Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 motorway accident

• 05-09-2019 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

There is a massive traffic on M7 southbound. Appears there is an accident involving a truck.
    Hope people are OK and everyone drive safe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Some of the pictures are mad. Word in the office is no other cars were involved so it feels like a miracle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The AA just Tweeted that the road is open again, or at least that traffic is moving again anyway. Hope the driver's alright!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And closed again to let the Emergency Services do their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Still massive delays around the Ballysmion exit and hitting towards town down the Ballysimon Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mc Love wrote: »
    How in the name of God did it end up like that

Never would have happened if he was cycling...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Some of the pictures are mad. Word in the office is no other cars were involved so it feels like a miracle.

A long delay this morning heading Northbound....... Turned out there was no actual issue or blockage on the road itself.... It was just that people were slowing down for a nice relaxed gawp and to take some photos for Da Gram and Facebook.....

A big thanks to Comhra and everyone in Eire-Deargs Office/Social Media "zone" for their contribution to my morning!!!

Mango Joe wrote: »
    A long delay this morning heading Northbound....... Turned out there was no actual issue or blockage on the road itself.... It was just that people were slowing down for a nice relaxed gawp and to take some photos for Da Gram and Facebook.....

A big thanks to Comhra and everyone in Eire-Deargs Office/Social Media "zone" for their contribution to my morning!!!

*Slacking morning tea group :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Were roads wet.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    How in the name of God did it end up like that

https://www.seattletrucklaw.com/blog/why-do-trucks-jackknife-and-what-should-victims-do/
    Why Do Trucks Jackknife? And What Should Victims Do?

There are few things more terrifying than being in a crash with an 18-wheel semi-truck. The statistics are just as scary: one out of every ten deaths that occur in crashes on U.S. highways involves a large truck, and a total of 3,986 people died in truck wrecks in 2016. Only 17% of those killed were truck occupants; 66% were occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles, and 16% were pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists.

Truck crashes are always dangerous, but one of the deadliest scenarios is called a jackknife wreck. Keep reading to learn about how jackknife crashes happen and how an attorney can help if you or someone you love has suffered injuries in a jackknife crash.
    What Is a Jackknife Accident?

Time almost stands still as you watch the scene play out: A huge 18-wheeler driving in front of you begins to lose control. In just a split second, the truck skids and the trailer swings out to one side. The out-of-control truck now resembles a giant pocket knife folding in on itself.

Before you know it, the semi-truck is blocking all lanes of the highway and you can’t stop your car fast enough. You crash into the tractor-trailer and become the latest victim of a jackknife accident.

Any type of truck accident is potentially catastrophic since commercial trucks on our highways can weigh 80,000 pounds and often pull 28-foot double trailers. But even among truck crashes, jackknife crashes are especially deadly. So why do these wrecks occur?
    Why Jackknife Crashes Happen

Jackknife crashes can result from many different situations. The most common causes include:
    Improper Brake Adjustment and Maintenance

If a truck’s brakes aren’t properly adjusted and maintained, the trailer axles can lock before the tractor axles during heavy braking. In this situation, the semi drags the trailer and its locked brakes, and the trailer swings out to the side as a result.
    High Speeds

A massive commercial truck takes an incredible amount of force to stop, especially if the truck is traveling over 55 miles per hour. The faster the truck is going, the more likely it is that the driver will try to slam the brakes if they need to stop quickly. Slamming on the brakes often leads to the braking imbalance described above, especially in trucks with improperly set brakes.
    Sharp Curves and Evasive Maneuvers

While slight curves shouldn’t pose a problem for most commercial trucks and drivers, evasive maneuvers combined with high speed and a steep angle can cause the trailer end to swing out and the entire truck to lose control.
    Slippery Weather Conditions and Roads

Any loss of traction can cause a truck’s weight to shift and lead both cab and trailer to slide. Given the massive weight and length of commercial trucks, a truck can jackknife from even the smallest of skids.
    Driver Fatigue and Inexperience

One of the most significant and preventable causes of trucking accidents is driver fatigue, which lowers drivers’ reaction times and impairs their judgment. Unfortunately, trucking companies often encourage drivers to speed and exceed their hours-of-service limits despite the safety risks. In addition, trucking companies often hire drivers without training them adequately, which makes it more likely that they’ll panic or fail to respond properly when a dangerous situation comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Passed it just after it happened. For an unknown reason it went off the road on the left, climbed up the bank all the way to the top smashing into the trees and then came back down across the road into central barrier. Didn't see any other damaged vehicles close by.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Link showing view from the other side.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/crash-barrier-saves-driver-after-truck-jack-knifes-on-m7-in-limerick-948462.html

I got stuck in the rubber knecking this morning. Absolute joke. Everyone has seen trucks before, but everyone had to slow down for a gawk on the other side of the road.

Hope the driver was ok and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Harcrid wrote: »
    Passed it just after it happened. For an unknown reason it went off the road on the left, climbed up the bank all the way to the top smashing into the trees and then came back down across the road into central barrier. Didn't see any other damaged vehicles close by.

Luckily so it veered to the left first rather than the right. The trees and bank probably took some momentum before it returned and hit the central barrier which thankfully did its job. Could have been some carnage if it made it's way onto the opposite carriageway at its initial speed.

Hope it wasn't the damned phone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

You are wrong, the road was at a standstill as I was a few cars back and had my engine off for 30 minutes not moving while emergency services attended to the driver and cleared the road .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

You are wrong, the road was at a standstill as I was a few cars back and had my engine off for 30 minutes not moving while emergency services attended to the driver and cleared the road .

You were southbound I would suggest, the poster you are quoting was northbound.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Eastbound traffic was in bits because of the ballysimon exit being swamped with westbound diversions. Similar was happening out at the Mackey Roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

The truck never crossed the central barrier so you're even more wrong than you're accusing me of being wrong.

You're so wrong its a travesty of sheer wrongness.....

- There, now I feel so much better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

The truck never crossed the central barrier so you're even more wrong than you're accusing me of being wrong.

You're so wrong its a travesty of sheer wrongness.....

- There, now I feel so much better :D

Ha ha ha , ye are right , ahh well , :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

MarkR wrote: »
    Link showing view from the other side.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/crash-barrier-saves-driver-after-truck-jack-knifes-on-m7-in-limerick-948462.html

I got stuck in the rubber knecking this morning. Absolute joke. Everyone has seen trucks before, but everyone had to slow down for a gawk on the other side of the road.

Hope the driver was ok and all that.

thing is most people caught in a rubber necking logjam are stuck behind those who slowed down so that forces everyone behind them to also slow down. I'd imagine it only takes less than 2% of drivers to slow down and rubber neck for it to then look like "everyone" is slowing down to have a gawk when that is not the case. I've been caught in some of those annoying jams myself. Apparently the fire at Douglas SC in Cork also caused severe congestion on the adjacent bypass due to rubberneckers last week too.

Advertisement