Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gamestop Switch 1.1 Trade In Offer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Switched mine just there. Didn't have the controller grip as I have misplaced it due to not being used, they didn't ask for it either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Picked it up there in Parkway Limerick. Was told that they are flying out the door with more trade ins than expected coming in without pre orders.

Now off to keep it real and head back to my parents to bring home a load of turf! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Traded mine in to blanch last night - they spent 15 minutes testing it - was missing the joycon holder but they took it out of the new one.

Great deal in fairness, couldnt pass it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Decided to bite the bullet and took the deal. I had a launch switch so it was 2.5 years old and owed me nothing. Just in the middle of downloading everything again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Liffey st charged me €10 refurb for my old console which was in excellent condition and boxed with screen protector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

sweetie wrote: »
    Liffey st charged me €10 refurb for my old console which was in excellent condition and boxed with screen protector.

Never heard of that in Irish stores before. Is it on the receipt?

P.S. wonder if these posts should be moved into a different thread by a moderator?

pasta-solo wrote: »
    Never heard of that in Irish stores before. Is it on the receipt?

P.S. wonder if these posts should be moved into a different thread by a moderator?

yes, its down as 'refurb charge console clean' - it wasn't dirty, had absolutely everything with it. I've emailed hello@gamestop.ie to complain, it's a load of balls.

yes, its down as 'refurb charge console clean' - it wasn't dirty, had absolutely everything with it. I've emailed hello@gamestop.ie to complain, it's a load of balls.

They do that with stuff that is in poor condition, though from your description that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

Did you go in there with screen protector still on out of interest?

Don't know whether I should keep mine on or take it off when I'm trading in.

wong wrote: »

Yes, left it on. He said it was due to it being sent away to be tested and made ready for sale. No testing done at the shop at all. I'm anal about keeping stuff pristine, have all my vinyl in plastic sleeves etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Does that mean you had to pay €40 extra? - Sorry, not sure what you mean by they charged you.
    I am bringing mine in today if I get the chance. Mine is pristine too, Didn't buy it that long ago so it is almost new anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

traded in my second one today no hassles at all with them

Suckit wrote: »
    Does that mean you had to pay €40 extra? - Sorry, not sure what you mean by they charged you.
    I am bringing mine in today if I get the chance. Mine is pristine too, Didn't buy it that long ago so it is almost new anyway.

Ye, 40. Feck it, still a good deal in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: I split the gamestop and bargain alerts content into separate threads.

Traded my Switch at lunch, no problem at all....
    Best deal I've seen all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Was tempted, but I'm gonna hold on to my launch Switch, as I think that pink tinge would irritate me a little, even if the other colours are just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

That's only ever happened to me once when trading in A console as one of my controllers had a tiny bit of wear at the base of one of the thumbs ticks, that slightly circular thing you see on most controllers.

You might have just gotten one of the staff straight from a specsavers appointment :D

At least it was only 40 all in for the upgrade but its like anything with GS, consistency is rare.

Enjoy new console none the less and you might get your 10 back. :)
    wong wrote: »

I left mine on but the test took less than 2-3 minutes maximum.

You could always remove it in the shop if they said anything. Best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just did the trade there, I play almost exclusively in handheld so the battery life is a godsend for me.

Fair play to the GameStop lads too. I forgot the joycon bumpers because I've never used them, but they were sound with just taking them out from the box of the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Star Lord wrote: »
    Was tempted, but I'm gonna hold on to my launch Switch, as I think that pink tinge would irritate me a little, even if the other colours are just fine
    I haven't been able to notice a difference in the screen tbh

Meesared wrote: »

I've only noticed it on the Zelda loading screen

• Advertisement

Just did the trade there, I play almost exclusively in handheld so the battery life is a godsend for me.

Fair play to the GameStop lads too. I forgot the joycon bumpers because I've never used them, but they were sound with just taking them out from the box of the new one.

I was missing one, and they had one "knocking around" they used to replace it. Have to say between this and the trade in deal a few weeks ago I'm glad they're still around.

Great bunch of lads. Unless you're looking for deals on Day 1 games. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Meesared wrote: »

Id say most others won't either lad :)

A lot of people are over thinking the screen part. Even with lab equipment its a small difference in color temp and brightness.

But how many every day users will have access to lab equipment? Very few I'd imagine.

To even test with the naked eye you would need both a new and old console with the same screen image in the same lighting conditions, etc and even then it's going to be hard for some people to notice as very few of us have identical eye sight or even similar color preferences.

Its all fine people saying they can notice it but the majority are comparing the new image against what they 'remember' the same image looked like in their old console or a screen shot on another website viewed on their screen which ironically is probably set up for a particular color scale. Memory is a funny thing also........ Just think of all the perfect summers we can remember :D

Developers are almost certainly going to be working with the newer hardware going forward and games will be optimised for it. That's just the nature of upgraded tech.

People have personal preferences with color temps too and some prefer warmer colours, other prefer cooler, etc.

Personally, color temp comments, were the least reason for my upgrade.

Extended battery life in a handheld is far more valuable to me than occasional color temp differences might be on certain games.

I doubt in a years time anyone will be saying that they remember a particular screenshot in a particular game being 4500k temp and how they wish they could look at it forever :D

Most of us won't even have the same console in a year or twos time either.

Enjoy the new consoles and see what new firmwares and new games bring in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Hi, what do I need to bring?

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Hi, what do I need to bring?

Everything. Console, dock, charger, HDMI, Joycon grip and the straps.

Everything. Console, dock, charger, HDMI, Joycon grip and the straps.

No box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

No doubt in my mind Nintendo has done this to remove all non patched switches from circulation. Gamestop is most likely being paid to do this so they can cut down on the huge amount of Piracy in the Switch scene. Any Switch before June 2018 can be easily Hacked

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    No box?

The box is not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

gibgodsman wrote: »
    No doubt in my mind Nintendo has done this to remove all non patched switches from circulation. Gamestop is most likely being paid to do this so they can cut down on the huge amount of Piracy in the Switch scene. Any Switch before June 2018 can be easily Hacked

I think they're might be something in that alright but GameStop often have deals like that. I was able to upgrade from my Xbox One to a One S with a dirt cheap trade-in offer and then earlier this year they had a similar deal for the One X which I also took up.

• Advertisement

gibgodsman wrote: »

Nah that's not it, people who pirate will keep the hacked Switch.

Also **** me my Gamestop sucks, too an age as they don't even have wi-fi in the shop so had to set up hubs on the phones.

Advertisement