Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

middle aged returning biker questions

Options
  • 05-09-2019 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

im 44 and have had a full bike licence since 1996, havent had a bike in the last 10 years, kids wife etc etc so i have 0 ncb.
    ive had a read through a few threads/forums etc and seen insurance seems to be all over the place, ive seen anything classed as sports or with R in the name is pretty much a no go until you have some decent ncb`s built up.

i prefer cruiser style bikes over sports bikes, i have had sports bikes in the past, they just dont do it for me anymore.
    as we have next to no online insurance quotes and when their is you have to have every detail, including what your dear old grannys false teeth were made from, then they ring you up constantly and you dont even own the bike you were wondering what the insurance would be like....
    i live extremely rural in west cork.

bike would be garaged etc etc

what would be a good starting back out bike (in your opinions)
    something i could insure that wouldnt be more expensive than the bike.

what sort of CC do insurance companys start saying nope at?

would i be best to get a smaller CC bike and look a plum for a year until i have a years NCB built up?

whats it like with restoring or doing work on your own bike do you need engineers certs? (asking as i restored a land rover and stupidly told broker so, that i had done the work myself, so had to get a engineers cert.. ive also restored a few bikes)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Forget about cc of an engine. Motorcycles haven't been rated like that since you passed your test!

When I was looking, insuring a BMW F650 was half the price of a Suzuki SV650. If the insurer groups 1-17, then you should be okay up to around group 12. It won't exactly take long to ring round.

Buy what floats your boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

first question, and I'm assuming in the affirmative, you say you 'had' a bike licence since 1996...........the key thing here is: do you still have it ?

I'll go with the easy option and go with 'yes' to the latter..........in which case, you're in luck, because your preferred choice of bike type - cruiser - is actually the cheapest type to get cover on.

And because you're not starting from zero, but are returning to skills (which you never completely lose, but could do with updating), something like a Dragstar 650 is ideal. Or a Honda Shadow. Or others like that. Cheap, simple, reliable.

There's nothing wrong with the small bike approach for a year, but if you factor in the cost of buying it and probably selling it after a year or so and the loss you'll make, it might be cheaper to buy the larger bike now even if the insurance is a bit extra. You won't know 'til you do the maths as they say.......my SO came back to biking after many years, and Liberty gave a good quote for a 650.

Finally, irrespective of all of the above, I'd recommend going and getting even a couple of refresher lessons.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭horse7

Is there a link to the 1_17 insurance group that lists most bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@Edgey75: Just a check, have you actually kept renewwing your bike licence every time you got a new licence issued? Because I thought I was until I was told it had actually lapsed and after five years you have to go back to the start and go through the process again.

Just make sure you still have a valid licence or this might all be moot.

Oh, and then go for anything other than a cruiser :)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

i still have cat A on my license until 2029 :D
    i recently got a new license and its still all there.

thanks for the input so far

• Advertisement

horse7 wrote: »
    Is there a link to the 1_17 insurance group that lists most bikes?

Unfortunately, I was looking for that from Liberty only 2 weeks ago, and they told me they don't disclose that info. Which I don't understand: it would speed up and sort the searching process no end.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Edgey75 wrote: »
    i still have cat A on my license until 2029 :D
    i recently got a new license and its still all there.

thanks for the input so far

My neighbour has just done what you're going btw, and got a new 750 cruiser as a back-to-biking motorbike, and he doesn't even have a full A licence, so you'd have an easier path.

Get the lessons, do the Liberty Assessment (worth up to 20% off insurance), and you're elected :)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Doesn't have my gsx 1400 .
    Must break there scale :D

Indeed, but as the first paragraph says, each insurer has their own list and own ratings, and they don't divulge them.

It's a guide only.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I got good quote for a Honda nt700 Deauville from Principle. On my 3rd year with them now. will be selling a 07 with 18k miles soon.

Are you getting something newer?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I like it so much i got an identical one 2010 . Just back from Aberdeen on 07 , was in Austria switzerland Italy Germany France Czech Republic uk on it last year . Perfect for touring .

