Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stamp 4 Question

• 04-09-2019 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all.

I’ve lived and worked in Ireland for over 10 years. I’ve had a stamp 4 visa as I’m in a relationship with an Irish citizen...always renewed my visa on time, never had any problems, etc.

Every time I come in through Dublin airport, they put me through the ringer. They spend more time with me than they do on those without visas.

I go home to America once a year for about 2 months during the summer and every other year for about a month at Christmas. Total about 3 months each year. I’ve never been told by my gnib officer that I’m not allowed to do this and in my letter there has never been any time limit on time spent outside of Ireland.

My question is, am I not supposed to leave more than a certain time a year? Why do they quiz me for over 5 minutes every time I come in through Dublin at immigration, only to tell me have a good day and welcome home? I’ve been with my partner for over 10 years with no lapse in my visa so I’m confused.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

Time spent outside Ireland shouldn't impact your Stamp 4 permission (unless you are absent for so long without your partner accompanying you that it would cast doubt on the validity of the relationship on which your permission is based, or you and your partner are both absent for so long that they'd no longer be considered a resident here themselves and thus wouldn't be eligible to be your sponsor anymore). It may impact your eligibility for citizenship via naturalisation, however, if you plan to pursue that at some point. I'd wait to see how the whole recent mess regarding "continuous residence" shakes out to see what the new official rules will be, but even the old "discretionary" rules allowed a maximum of six weeks abroad during the year, so three entire months out of the country during your last year before applying for naturalisation would usually have been disqualifying unless you had some sort of exceptional circumstances.

As to why they're questioning you, well, it's their job to make sure you're still complying with the terms of your permission and therefore still allowed to be in the country. Are they just asking you why you have a Stamp 4 and if you are still in a relationship with your partner and whether you and/or your partner still meet the financial requirements and such? I usually get asked similar questions every time I return from holidays; what basis was my Stamp 4 issued on (Critical Skills permit, in my case), where do I work, etc.. The nature of a Stamp 4 is more complex and more permissive than a basic visitor permission, so it's natural that it would attract more scrutiny than some tourist who's just visiting for a week or two and has the return ticket to prove it. Just answer them politely and you'll generally be allowed through quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

dennyk wrote: »
    Time spent outside Ireland shouldn't impact your Stamp 4 permission (unless you are absent for so long without your partner accompanying you that it would cast doubt on the validity of the relationship on which your permission is based, or you and your partner are both absent for so long that they'd no longer be considered a resident here themselves and thus wouldn't be eligible to be your sponsor anymore). It may impact your eligibility for citizenship via naturalisation, however, if you plan to pursue that at some point. I'd wait to see how the whole recent mess regarding "continuous residence" shakes out to see what the new official rules will be, but even the old "discretionary" rules allowed a maximum of six weeks abroad during the year, so three entire months out of the country during your last year before applying for naturalisation would usually have been disqualifying unless you had some sort of exceptional circumstances.

As to why they're questioning you, well, it's their job to make sure you're still complying with the terms of your permission and therefore still allowed to be in the country. Are they just asking you why you have a Stamp 4 and if you are still in a relationship with your partner and whether you and/or your partner still meet the financial requirements and such? I usually get asked similar questions every time I return from holidays; what basis was my Stamp 4 issued on (Critical Skills permit, in my case), where do I work, etc.. The nature of a Stamp 4 is more complex and more permissive than a basic visitor permission, so it's natural that it would attract more scrutiny than some tourist who's just visiting for a week or two and has the return ticket to prove it. Just answer them politely and you'll generally be allowed through quickly enough.

Usual questions - partners name, occupation, my occupation, my address, etc.

Thanks for that. I guess everyone gets questioned for as long...just seems like a lot. They type stuff in every time and I guess I think after 10 years of answering the same question over and over with the same answers they would stop.

Thanks again for the info! Just wanted to make sure I hadn’t missed something somewhere

Advertisement