Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual dilemma

Options
  • 04-09-2019 3:55pm

Reading other threads here I feel my problem is very different and will be hard to imagine for some.

I work in the Public sector on a contract. I recently got moved to Dublin with a promotion and a pay rise on a 9 month contract. Where I work is small, quiet and I am the only other full-time member of staff. Apart from my Manager, the other 3 staff members are part time. I commute 2.5 hours each day (home and back).

I have literally done nothing since I got her 5 weeks ago. My job depends on clients and there aren't any. It seems they are trying to keep this position going - if they say we have no clients and no work funding will be pulled (we are 100% Government funded).

I have made suggestions and offered to help other people but they have nothing to do either. Its cracking me up. This isn't just a temporary blip, I've looked at client figures in the last year and they are appalling. Apart from the pay rise there is nothing good about this. I want to be busy, be productive, get job satisfaction but its not possible. I feel my morale has nose dived and I'm losing any skills I had.

I am applying for another role in an office close to home, where I worked before (previous job spec). This role is only be part time but I think I will take it if I get it . It means a lot less money, but no commute, better work life balance, being busy and productive, being happier.
    I also applied for a 2nd job today in my home town and have already got a call back for 2nd stage assessment.

Its so hard to know what to do. I am on 7K more in my salary but with higher tax, commuting costs to Dublin and a very long day its not worth it if I'm doing nothing.

am I mad to leave this job if I get another one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your probably on less in your current job if you truly work it out and cost in you time. If your not happy go.

Your probably on less in your current job if you truly work it out and cost in you time. If your not happy go.

yeah I've been doing my sums on this the last few days. With longer days, higher tax, more spent on food as I've less time to cook, commuting costs, there's very little difference at the end of the day. And I'd like to be happy in my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Sometimes it’s worth suffering longer hours and a bad commute for experience but it doesn’t sound like you are getting any. No brainer to move on ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

There could be some opportunity here.
    Do you need to clock in and clock out? Any chance you could work from home occasionally - one day a week? Would someone miss you if you took an extended lunch-break, or perhaps nipped out for an extra hour during the day? Would your manager permit you to do some personal development -like do a course for a few hours during the day in Dublin, or even some distance learning at your desk?

id have a word with the manager and and see what you could be doing on a longer term basis, get a project or something strategic or policy/research based under your belt if you genuinely have no day-to-day work.

if theres really nothing doing then you sound like youd be best moving on, but try to make it the role youd like first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

am I mad to leave this job if I get another one?

No, but bear in mind you got a promotion (even if you're not doing anything), so remember to reflect that on your CV, and aim for the same level again in your next job.

While you're job hunting, antix80 has some good suggestions, but I'd very much concentrate on the training aspect - either company sponsored, or at least self-led. If you're twiddling your thumbs all day reading boards, set aside a couple of hours a day to practise new skills. With no idea what you do, maybe you could learn some advanced Excel skills from YouTube, or "shadow" someone in marketing to see how you could attract more clients.

Brush up your PowerPoint skills by putting together fancy slides on "where we are, where we want to be, and how we'll get there".

During quiet periods at work it's very easy to drift, so getting yourself a structure will help your sanity, even if that structure is "do the crossword until 9, then 1 hour of Excel practise, then 15 minutes coffee"...

antix80 wrote: »
    There could be some opportunity here.
    Do you need to clock in and clock out? Any chance you could work from home occasionally - one day a week? Would someone miss you if you took an extended lunch-break, or perhaps nipped out for an extra hour during the day? Would your manager permit you to do some personal development -like do a course for a few hours during the day in Dublin, or even some distance learning at your desk?

My role is face to face client based (if there were any) so I cant work from home. Training has to be in-house only , and there is currently none on the calendar, we cant do other courses on work time. I possibly could do distance learning but really is this what I'm paid to do so it goes against the grain with me? I nipped out the last two days and even the novelty has worn off that! I'm just one of those people, my work time is my work time, I don't want to spend it going shopping in the city centre.

Thoie wrote: »
    No, but bear in mind you got a promotion (even if you're not doing anything), so remember to reflect that on your CV, and aim for the same level again in your next job.

While you're job hunting, antix80 has some good suggestions, but I'd very much concentrate on the training aspect - either company sponsored, or at least self-led. If you're twiddling your thumbs all day reading boards, set aside a couple of hours a day to practise new skills. With no idea what you do, maybe you could learn some advanced Excel skills from YouTube, or "shadow" someone in marketing to see how you could attract more clients.

Brush up your PowerPoint skills by putting together fancy slides on "where we are, where we want to be, and how we'll get there".

During quiet periods at work it's very easy to drift, so getting yourself a structure will help your sanity, even if that structure is "do the crossword until 9, then 1 hour of Excel practise, then 15 minutes coffee"...

thanks, good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Da Optimist

My role is face to face client based (if there were any) so I cant work from home. Training has to be in-house only , and there is currently none on the calendar, we cant do other courses on work time. I possibly could do distance learning but really is this what I'm paid to do so it goes against the grain with me? I nipped out the last two days and even the novelty has worn off that! I'm just one of those people, my work time is my work time, I don't want to spend it going shopping in the city centre.

Sounds like the Citizens Information.

Sounds like the Citizens Information.

I wish, I worked for them before and was run off my feet and absolutely loved the work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement