Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to Bank Holiday Pay

Options
  • 05-09-2019 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there

I work in a 24/7 type company. My working week is usually Monday-Friday but for 3 weeks I also have a weekend rotation (but working weeks are 5 days - not consecutive days on the weekend rotation).

The rotation is set out that I always work Mondays (even when I’m on a weekend shift), so in order to get a bank holiday Monday off, I’d have to apply for a holiday.

The company policy is that we get X amount of sick days off (paid) and X amount of Vacation Days.
    If we work Bank Holidays, we get paid 2.5 times (no extra day off)
    OR we can get the day off (this doesn’t effect our vacation time).

My situation is that I have used up all my sick days. I was sick on the last bank holiday and my supervisor marked me down for that day as Unpaid leave. I still have vacation days left though.
    When I got back to work I asked our work department could I just use one of my vacation day holidays for that bank holiday instead of marking it as unpaid leave (I think I should still be able to use the vacation day too?) The work team never replied to this email (they had replied to my other emails).
    Our supervisor gave us a ‘talk’ about how us missing days costs the company money (even on unpaid leave), so I’m assuming this related to me.

I was busy at work so didn’t follow up about the email, so just waited til I got my payslip this month and noticed I didn’t get paid for this bank holiday.
    To be honest I’m confused how things work in this type of 24/7 company - am I entitled to pay for this bank holiday? Does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

there are plenty of previous threads and a lot of info online

see here:https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html
    If you qualify for public holiday benefit you are entitled to one of the following:
    •A paid day off on the public holiday
    •An additional day of annual leave
    •An additional day's pay
    •A paid day off within a month of the public holiday

This may be complicated by the fact you were signed off sick on the bank holiday but below suggest you should have got the day paid
    Sick leave on a public holiday

If you are a full-time worker on sick leave during a public holiday, you are entitled to benefit for the public holiday you missed, as described above. If you are a part-time worker on sick leave during a public holiday, you are entitled to benefit for the public holiday, provided you worked for your employer for at least 40 hours in the previous five-week period - see 'Part-time employees' above.

However, if you have been off work for more than 26 consecutive weeks due to illness or accident, or for more than 52 weeks due to an occupational accident and you are absent from work immediately before the public holiday because of this, you are not entitled to the public holiday.

Advertisement