Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Music ‘For You’

Options
  • 04-09-2019 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

Do the ‘For You’ recommendations in Apple Music baffle anyone else or is it just me?

According to their spiel they’re carefully curated based on your listening history and likes (or something to that effect) but I keep getting the same stuff recommended to me day after day despite the fact that I have ‘disliked’ it and have disliked all other albums from these artists that were recommended to me.

Some of the stuff isn’t stuff I’d ever listen to and never have listened to and there aren’t any similar artists in my library so I’d love to know where they’re geting them from. And if I dislike them, surely their algorithms should stop recommending them to me. Some days, of the 20 or so artists and playlists that are shown, I have disliked over half of them previously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Do the ‘For You’ recommendations in Apple Music baffle anyone else or is it just me?

According to their spiel they’re carefully curated based on your listening history and likes (or something to that effect) but I keep getting the same stuff recommended to me day after day despite the fact that I have ‘disliked’ it and have disliked all other albums from these artists that were recommended to me.

Some of the stuff isn’t stuff I’d ever listen to and never have listened to and there aren’t any similar artists in my library so I’d love to know where they’re geting them from. And if I dislike them, surely their algorithms should stop recommending them to me. Some days, of the 20 or so artists and playlists that are shown, I have disliked over half of them previously.

i like it a lot. is mostly on the money for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

25 tracks in my Favourites Mix of which only one (Coldplay) I would actually skip. Spot on for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It must just be me then. I get awful stuff recommended. For example, for the past couple of weeks I’ve been getting a ‘Tiki Party Essentials’ playlist on my list every couple of days. There is no way in hell they could have gotten that from what I listen to.

I am mainly a rock fan (but like a bit of alt-country too) so I can see why a Pearl Jam live album appeared in my list one day. But I’m not a PJ fan so hit dislike. But since then, a different PJ live album had appeared every day and to each one I am hitting dislike. This has been going on for at least 2 weeks now. I know PJ went through a stage of releasing all their gigs on CD so am I going to have to go through and dislike every single one when they are appear on my list every day for the next God knows how long?

Doodah7 wrote: »
    25 tracks in my Favourites Mix of which only one (Coldplay) I would actually skip. Spot on for me.

Actually my ‘Favourites Mix’ is alright as that just takes songs from my library or stuff I’ve listened to. It’s the other 20 or so recommendations that are awful.

I’m looking to discover new music but not getting much help from ‘For You’.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I found Apple Music as a whole just awful for my music taste. None of the playlists it gave me were any use and nothing I would listen to more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gave up on Apple Music. The suggestions were rubbish and I really didn't like the app after they updated it.

Spotify's "For You" significantly better for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find the "For You" section to be bang on for me and I have discovered some great new music and artists through it.

I wonder do you need to retell the app your tastes like when you first sign up.

That used to be easy to do, select "For you", your profile and then "Artists for you" but that option is not there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Despite the fact that my 10 year old daughter keeps commandeering my phone and playing the pop music she’s into that I’m not (and adding to to my library) the For You playlist isn’t a bad stab at picking things out that I might be interested in giving a spin. The genres I listed when I set up Apple Music at the beginning must be a significant factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I don’t get much from the New Music Mix myself, and the new albums that I’d tend to listen to never seem to be recommended in the section. The Favourites Mix is excellent for me though. Always find it matches perfectly and picks the right tracks to group together.

I do have the same problem where I’ll get recommended a song that I disliked a while back and it keeps popping up.

Just an update on this, I'm still getting a different Pearl Jam live album every day despite disliking them every time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't use the "New Music Mix" anymore as I found it recommended me a lot of hip-hop/rap. I have no idea why. I have none in my library and always "disliked" it when it appeared, but it kept coming up. Just had another look there, and yep at least 2 or 3 rap tracks.

I do use "For You" a lot to find recently played albums/playlists and for the New Releases section which I find pretty good for alerting me to new albums from artists I like.

Just an update on this, I'm still getting a different Pearl Jam live album every day despite disliking them every time.

A week on I'm still getting new Pearl Jam live albums recommended to me every day. I checked their library on Apple Music and they have 230 live albums and if 'For You' refreshes twice a day and I've gone through about 40 of them so far, there's still another 100 days of disliking ahead of me.

I feel like Apple Music is trolling me at this stage.

Advertisement