Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gamestop Switch 1.1 Trade In Offer

• 31-08-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Was in Gamestop earlier and the clerk mentioned an upcoming trade in deal where you can get the new Nintendo Switch model with the improved battery life for €30 if you trade in your existing Switch as long as it's in a sellable condition.
    So you're essentially getting new Joy Cons and a brand new better Switch with a new warranty for €30, not bad at all.
    He mentioned that you will need to put down a deposit of a fiver for them to hold one of the new Switches for you and that the deal is live on Friday lasting all of September while stocks last.
    Regarding the system transfer you have to pay the €330 up front, do the transfer at home, and then go back to the store with your original Switch and they will give you back the €300.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Aokay wrote: »
    Was in Gamestop earlier and the clerk mentioned an upcoming trade in deal where you can get the new Nintendo Switch model with the improved battery life for €30 if you trade in your existing Switch as long as it's in a sellable condition.
    So you're essentially getting new Joy Cons and a brand new better Switch with a new warranty for €30, not bad at all.
    He mentioned that you will need to put down a deposit of a fiver for them to hold one of the new Switches for you and that the deal is live on Friday lasting all of September while stocks last.
    Regarding the system transfer you have to pay the €330 up front, do the transfer at home, and then go back to the store with your original Switch and they will give you back the €300.

If that’s real it is an amazing deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

nedd wrote: »
    If that’s real it is an amazing deal.

It is. I've had it mentioned to me as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Must check that out Monday. My only reservation is that I'm very attached to my Diablo Edition Switch, not too gone on the standard colours but extra battery life sounds good. Presume new one is only initially released in the original joycon colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll be all over that deal if true.

skerry wrote: »
    Must check that out Monday. My only reservation is that I'm very attached to my Diablo Edition Switch, not too gone on the standard colours but extra battery life sounds good. Presume new one is only initially released in the original joycon colours

Yeah, neon and grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Anyone know if the docking station is the same as I have a few and no point in keeping them if the new console wont work with them.

amadablam wrote: »
    Anyone know if the docking station is the same as I have a few and no point in keeping them if the new console wont work with them.

It's the same. The only difference is it has a more efficient version of the Tegra processor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Is there any performance drop with the new chip to get this extra battery life?

I have noticed the battery life is sub 3 hours recently, so if i could get a nice boost for €30 ill go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

It's the same. The only difference is it has a more efficient version of the Tegra processor.

Thanks dude. Appreciate the info :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is there any performance drop with the new chip to get this extra battery life?

I have noticed the battery life is sub 3 hours recently, so if i could get a nice boost for €30 ill go for it.

Performance is very very slightly better going by what digital foundry said. The processor is just more efficient not less powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pcadhain

Battery improvement is fairly massive and I'd happily pay more than just the 30 for upgrades like these:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/cv3da0/extensive_battery_life_comparison_og_switch_vs/

Will be keeping a sharp eye on this offer so. Wonder will they have any bundles with a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

id be all over this myself,but im sure you will have to trade 2 or 3 selected games with this offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Aokay wrote: »

Do we know if this deal is for real?. My switchs battery life is shocking its a day 1 switch I think at best I get about 2 and 1/2 hours of life.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Do we know if this deal is for real?. My switchs battery life is shocking its a day 1 switch I think at best I get about 2 and 1/2 hours of life.

I

Rang up there now myself and was told that theres a plus 50% extra trade in,so if your switch trades in at 200e you get 100e on top of that so the 30e extra would make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd be a bit wary about buying the new one bringing it home doing the transfer from the old one and then bringing the old console to GameStop to get €300 back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd be a bit wary about buying the new one bringing it home doing the transfer from the old one and then bringing the old console to GameStop to get €300 back.

Btw shopto are sold out but base have FE 3Houses for £42.14 delivered. No souvenir coin or online sub though I don't think

Banjo wrote: »

Btw shopto are sold out but base have FE 3Houses for £42.14 delivered. No souvenir coin or online sub though I don't think

Shopto are selling the digital for £39.99 with the sub. They are the only place I've seen with the offer.

https://www.shopto.net/en/ndo10002925-fire-emblem-three-houses-switch-download-p113603/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

johnf26 wrote: »
    Rang up there now myself and was told that theres a plus 50% extra trade in,so if your switch trades in at 200e you get 100e on top of that so the 30e extra would make sense

Is there a certain criteria for the 200 or they giving that for all? Have a two month old switch with box which I’ll upgrade if it’s only 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I'd go for the deal but Pokemon won't let you transfer saves.

• Advertisement

Just pre-ordered my Grey Mk2 Switch in Gamestop there. Put 30 deposit on it to make it handier on Friday, clerk didn't mention €5 deposit to me but makes no difference either way.

Gonna just wipe my console and download games again on new one. Most of my games are on SD card so I'm guessing the transfer option on the console won't work for them anyway. Will lose Splatoon progress but not the end of the world. Great deal to upgrade to new edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I'd go for the deal but Pokemon won't let you transfer saves.

If you do a complete user transfer then Pokemon save should transfer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

skerry wrote: »
    Gonna just wipe my console and download games again on new one.
    This doesn't work does it? Games are tied to the console and account, no? Apologies if I'm wrong but Nintendo doesn't work like every other digital platform like Sony, Microsoft or when Amazon's Kindle.

The transfer option (AFAIK) "transfers" the identity of the old console to the new one so the SD card will work on the new one the same as if it was the old one.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    This doesn't work does it? Games are tied to the console and account, no? Apologies if I'm wrong but Nintendo doesn't work like every other digital platform like Sony, Microsoft or when Amazon's Kindle.

The transfer option (AFAIK) "transfers" the identity of the old console to the new one so the SD card will work on the new one the same as if it was the old one.

I'm not too familiar with the transfer option regarding SD cards myself now. I just figured it only covered games on internal memory and wasn't sure how it handled SD games.

My plan was to reformat the SD card and re-download my games once I've linked my accounts to the new Switch so I'm presuming there's no reason why that wouldn't work.

Also, I'm not too pushed on the idea of paying full price for the console and having to transfer everything and return to Gamestop to get my money back, I'd have my library re-downloaded a few times over before I'd have that whole mess taken care of.

Update: I just found a Nintendo Life video on the topic there and he says that the only option for SD cards is to reformat the card in New Switch and re-download all the games again from the Eshop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Save games are tied to a system transfer but far as I know you can change the "Home" switch for your account so that eShop downloads are deactivated, then set your new switch as the primary for your account so you can download the games again. You can force the account to sign out on a specific device from your My Nintendo control panel if you forget to delete it off the Switch.

The whole system Id/account hardware shackle is more of a 3ds thing.

The above does not constitute advice. Don't listen to Banjo. We encourage you to do your own independent research and not listen to the ramblings of a man who doesn't enjoy Ikaruga :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I'm seriously interested in this deal too if it's for real - thanks for the heads up OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

To be honest I've only used my Switch a total 100 hours or less so no chance of mine ever dying but I'm wondering if there is much different with the new one? Nintendo are idiots and anti consumer not letting use just back up any save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

If you own a launch Switch please be aware that the screens on the new ones may be worse!! Japan Display was the exclusive display provider for Switch at launch. Since then they have branched out to several other manufactures and the screens having varying degrees of quality. My launch Switch had a beautiful display. This new one is much warmer (has more of a pinkish color to it) and does not get as bright. I honestly don't know if the battery upgrade was worth losing that display. Games like Breath of Wild looked so perfect on that original display.

Found this on the reddit switch comparison thread. Is there any truth to this? Otherwise, I'd be all over getting the new upgrade for 30.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,371 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

wong wrote: »
    Found this on the reddit switch comparison thread. Is there any truth to this? Otherwise, I'd be all over getting the new upgrade for 30.

Yeah that was mentioned in the digital foundry review.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the digital foundry review showed that and it was very off-putting to me. It has a redish/ pink tinge. In-game I didn't notice it, but in white menus, it is very noticeable.

Advertisement