Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another regs question

Options
  • 04-09-2019 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭

Left hand side of photo shows wiring for light circuit.

Is the routing of this against regs. Do regs state that wires should travel in straight lines down to a light switch. The wiring going down to the floor is I believe for an outside light.

489923.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There is a zone to stay in. Its generally taken as the width of the box /switch/socket on the vertical direction

That conduit is asking for a curtain rail to be drilled into it.

Edit- both side are in a danger zone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hesker

That conduit is asking for a curtain rail to be drilled into it.

Edit- both side are in a danger zone

Yeah. Curtain rail was also in my mind alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gashmuncher

To answer the OP Origional Question "Are the cables in the photo a breach of the rules" the two cables going into the switch from the top are a clear breach of rule 522.6.4 which deals with cables embedded in walls.
    In a nutshell this rule requires that cables in a wall, not going directly vertically or horizontally to an outlet are required to have earthed metal cable protection.
    In this rule the limits are 150mm on the centreline of the outlet and 50mm deep. the wall.
    Also the switch looks higher than the 1200mm limit which applies to all new work.
    Again the work in this photo looks like a nixer job. If you as a layman are spotting these rule breaches, what would a safe electric inspector find???
    Have you checked if the electrician is actually on the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hesker

Have never even met the electrician, nor do I know his name. Everything through builder who assured me before work started and again yesterday that a proper cert for work would be supplied. So I assumed from this that the electrician would be both competent and registered.

This is not a nixer job, from my perspective.

Also would like this thread closed if I’m allowed request it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hesker wrote: »
    Also would like this thread closed if I’m allowed request it.

Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement