Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Not Responding' Notifications

Options
  • 04-09-2019 11:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

I've been getting a lot more recently. I'd have presumed it may be becuase my PC is getting old. But apparently not. This guy essentially says that any time the PC is updated, that it creates a problem for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHPZMUeQu-4

I'm just a bit nervous of what he's saying about the "system restore", and whether I'll wipe any files I've saved. At 1:32 he says that won't happen. I just want to be sure of that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

A system restore will restore your computer to the way it was at a certain point in time. If you do not have a restore point backed up then there is nothing you can do about it. I would back up all data and do a system recovery. You will loose all data and settings this way, but as you would have all the data backed up, it would just be a matter of transferring it back onto your machine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

A system restore will restore your computer to the way it was at a certain point in time. If you do not have a restore point backed up then there is nothing you can do about it. I would back up all data and do a system recovery. You will loose all data and settings this way, but as you would have all the data backed up, it would just be a matter of transferring it back onto your machine.
    So it works? In that case I must put all my important stuff onto a USB some day, and do a restore.

So you're saying no matter how old my PC gets, all I need to do is a restore to make it young again?

He said in the video I posted that you wouldn't need to back anything up. Is he wrong?

So it works? In that case I must put all my important stuff onto a USB some day, and do a restore.

So you're saying no matter how old my PC gets, all I need to do is a restore to make it young again?

He said in the video I posted that you wouldn't need to back anything up. Is he wrong?

If a restore point is set up in May 2018, you will loose everything that you have between then and now. You will be able to see if there has been a restore point setup or not.

Always always back up your files.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

You will be able to see if there has been a restore point setup or not.
    Can you tell me how I can see that?

What version of windows are you running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If a restore point is set up in May 2018, you will loose everything that you have between then and now. You will be able to see if there has been a restore point setup or not.

That's not true. A system restore from a restore point will not erase any data but it will reset any software changes made since the restore point was created.
    OP you should backup your data as a matter of course anyway. If you do that you could do a system reinstall which will erase all your data and reset your PC.

mordeith wrote: »
    That's not true.

Actually you are correct. I didn't explain myself very well in that post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 PeteTown

mordeith wrote: »
    A system restore from a restore point will not erase any data but it will reset any software changes made since the restore point was created.
    If you do that you could do a system reinstall which will erase all your data and reset your PC.
    And is that better than a system restore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 PeteTown

Trying the restore at the moment. Seems pretty complicated to follow so far. There is nothing that allows me to select a time that I want to. I tried to create a "restore point", but that doesn't allow me to select a time either.

When I try and do the restore, there's a date and time already selected. But that's too recent a time. I thought there would be a way that I could right click on it and change the time! But it won't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

PeteTown wrote: »
    Trying the restore at the moment. Seems pretty complicated to follow so far. There is nothing that allows me to select a time that I want to. I tried to create a "restore point", but that doesn't allow me to select a time either.

When I try and do the restore, there's a date and time already selected. But that's too recent a time. I thought there would be a way that I could right click on it and change the time! But it won't allow it.
    Can you look at the photograph from your childhood if you have not taken it back then?
    If you didn't enable System Protection there will be no restore points made hence not available.
    If you have it enabled, but allocated to little room, old will be overwritten by more recent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement