Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of surveyor/engineer do I need?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have just put an initial offer on a home, if it's accepted then I believe I will need to bring an engineer in to fully assess the property but I don't know what type of engineer I will need.

It's a rural property on about 0.5 acres surrounded on 3 sides by fields. I'd need them to look at the structure and electrics inside the house but also the property line, power lines coming in, and there is also a 40+ foot shed at the back.

Is this the job of a building surveyor? A quantity surveyor? Are they the same thing?? :P

I'd appreciate any advise you guys might have. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not a quantity surveyor.They are not who you want.
    A building surveyor, preferably an engineer, is what you want.If you have specific questions related to power lines, they may be able to refer you to someone else for the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Great, thanks!

I suppose that leads me to the next obvious question, where is the best place to source a good building surveyor/engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭chicorytip

A registered electrical contractor (Reci) will be required to examine the electrics within the property, carry out any works, if necessary, and issue a safety certificate if the property has been vacant for over two years. The power lines into the property would be the responsibilty of the ESB I presume - if that's what you are referring to in your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

If you're looking for a building surveyor in your locality, go to the SCSI website. www.scsi.ie they have a list of registered building surveyors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Thanks very much everyone for the tips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

The local estate agents or solicitors can recommend a reputable engineer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I have a really good one, he did my house in Dublin. Punchy enough price wise (650 euro) but a great job. Happy to share contact details, pm
    If interested

Advertisement