Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work contract

Options
  • 04-09-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I hope someone would be able to advise me on this. I work in a school office for the last 12 years. I was given a temp contract at the start, and due to several changes of principal, this was never changed.
    There was a new principal a couple of years ago and it was decided to review all ancillary contracts, however mine couldn't be found.
    I eventually found my copy of the contract and asked could I be entitled to some sick pay.
    Following on, got a new contract in Sept with 5 days sick pay per year.
    However, I was out sick in December for 5 days. And in June for 3 days I was out again, which I wasnt paid for.
    When I questioned this, I was told that it wasnt clear whether 5 days per year was for the school year or calendar year.

I have just been told that the advice given was that it was on a rolling 12 month period, which means that I shouldnt be paid for the 3 days, and wont be entitled to sick pay again until December. Is this right, feels a bit unfair to me?? Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

What's the problem?

You have 5 sick days per year running from December - November each year. You used all your sick days so obviously you won't get more until the next period.

That's pretty standard. However 5 days is a bit cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I agree that five days is pretty poor offering, and I would see nothing wrong with you asking for more, say double that.

That said, as there is no legal requirement to pay sick leave, you could of course be told that you are lucky to be getting anything, and you would not have an real comeback on that.

I would still ask though. Two weeks sick leave is not that unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

skallywag wrote: »
    I agree that five days is pretty poor offering, and I would see nothing wrong with you asking for more, say double that.

That said, as there is no legal requirement to pay sick leave, you could of course be told that you are lucky to be getting anything, and you would not have an real comeback on that.

I would still ask though. Two weeks sick leave is not that unreasonable.

I assume that you mean two weeks' PAID sick leave?

So where do you reckon that the school will find the funds to pay the sick leave? Perhaps they should ask the parents to pay it?

Portsalon wrote: »
    I assume that you mean two weeks' PAID sick leave?

So where do you reckon that the school will find the funds to pay the sick leave? Perhaps they should ask the parents to pay it?

Yes, paid leave.

I am not familiar with what the norms are in education. Do teachers normally have paid sick leave as part of their contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yes, paid leave.

I am not familiar with what the norms are in education. Do teachers normally have paid sick leave as part of their contract?

Op isn’t a teacher.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Op isn’t a teacher.

I am aware of that.

My question was more along the lines of what the norms may be in the education sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I am aware of that.

My question was more along the lines of what the norms may be in the education sector.

Administration staff may not be employed by the Dept of Education and would have very different contracts to teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Dav010 wrote: »
    Administration staff may not be employed by the Dept of Education and would have very different contracts to teachers.

Correct. Hence my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yes, paid leave.

The teachers are on a contract with the Dept of Education.
    The auxiliary staff are paid out of an allowance given to the school for that purpose.
    5 days sick leave is quite good .

Advertisement