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Cruisers are cheapest for insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Maybe look into a upright adventure bike also... The sitting position and commanding view of the road might suit you better returning to biking. There are alot of cheap to insure adventure style bikes also and are very rider friendly.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Maybe look into a upright adventure bike also... The sitting position and commanding view of the road might suit you better returning to biking. There are alot of cheap to insure adventure style bikes also and are very rider friendly.

This is what I'm doing. Have been on scooters (X-Max/Burgman) the last few years. Last proper bike I had was a ZX6R over 10 years ago.

Have decided to go for a CB500X to get me back into it. Looking forward to it, should be great for commuting, which will be 95% of my riding.

Basil3 wrote: »
    This is what I'm doing. Have been on scooters (X-Max/Burgman) the last few years. Last proper bike I had was a ZX6R over 10 years ago.

Have decided to go for a CB500X to get me back into it. Looking forward to it, should be great for commuting, which will be 95% of my riding.

Excellent choice.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Living where you are, an adventure style bike like a Honda transalp or a suzuki vstrom 650 would be the perfect machine. You wouldn't want to take a cruiser across the priest's leap or up mount Gabriel etc, and besides you don't want to be joining the tassled leather waistcoat brigade and be laughed at in every town you pass through.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m in the middle of considering getting back on a bike also.
    38 years old.
    NCB has expired by 10 years!

Pricing with liberty.

KTM 690SM
    KTM 950SM
    KTM 990 superduke

As cheap as 635 for 950 TPFT or 850 fully comp.
    770 for the 990 superduke.

Based on doing their level 1 assessment course.
    Arran rider training in Finglas do the assessment courses and a half day is q50, full day is 250.

Well worth it, as you’ll save more than that on your insurance plus you get the benefit of getting some real tips getting back on a bike after so long.

Living where you are, an adventure style bike like a Honda transalp or a suzuki vstrom 650 would be the perfect machine. You wouldn't want to take a cruiser across the priest's leap or up mount Gabriel etc, and besides you don't want to be joining the tassled leather waistcoat brigade and be laughed at in every town you pass through.

Yawn. :rolleyes:
    Really ?

I may have a H-D, but I, and it, are no slouch on the road. I'm not precious with it, and not afraid to offroad it either.

I don't do tassles either, but whatever floats your boat.

So anyone else reading this: buy what YOU like to ride, not what some muppet thinks you should ride.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Really ?

I may have a H-D, but I, and it, are no slouch on the road. I'm not precious with it, and not afraid to offroad it either.

So anyone else reading this: buy what YOU like to ride, not what some muppet thinks you should ride.

i did tassles in the late 80s/90s cos they were where it was at :D

Edgey75 wrote: »
    i did tassles in the late 80s/90s cos they were where it was at :D

:P:P

[edit]tbh, when I bought mine, it was difficult to find a H-D without them !! [/edit]

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

galwaytt wrote: »
    Really ?

Jaysus Galway.....who pissed in your cornflakes?

;)

I'd say twas a muppet on a hardly, that seems to upset him.

I'd say twas a muppet on a hardly, that seems to upset him.

:rolleyes:

QED.

Ode To The Motorist

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Jaysus Galway.....who pissed in your cornflakes?

;)

:P

Ode To The Motorist

Ah, you need to lighten up.

Specially if you're gonna ride a hardly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    @Edgey75: Just a check, have you actually kept renewwing your bike licence every time you got a new licence issued? Because I thought I was until I was told it had actually lapsed and after five years you have to go back to the start and go through the process again.

Just make sure you still have a valid licence or this might all be moot.

Oh, and then go for anything other than a cruiser :)
    Ten years according to the RSA and others,
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/renewing_a_full_driving_licence.html

.....just pointing it out for any lapsed Licence Holders.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Ten years according to the RSA and others,
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/renewing_a_full_driving_licence.html

.....just pointing it out for any lapsed Licence Holders.

i dropped c1 c1e off my licence on this renewal, they said i have 10 years to add it back if i want it or change my mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement