Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about laptop RAM

Options
  • 05-09-2019 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have a HP notebook 15-bs558sa. It already has 4GB of ram and i'd like to increase the performance by adding some more. It's got 2 slots ...see attached pic.

Do i need to match the other slot with another 4GB or could i use 8GB ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

You could use One 8Gb I believe, boosting you to 12, or get 2 8Gb's to give 16GB. Im not an expert in any way. But finding a dimm to match might be an issue is it an old laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

this I was thinking about installing

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    You could use One 8Gb I believe, boosting you to 12, or get 2 8Gb's to give 16GB. Im not an expert in any way. But finding a dimm to match might be an issue is it an old laptop?

2 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Replace the existing RAM with matching SO-DIMMs that you purchase as a pair. It’ll give you better performance that way because if the SO-DIMMs aren’t matching then it won’t operate in dual-channel mode.

I'll just put in another 4GB slot so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check the upgrade info on the likes of Crucials website

Also google the part numbers on the memory you have (as in your picture)

I think you have the wrong memory there.

my3cents wrote: »
    Check the upgrade info on the likes of Crucials website

Also google the part numbers on the memory you have (as in your picture)

I think you have the wrong memory there.

According to HP support i have "4GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM"

I put in my laptop model on the crucial website and the below is compatible

"Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM"
    https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/hp-15-bs558sa/CT12449933

ordered this...fingers crossed

According to HP support i have "4GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM"

I put in my laptop model on the crucial website and the below is compatible

"Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM"
    https://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/hp-15-bs558sa/CT12449933

ordered this...fingers crossed

Those SO-DIMMs are different speed. You won’t get dual-channel performance. You need a matched pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

is this the same when the laptop has soldered in ram ? and 1 slot where you add can add ram also ? I always understood the above as besst practice when 2 slots available ,and also realise about the speed 2133- 2400 etc but just wondering about this recently ,also any way to tell "that you are not getting dual channel preformance" sory op if this derails your thread a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Just stick in 2x8GB 2400mhz ones and be done with it, that is the maximum your laptop can take, make sure you buy matched pairs shouldn't cost more than 60 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

geotrig wrote: »
    is this the same when the laptop has soldered in ram ? and 1 slot where you add can add ram also ? I always understood the above as besst practice when 2 slots available ,and also realise about the speed 2133- 2400 etc but just wondering about this recently ,also any way to tell "that you are not getting dual channel preformance" sory op if this derails your thread a bit !

OP's notebook has two slots available so no soldered ram there. (Haven't seen one in decades tbh)

Whether rams work in dual channel or not can be checked in certain BIOS versions or with softwares like CPU-z.

Ok thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

anacc wrote: »
    Those SO-DIMMs are different speed. You won’t get dual-channel performance. You need a matched pair.

Nope. Itll operate DC at 2133, the faster stick can fall back to the lower spec. You can always go slower.

ED E wrote: »
    Nope. Itll operate DC at 2133, the faster stick can fall back to the lower spec. You can always go slower.

Will it still operate dual-channel though? If they are not matched pairs the CAS Latency will be different.

ED E wrote: »

Was chatting with someone from crucial and they said the same.

Was chatting with someone from crucial and they said the same.

Yeah it’ll fall back to the slowest speed but interleaving won’t work if the CAS Latency is different. So it’ll work but you won’t get the best performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The CAS is not the main problem, the module count is. Ranking matches but modules don't. Thatll prevent DC operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

anacc wrote: »
    Will it still operate dual-channel though? If they are not matched pairs the CAS Latency will be different.

It will operate at the frequence and cas timings which are slowest and loosest.
    It will run dual channel fine.

Advertisement