Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt break 2017 Caddy

Options
  • 04-09-2019 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I have a 2017 VW caddy on which the timing belt has broken, and caused more than €3k of damage. Is this a common occurence? Van has approx 150k km on the clock and is serviced regularly. I'm told the recommended timing belt interval is 200K km.

Engine is 2.0 TDI 75bhp

VW view is tough luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Very very uncommon, it'd be the first case I've heard of, if there's no mitigating factors we aren't aware of. Was it still on it's original belt? Has it a main dealer history? Are you the first owner?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,353 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is the mileage genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gthms

Original Belt, owner from new, simi dealer service history (VW dealer not closeby) . Van is busy but not abused.

I'm very unhappy that VW recommended 200k for replacement, which will almost always be outside warranty. When it breaks 50k km early, they get a free pass.

mickdw wrote: »
    Is the mileage genuine?
    Yes. Mileage genuine.

gthms wrote: »
    Original Belt, owner from new, simi dealer service history (VW dealer not closeby) . Van is busy but not abused.

I'm very unhappy that VW recommended 200k for replacement, which will almost always be outside warranty. When it breaks 50k km early, they get a free pass.

The non VW history scuppers your goodwill chances I'd say, that said the warranty on a Caddy is low. Is it with a VW dealer now?

I've honestly never ever seen that before with that engine, 210k kms is the interval, that's only 120 ish miles which isn't really unthinkable mileage for a belt interval.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

How would a main dealer service history affect the timing belt? Do VW inspect the belt in their 612 point check during a service? (The one where they tell you it needs a belt, but you'll get free wiper blades!!)

Sounds awful early for a belt to let go.

TrailerBob wrote: »
    How would a main dealer service history affect the timing belt? Do VW inspect the belt in their 612 point check during a service? (The one where they tell you it needs a belt, but you'll get free wiper blades!!)

Sounds awful early for a belt to let go.

It wouldn't help prevent the belt from breaking at all.

Where it would help immeasurably is when you are going to the dealer now, cap in hand looking for goodwill when you've never spent a cent with their workshop previously.

Who is the dealer more likely to work hard to help? The person they've never seen before or the person who's been spending a few bob with them? A Caddy with 150k kms should have had 9 services by now. He should ask the fella servicing the van for a better rate on the repair job as he's such a good customer there.

Unfortunately, dealers could hand out freebie jobs like this all day long but they have to make a judgement call on what they want to do and VW push all the goodwill decisions back through the dealer network.

I agree though, it's early on for a belt to let go. Is the diagnosis 100% confirmed OP? What happened you? What checks have they done? Last time I seen a belt break on one of these it was when a cat got tangled in the crank pulley on start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Oh I completely get the dealers angle on it.. it was more of a musing that no actual effect would be had on the belt.. carry on

I would have thought the premium VW charge when you buy new, would be enough to cover the goodwill.
    If their product is not meeting their own guidelines, then what is the premium for?

I dont think they check the timing belt on a service, unless it is close to being due??? Wouldn't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Being 2017 and from new you might stand a chance on consumer law rights. Might be enough to push them into a good will gesture.

• Advertisement

It wouldn't help prevent the belt from breaking at all.

Where it would help immeasurably is when you are going to the dealer now, cap in hand looking for goodwill when you've never spent a cent with their workshop previously.

Who is the dealer more likely to work hard to help? The person they've never seen before or the person who's been spending a few bob with them? A Caddy with 150k kms should have had 9 services by now. He should ask the fella servicing the van for a better rate on the repair job as he's such a good customer there.

Unfortunately, dealers could hand out freebie jobs like this all day long but they have to make a judgement call on what they want to do and VW push all the goodwill decisions back through the dealer network.

I agree though, it's early on for a belt to let go. Is the diagnosis 100% confirmed OP? What happened you? What checks have they done? Last time I seen a belt break on one of these it was when a cat got tangled in the crank pulley on start up.
    Dealer can't explain the break. Said there was no reason they could see.

You obviously understand the trade. I don't. Im just the poor sod who paid 18k for a van and 2 and 1/2 years later is being asked to shell out 000's of € for something that everyone seems to think shouldn't have broken.

Not sure that it is realistic to expect anyone to drive 45 minutes to get a van serviced when there is a reputable garage across the road.

I would hope the dealer would work hard for the guy who bought a new vehicle from them. And when it broke in a major way due to what is obviously a manufacturer defect, that they would make good on a vehicle that is still on finance with them. Otherwise why buy a new van?

No matter where is was serviced, if a belt should last till 200k, then VW should take responsibility when it fails at 150, or revise the replacement mileage. Dealer is quick to point out the long interval for a timing belt when they sell it.

It will almost never fail in warranty.

I wonder if there are any others out there with a similar issue.

The Caddys price vs it's rivals is a lot more down to earth than VW's passenger cars. What's a new one? €17k? A fiat Doblo for example is around 16 iirc.

Belt definitely isn't checked at a service, that's why the replacement interval is there, on any vehicle.

What happened OP? What were your symptoms? Is it with a dealer or have you just contacted one?

What do you mean by OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Have you been in contact with vw ireland directly? I'd be going over the dealer at this point.

OP is original poster..... You

New Caddy my model is €18,945

Belt broke while driving about 80kph.

Dealer has it. In a borrowed van.

pippip wrote: »
    Have you been in contact with vw ireland directly? I'd be going over the dealer at this point.

Duh. my bad.

VW Ireland directly is a call centre I think.

They give you a case number. The case number is more for your call than your complaint.

They seem to work on a script, and they are only interested in referring you to a dealer if you are not in warranty. They seem to have a menu of answers, and if you ask to speak to someone more senior, it's back to the dealership with you.

I got the distinct feeling that they didnt know (or care) what a timing belt was.

You have had it since new with verifiable mileage (service records from legit garage) and it's within the recommended timing belt mileage interval, I'd expect vw to look after this completely.
    Not so much goodwill moreso not being capable of mileage as specified.

gthms wrote: »
    pippip wrote: »

Duh. my bad.

VW Ireland directly is a call centre I think.

They give you a case number. The case number is more for your call than your complaint.

They seem to work on a script, and they are only interested in referring you to a dealer if you are not in warranty. They seem to have a menu of answers, and if you ask to speak to someone more senior, it's back to the dealership with you.

I got the distinct feeling that they didnt know (or care) what a timing belt was.
    I've had my dealings with vw /audi myself.
    I got the rep on the phone batting me away like you describe.
    Do everything in writing to the dealer. Use a solicitor and don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

We had a passat recently very similar engine setup 2015 reading 120km waterpump failed badly would have taken belt out if driven much further though we had no history if millage was genuine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Old thread but I just changed the belt on my 2017 2.0 Diesel Skoda superb.

Interval in 140k miles or 5 years.

I was at 145k, and a year late but pump was very close to going. Bearings were rough as fcuk.

Mechanic says he has seen a lot of that 2.0 D VW engine with timing belt issue.

I had a warning in that I was losing a little coolant and guessed the pump, I was just tardy replacing it, and lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I've a 172 D that was registered late December 2017 ,, so in reality it has been driven since January 2018 .

Same engine 2.0 diesel

It only has 45,000km but this is the 6th year it has been driven .

Mechanic l usually go to doesn't think it it needs a timing belt change because the millage is so low .

I've no intention of changing it maybe I'll just book it in for timing belt and pump .

In reality if I don't do it this year I'd surely need it done next year anyway .

Advertisement