :( But in good news, it was the one and only time he ever did it (at creche).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ah first of all every sympathy: my kids are being bitten at the Childminder’s at the moment (and I got bitten yesterday ouch like!), and while it’s awful, my middle child was a biter. That’s worse so I really get it.

What I did with her was ignore her. If she bit someone I gave her absolutely zero attention. No giving out, no time outs nothing. I picked up the child who had been bitten (95% of the time her sister) and fuss over her, give her a treat, or a hug or sit down and play with her. I wish I had done it from the start because after 2 months of biting and me losing my **** and giving out and using time outs etc, this completely stopped the biting in a week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I had it with mine hitting others when my first was two.Took me months to figure out that I when I made a fuss out of the hitting, she kept doing it.
    It's hard when it is someone's else's child they have bitten (particularly a stranger's) but cyning's advise is good.

Advertisement