Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment failed but the transaction was authorized

Options
  • 05-09-2019 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi BOI,

I am recently having an issue of a failed payment from an online shopping transaction. It happened on 28/08/2019, but the transaction showed up as a ”completed” one on my 365 banking transactions on next day (29/08/2019).

However, the shop customers service sent me email saying the order payment actually got failed, the funds never got transferred to their bank account.

So I rang BOI emergency contact, the advisor told me the transaction acutely was authorized and she gave me the authorization code as well. But the shop said it may happen like the payment failed even though the transaction was authorized, usually the funds were actually reserved by the bank, i need to contact bank to get the reserved lifted, here she gave me a link (new register user cannot send URL...will share it later)

Nevertheless, I am wondering if it is the case in BOI, like mentioned in above link “After authorisation, your transaction can still fail. If the transaction fails after authorisation the funds will still be reserved on your account. ” And BOI can remove the reserved?

Hope someone from BOI gives any advice?

Thanks a million!

KR,
    Monica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 monicathx

Still cannot post the link, but it is easy to search it out from Google by “Order failed, funds still taken” , the page is from “Sage Pay”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Monica,

Thanks for getting in touch.

When you sign in to the full website on www.365online.com and select Recent Transactions, You will see two lists. The two lists are Transactions in Progress and Completed Transactions.

If the transaction is in your Completed Transactions then the retailer has definitely received the funds.

If you have correspondence from the retailer refusing the refund/ failure to provide service then you can fill out a transaction dispute form here.

If we can help with anything else please let us know.

Thanks,

Lorna

Hi Lorna,

Thanks very much for the response.

As I cannot post the link that the shop sent me, I will share the content here from "Sage Pay":

Order failed
    After authorisation, your transaction can still fail.  If the transaction fails after authorisation the funds will still be reserved on your account.  Although they have not been debited from your account they will appear to have been taken.
    How long does this last?
    After authorisation has been placed on your account the reserve can last up to 7 working days before it is lifted.  This is not controlled by us, and we cannot remove this from your account.

If you would like to get the reserve lifted you will need to speak directly with your card issuing bank.  They will be able to help with removing the reserve and making the funds available to you.

Have the funds left my account?
    No.  The reserve only highlights the funds to be debited from your account.  They do not actually remove them. Once the reserve is removed from your account the funds will simply re-appear.

So there is no such case that BOI can "remove the reserve and make the funds available again" according to above information? And the only way is to fill up the transaction dispute form? 

Thanks & Regards,
    Monica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Monica,

That's exactly right.

The payment has completed, the only way to get the funds returned is by requesting a refund from the retailer or by filling out the transaction dispute form.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

We have had that exact same problem with sage. On the retailer end it shows the transaction has failed but the customer receives a payment confirmation and when you log onto sage you can find the payment. It's unlikely that's something customer service would have access to so they would have to bump it up the line a bit. It's only happened a couple of times but its straight forward to refund the transaction if it's the same that has happened to you. Once you get through to someone who has access to their safe account it shouldnt take long to resolve.

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    We have had that exact same problem with sage. On the retailer end it shows the transaction has failed but the customer receives a payment confirmation and when you log onto sage you can find the payment. It's unlikely that's something customer service would have access to so they would have to bump it up the line a bit. It's only happened a couple of times but its straight forward to refund the transaction if it's the same that has happened to you. Once you get through to someone who has access to their safe account it shouldnt take long to resolve.
    Hi Jimmii,

Thanks very much for the information. I will contact the retailer again for further confirmation, to see if this is the same situation. 

Cheers,
    Monica

just got some update from the shop:

It turns out that there were actually 2 attempts for the same transaction by Sage, the first failed, but the second succeed 
    -- this is what the service team told me.

So now the transaction went through their system, and they arranged the dispatch for the goods.

All drama's gone! 

Thank you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Good they were able to get it fixed! These ones out of the norm are tricky for customer service just a matter of getting someone with the right access.

Advertisement