Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow card in United Superthread

Options
  • 04-09-2019 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

A poster recently came into the United Superthread and directed a number of insults at a long-time (and long bullied) poster in the thread. I advised that the poster making the insults (some of which are still visible in the thread and unpunished) would be best ignored and was immediately yellow carded for apparently breaching the charter.

According to the charter it is a breach to inform "a user that you have/will be putting them on your ignore list. Advising others to do the same."

I said absolutely nothing about an "ignore list" in my post and I was not informing the poster in question about anything. For the record, I haven't placed the poster on my ignore list. My advice was simply for the other user to not bother engaging with someone who repeatedly insulted them. Personally, I think the yellow here was a bit harsh.

Furthermore, two of the insults directed at the other user have still not been carded, one implies that the user is a teenager (a clear dig at their intellect), the other implies that he is a drug user. The third insult (calling him a "little prick") was wisely edited before action was taken, and the first insult (implying that he was an adolescent who should be ignored), was, ironically, only carded a day or two after my offence (which was the exact same minus the adolescent insult), and only after I reported it 2 or 3 times.

The mod who carded me said it was for being "uncivil". According to the Boards FAQ, being civil is defined as "don't be a dick". Can someone explain to me how implying that another poster is a teenager/drugs user is "civil" and therefore not worthy of a yellow card, but suggesting that the person throwing out these insults should be ignored is considered by the mods to be uncivil and an immediate yellow card offence?

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Two things to begin with.

1. As per the DRP, you must engage with the moderator to seek resolution first. Have you done so?

2. Other posters interactions with moderators are not relevant to DRP and will not be dealt with here. This forum is for dealing with disputes between moderators and members, not as between two members.

If you have not engaged with the moderator, please do so now as the PMs between you and the moderator form a part of this process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Two things to begin with.

1. As per the DRP, you must engage with the moderator to seek resolution first. Have you done so?

2. Other posters interactions with moderators are not relevant to DRP and will not be dealt with here. This forum is for dealing with disputes between moderators and members, not as between two members.

If you have not engaged with the moderator, please do so now as the PMs between you and the moderator form a part of this process.

1. Yes I messaged the mod 5 days ago and received no response.

2. I appreciate that other posters' transgressions are not relevant here. What I do not appreciate is the completely arbitrary and selective application of the charter. Had the poster who was directing insults and breaching the charter been punished accordingly, I wouldn't have had to advise the victim of his posts to ignore him. And by ignore I meant not engage with, not ignore as in put on his ignore list, which is the offence specified in the charter that only sometimes applies to some people apparently.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Again, point 2 is really not a matter for this DRP. There is an extensive feedback thread in Soccer at the end of every season for raising these issues together with the Help Desk forum should something arise beyond that process. It's simply not for here.

However, in relation to point 1, please be advised that you will be asked to share the PMs between you and the moderator, as will the moderator, as a part of this process.

In the meantime, I will flag this for the Sports CMods' attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi deaddonkey15,

As hullaballoo said, can you please share your pm exchange with the mod either by posting here or forwarding both sent and received to me, I'll then take a look at it.

As already explained to you, I'll be reviewing your card only and not the other issues you raised.

Thanks.

Admin: Just a reminder that only the OP, relevant Category CMods and Admins can post in a DRP thread unless another is invited to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi deaddonkey15,

Got your PM, thanks.

I'm currently discussing with the mod.

Hi deaddonkey15,

I've reviewed the pm exchange and discussed with the mod.

His view is it was unclear that you were attempting to discuss the card issue as the conversation was more based on 'how come other posts were not sanctioned?' tbh, I can see where he's coming from there.

The mod has said he is willing to discuss the card with you.

I would advise that you keep the discussion strictly to the circumstances of the card and your intentions behind what you posted.

Please contact the mod again and attempt to resolve this. If that fails, come back here and I will make a ruling on it.

Thanks.

Hi deaddonkey15,

Any progress on this?

Have you contacted the mod again?

I was waiting for him to contact me?

I was waiting for him to contact me?
    Steve wrote: »
    Please contact the mod again and attempt to resolve this.

Sorry if the above was not clear, you need to make contact with the mod and outline your reasons that you think the card was not warranted.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I did originally and he refused to reply. But I will do it again.

Thanks.

I can see discussions are ongoing between yourself and the mod, we'll leave this on hold till that plays out.

This has been resolved amicably with the mod and can be closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement