Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales 07/09/2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Portsalon wrote: »
    Slobbering, uncritical, hero worship always gets right up my nose. :(

Thankfully you'll never reach those heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

@JoseyWales

Kilcoyne has been my player of these games. He wants it.

"Kilcoyne makes some impact, he broke tackles, broke runners by tackling and wrecked the tightheads elbow in about 5 minutes of being on the pitch. His S&C is showing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

At least we have decent cover for Earls. So many positives. Only real loss is Leavy as SOB probably past it.

But every country will be down a top 5 player to injury in rugby.

Murray return to form huge. If Sexton can kick on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Clegg wrote: »
    Excellent, disciplined performance up front. I'm still rather concerned about how hard we have to work to score trys and how we didn't score at all with all that possession in the final 10.

It is the big worry. I cannot remember the last time we put the ball through hands along the backline to finish off a try within the 22 area.

Bish bosh rugby is our gameplan in the opposition 22.

Real worries for the lineout without Toner. Scotland are much more dangerous than Wales come lineout time.

There is a strong argument to drop Sexton. He is offering very little now. His loops are very easily read and he doesn't attack the gainline nor vary it enough with chip kicks or grubbers. Far too likely to pick up another knock too. He might be more useful off the bench.

Schmidt has some big calls to make.

Kilcoyne, Ruddock and Henderson brought a lot from the bench.

I can see us making the semi where I think we could up against Wales again. A tough one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

walshb wrote: »
    Brilliant from Best!
    Please pick me Joe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lil Eddy looks so ouha’ place!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

jprender wrote: »
    Kilcoyne is surely the starting loosehead after his last few performances

Again, based on what?

He’s been excellent in these games, but Healy has been one of Ireland’s top forwards in the last two years.

Bench impact does not mean you can have the same impact from the start in the big games. I’d much rather the likes of Kilcoyne and Ruddock coming off the bench to smash lads if I’m honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It is the big worry. I cannot remember the last time we put the ball through hands along the backline to finish off a try within the 22 area.

Real worries for the lineout without Toner. Scotland are much more dangerous than Wales come lineout time.

There is a strong argument to drop Sexton. He is offering very little now. His loops are very easily read and he doesn't attack the gainline nor vary it enough with chip kicks or grubbers. Far too likely to pick up another knock too. He might be more useful off the bench.

I can see us making the semi where I think we could up against Wales again. A tough one.

Lineout was ok when Wales obeyed the space rule. Needs work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Great second half. Still not convinced about our backplay at all but encouraging performance. Really hope Earls is okay cos he's one of few backs with a bit of spark and proven World Cup performer.

James Ryan is a colossus. What a talent.
    Kearney rolled back the years.
    Stander was good I thought, took a good lineout at the end too in the red zone - Munster use him the odd time for that, teams don't expect him
    Killer is in the form and condition of his life.
    Murray was tidy.
    Sexton only so-so
    Good to see Henshaw back in form
    Furlong was brilliant
    Kleyn gave away silly penalties which people will want to slaughter him with but tackled well and obliterated some rucks.
    Didn't think much of Conan. Pretty ineffective with ball in hand and quiet enough defensively. Was he stuck in rucks maybe? Stander back to 8 and POM to 6 for me and I suspect Joe.
    Centre partnership was encouraging.

Lovely send off for Best, one of our all time greats

We're not arriving at full tilt to the WC but it's a performance to build on. Welsh will be more concerned with their second half

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Excellent, disciplined performance up front. I'm still rather concerned about how hard we have to work to score trys and how we didn't score at all with all that possession in the final 10.

Agree with that. But that type of game style is enough to beat Scotland et al. SA? Probably. I see Australia beating Wales and an Ireland Australia semifinal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Did you miss the first half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

By the slimmest of margins.....

490109.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

World ranking means nothing for the WC...

Several teams (all top 8) in the WC all capable beating each other on any given day..

@Faugheen

Sorry, I don't know how to quote.

If you don't reward form, what's the point?

I'm Leinster, I hate munster, etc...

Kilcoyne has astounded me. He wants to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Also, keeping it tight in the opposition 22 is a very very good strategy, I would rather a 30 minutes build up with control that ends in a try than a 5 second try. The defense gets fatigued, they never get any patterns going because they never have the ball, possession rugby works.

• Advertisement

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    @Faugheen

Sorry, I don't know how to quote.

If you don't reward form, what's the point?

I'm Leinster, I hate munster, etc...

Kilcoyne has astounded me. He wants to play.

But 2 years of world class form trumps 3 games.

Healy hasn’t shown any signs that he’s out of form. Why should he be dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Nice touch by AWJ and Wales hanging around until after best had finished his interview.
    Ireland really dominated that second half and the impact of the bench was impressive.its something we have lacked in World cups previously but Joe has been building this for 4 years and now is the time we will see it most.
    Some big performances today. Best furlong kilcoyne when he came on. Ryan and thought stander was immense at 6. Thought conan was a bit flat. Murray good and if you consider Sexton hasn't played competitive in over three months and still showed some classy touches. Don't envy Joe having to pick 2 out of henshaw aki and ringrose. Think aki has been irelands best back throughout the warms up and deserves his 12 jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

By the slimmest of margins.....

490109.PNG

A win of any kind for NZ vs SA and they take it back regardless of what we do against Scotland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Bridge93 wrote: »
    A win of any kind for NZ vs SA and they take it back regardless of what we do against Scotland

Every silver cloud.

Some trivia....
    People should know that the World Cup has always been won by the team that was ranked 1st in the world going into the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ireland did very well today. They were physical, they had intensity & they were quick on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Much better performance than any in the 6 nation's and in particular the Twickenham debacle a few weeks ago. Fair play to Joe he has turned the team around when many, myself included, thought it would be impossible. If Carberry can get fit then we are in as good a position as we could be.

Every silver cloud.

Some trivia....
    People should know that the World Cup has always been won by the team that was ranked 1st in the world going into the competition.

New Zealand were number 1 going into 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Toner clearly missed in the first half. Improved in the second for sure.

Good scrummaging, very unfair call on Andrew Porter who needs to keep his emotions in check, Wayne Barnes for example would not have tolerated that much complaining as easily.

As always, Sexton great when fit but continues to be psychologically overrated, Carty showed he can think two steps ahead as well, and of course when Carberry is fit he is very capable. It's like when Sexton is missing the entire team jumps to the conclusion that we're screwed and plays accordingly, when we're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

leakyboots wrote: »
    Getting the ball away from rucks. He hesitated then with ball in hand.

Wales where all over ball and disrupting it....

Nothing McGrath or any 9 could do in that situation,....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Faugheen wrote: »
    But 2 years of world class form trumps 3 games.

Healy hasn’t shown any signs that he’s out of form. Why should he be dropped?

I love Healy but Kilcoyne looks in great form, the knock for Healy in England game probably set him back a week...

Win against Scotland is priority, Kilcoyne could start on form based on match but they have 2 weeks of training so it depends who performs best during that

New Zealand were number 1 going into 2007

Correct, my mistake only once has a team Won the WC not ranked top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Gmaximum

Every silver cloud.

Some trivia....

No, South Africa 07 was the exception

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Pretty sure we were losing going going into the second half, which was always problematic before. We ended up winning well.

Typically lose cohesion and dominance after emptying the bench. We went up a notch after the substirutions.

Lineout obviously improved as we went on.

James Ryan evolved Pokemon style mid game.

Disappointed with the static runners in the 22. How difficult can it be for players of this calibre?

Good signs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Hobosan wrote: »
    Pretty sure we were losing going going into the second half, which was always problematic before. We ended up winning well.

Typically lose cohesion and dominance after emptying the bench. We went up a notch after the substirutions.

Lineout obviously improved as we went on.

James Ryan evolved Pokemon style mid game.

Disappointed with the static runners in the 22. How difficult can it be for players of this calibre?

Losing 7-10 going into the 2nd. James Ryan has been a game changer for quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Cupp3r wrote: »
    Losing 7-10 going into the 2nd. James Ryan has been a game changer for quite some time now.

I don't know if it's against the laws in rugby, but I'm certain Ryan stole Alun Wyn Jones life-force at some point in the game.

• Advertisement

@Faugheen

So, we'll agree we're sorted at #1!

Now, onto #2 -- wait, I've got to be somewhere else...

LOL

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Can we talk about the elephant in the room? Our wingers (or lack of)

We must be one of the few teams in the world without class out wide.

Larmor scored a screamer a few years ago but these days, whenever he gets the ball, he dances on the spot till he's tackled and Earls is too fragile now - Also, why was he played on the left wing when he is a right wing.

Ringrose is a center so he's out of position on the wing.

it is because of this, we are not scoring out wide.

Thoughts?

One of our wingers, Jacob Stockdale who you might have heard of, has 14 tries in 16 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Larmor scored a screamer a few years ago but these days, whenever he gets the ball, he dances on the spot till he's tackled and Earls is too fragile now - Also, why was he played on the left wing when he is a right wing.

Thoughts?
    Hard for the wings to do anything when it’s a case of one man out forwards, centers smashing up the middle or Sexton jogging on a loop. Sometimes all 3 in the same possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

One of our wingers, Jacob Stockdale who you might have heard of, has 14 tries in 16 games.

Yeah, just realised that - oops. I meant our right wing :P

Our wingers will not get the ball, unless off a set-piece, with Aki-Henshaw-Kearney at 12/13/15.

I don't care how we win, but I believe Joe is reverting to the 11. Dave Kearney ; 14. Andrew Trimble "type" days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Naggdefy wrote: »
    It's easy surmise what you'd do in a given situation when not involved. He obviously thought Jackson was innocent.

And, in Rory's defence, Jackson was found not guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Wales where all over ball and disrupting it....

Nothing McGrath or any 9 could do in that situation,....

Yeah, this was incredibly annoying. Slowing everything down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Naggdefy wrote: »
    It's easy surmise what you'd do in a given situation when not involved. He obviously thought Jackson was innocent.

Not the forum to go further into this matter, but it was then and remains my view that he acted inappropriately as Irish rugby captain.

And that's all that I'm going to say about it on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Portsalon wrote: »
    Not the forum to go further into this matter, but it was then and remains my view that he acted inappropriately as Irish rugby captain.

And that's all that I'm going to say about it on this thread.

He was obligated to give a statement by a subpoena! He was present at the hearing, to get an opportunity to know what was happening and to understand the weight his statement would have. Talking in court is a very difficult thing to do, regardless of what you are trying to say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

First time I ever heard of someone given a subpoena to give a character witness. Anyway, good game for best, and good send off for a great captain

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thoughts?

I dont think we a missing too much "class" just a lot of players who've been in and out over the years, so no legacy behind them. The last few games have been about getting minutes up and spreading people across a range of positions. Joe doesn't want to be making guesses about where to put them in Japan. And it's not really easy to judge how someone works in an alternative position, when against their buddies in a training field.

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    @Faugheen

So, we'll agree we're sorted at #1!

Now, onto #2 -- wait, I've got to be somewhere else...

LOL

:-)
    I’m happy with that.

I should put on record I’d have no issue with Kilcoyne starting, just I think people forget how good Healy has been for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

He was obligated to give a statement by a subpoena!

I can't believe this is coming up on today of all days, but the above statement is not and never was true

It's probably just me, but i reckon that the ireland v scotland game will be influenced by the result of bNZ v Saffas the previous night.

We might be both trying to lose that one...

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    I’m happy with that.

I should put on record I’d have no issue with Kilcoyne starting, just I think people forget how good Healy has been for so long.

The thing with Healy sometimes can be his temperament. He loves getting under the skin of his opposition, but he used to go a bit far on it a few years back, while playing with Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Correct, my mistake only once has a team Won the WC not ranked top.

Hardly a statistic to give credence to anyhow considering the rankings are younger the tournament, only starting in 2003 with England. So that’s just 3 RWCs out of 4.

Any updates on Earls?
    I didn’t think he looked great today. Heard Andy Farrell say he hit his highest speed in training this week. Hadleigh Parkes outpaced him today for the Sexton pass to Biggar. Albeit Earls had to turn and recover.
    If Earls is/gets injured who would start? Larmour probably and call up Addison?

Hardly a statistic to give credence to anyhow considering the rankings are younger the tournament, only starting in 2003 with England. So that’s just 3 RWCs out of 4.

It’s hardly irrelevant, but not the be all and end all, what It does however show how important form is, how squads who are winning regularly win at the rwc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

https://twitter.com/RTErugby/status/1170351608514760704

For anyone who, like me, missed the game and our post match interviews, here's Rory Best's. Great servant, all the best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement