Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to motor insurance information

Options
  • 04-09-2019 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Hopefully I am posting this in the right place. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how Dublin bus could have gotten my wife's info and insurance details from just her registration, without any contact with her or her consent. It feel like it must be a breach of GDPR that they could have done this.

Just for some context, her insurance company contacted her informing her that a passenger was injured on a Dublin due to the driver breaking hard. Dublin bus have named her as liable and claimed that the bus broke so hard because she pulled out in front of them. There was no accident, no collision, no communication between her and the bus driver, no Garda called etc.

I'm just really annoyed about the whole thing and feel like they should not have gotten her information without some form of contact or consent. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurers can apply to the MIBI for details of insurer on any given vehicle involved in an accident. I presume (not certain) that Dublin Bus have the same access, given that they have a self insurance exemption.

It works like this Dublin Bus contacts the MIBI for details relating to reg 191D12345. The MIBI check their data base and find out that the insurer is Aviva (for example). The MIBI contact Aviva to advise that their client was involved in an incident involving Dublin Bus and could they investigate. Aviva then contact their client to advise a claim has been lodged and they begin investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gar44 wrote: »
    There was no accident, no collision, no communication between her and the bus driver, no Garda called etc.

FWIW, Dublin Bus do have CCTV. This would much reduce the chance of their making a false claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hi Guys,

Hopefully I am posting this in the right place. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how Dublin bus could have gotten my wife's info and insurance details from just her registration, without any contact with her or her consent. It feel like it must be a breach of GDPR that they could have done this.

Just for some context, her insurance company contacted her informing her that a passenger was injured on a Dublin due to the driver breaking hard. Dublin bus have named her as liable and claimed that the bus broke so hard because she pulled out in front of them. There was no accident, no collision, no communication between her and the bus driver, no Garda called etc.

I'm just really annoyed about the whole thing and feel like they should not have gotten her information without some form of contact or consent. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
    It's not clear that they have got her information, or very much of it. All that Dublin Bus appears to know is that car reg no 19D12345 is insured by the ABC insurance company, and that's information that is publicly displayed on the insurance disc. (True, they didn't get the information by looking at the insurance disc. But the point is the information is already publicly available.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin Bus self insure up to some large amount (millions) and as such are the insurance firm

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Based on this, do Dublin Bus actually have anything other than the registration number of the vehicle?
    There was no accident
    It seems there may have been.
    no Garda called
    How do you know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . her insurance company contacted her informing her that a passenger was injured on a Dublin due to the driver breaking hard . . . There was no accident . . .
    You think Dublin Bus has lied to the insurance company about the braking and the injury?

Advertisement