Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales 07/09/2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is Ringrose a bench player now?

lawred2 wrote: »

Looks that way. I think at his peak he's the best centre we have but he's been off the boil for a while. I wouldn't be putting him at 15 but the fact he's played test rugby at 12/13/wing will go for him. I think the centres who started today will start against Scotland. Henshaw was excellent and Aki seems to be nailed on in Schmidt's teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Doubt it.....he started two warm up and came off the bench in another

Did he come on against wales v1?

Looks that way. I think at his peak he's the best centre we have but he's been off the boil for a while. I wouldn't be putting him at 15 but the fact he's played test rugby at 12/13/wing will go for him. I think the centres who started today will start against Scotland. Henshaw was excellent and Aki seems to be nailed on in Schmidt's teams.

I don’t get this off the boil for a while? Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Probably.

Aki is nailed on at 12. Henshaw strong favourite to start at 13.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Probably.

Nice problem to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Aki looks sharper and fitter than I've ever seen him

Aki looks sharper and fitter than I've ever seen him

Three weeks ago he was a shadow of himself, now we are saying he is fitter than he ever was?

That’s some change

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Three weeks ago he was a shadow of himself, now we are saying he is fitter than he ever was?

That’s some change

Everyone was a shadow of themselves three weeks ago hence the forty point loss. That was the best centre partnership performance today for Ireland in a long time. Aki starts, highly likely Henshaw is outside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Some amount of ****e in this thread.

Great performance today and a great buzz at the ground.

Still not at their best and there are lots of work ons (lineout, halfbacks still not being 100% and getting more of the ball wide) but trending upwards and potentially peaking for the knockouts.

• Advertisement

troyzer wrote: »
    Some amount of ****e in this thread.

Great performance today and a great buzz at the ground.

Still not at their best and there are lots of work ons (lineout, halfbacks still not being 100% and getting more of the ball wide) but trending upwards and potentially peaking for the knockouts.

It’s building process which a few people have been saying for ages....today was the first time Ireland looked anyway match fit....if they looked 100% then they have done it wrong

Some great displays, good impact off the bench...

I did think Joe would play the starting 15 today and keep it for wales but I don’t think that’s the plan....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Think bundee will play 12 against Scotland and one other group game plus quarter. Ringrose will probably start 13 against Scotland with henshaw at 13 for South Africa if that’s who is in the quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

It was pleasing to see Cronin come on and steadily get the job done, no drop off in the line out, good darts and wales not/less closing the gap the way they were in first half. Another player hopefully regaining a bit of confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Probably.

Absolutely no way does Ringrose not start. He is probably now a world class 13.
    It’s a straight choice between Aki and Henshaw for 12. Aki is the man in possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Aki and Kilcoyne the stand-outs for me over 4-game series

*Can Kilcoyne lift? I don't think he can...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

CMcsporty wrote: »

Probably.

It’s a straight choice between Aki and Henshaw for 12. Aki is the man in possession.

I'd disagree. Ringrose is world class but he's been a bit quiet since the Six Nations and there's something to be said for a massive midfield against the Springboks

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Think bundee will play 12 against Scotland and one other group game plus quarter. Ringrose will probably start 13 against Scotland with henshaw at 13 for South Africa if that’s who is in the quarter
    It’s a great situation to have those 3 and Chris Farrell!
    I’d say Joe is desperate to get Henshaw into the 23 and it could be as no.23 v Scotland. Earls could be the one to loose out with Larmour in at 14.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is Cronin in the 31?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Stheno wrote: »
    Is Cronin in the 31?

Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Lil Sally Anne Jnr.

I've mentioned on here before about Andy Porter's diminutive size. It was apparent when he shook President Michael D Higgin's hand. They are almost the same height.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Was game any good? Was working in Aviva and saw nothing. Is it worth a viewing of recording or do i delete?

"I've mentioned on here before about Andy Porter's diminutive size. It was apparent when he shook President Michael D Higgin's hand. They are almost the same height."

Nah, Porter's a big guy.

Definitely taller than Jack McGrath - 5'11?

Was game any good? Was working in Aviva and saw nothing. Is it worth a viewing of recording or do i delete?
    If you like rugby watch it.
    I’m on my 3rd viewing. It’s given me back the World Cup buzz.

Just seen Earls kick the welsh loose head in the face!
    He was been held in a ruck and kicked him in the face trying to get free.
    Innocent

Welsh loose head should get cited for injuring Earls’s knee with his face....via Keith’s boot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This thread is actually just funny at this point. After the England game people were calling for heads. Players were finished. The whole thing was a bust. That it was a first game of the season for most was irrelevant. Strangely those players all improved and that showed today. So what have those who should have learned their lesson been saying here? The same thing about other players starting their first game of the season. Gas altogether. Double down lads, sure what could go wrong. :D

As for the game, I was very happy with that. The attitude, the physicality, the speed on both sides of the ball were all really good. As someone else said a few posts back, we're trending upwards. We looked to put width on the ball a fair bit again. Wanted to play at pace and at times caused Wales a lot of trouble there. And we if I'm not mistaken we haven't shown any strike plays in the warm ups either. Defensively we seemed to be really strong on when to attack rucks and when not. We disrupted really well at times. Our line speed was such that Wales rarely got much in the way of front foot ball. For their part I thought Wales were disappointing. And what was up with J Davies? But we showed everything we would have wanted to today and fingers crossed Earls is okay. If he is we lucked out on the injury front this time around in the warm ups. What's not to like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    "I've mentioned on here before about Andy Porter's diminutive size. It was apparent when he shook President Michael D Higgin's hand. They are almost the same height."

Nah, Porter's a big guy.

Definitely taller than Jack McGrath - 5'11?

Dude press (or click) the reply button when you want to quote someone. Copy and pasting and adding quotation marks can make some of your posts a bit confusing to read.

The real winner today was the lack of injuries

If Cookiemunster only knew how bad my PC skills are :-)

I'm back for the World Cup.

Even when Boards is drunk, you'll find current players here.

• Advertisement

He played 25 mins last week on the wing and half hour on the wing today. I will be very surprised if that’s how Schmidt has chosen to get him ready for the World Cup opener if he was going to play 13.

Aki has played the last three tests at 12, Pat Lam used to say that Aki was a guy (like many with Pacific Islands heritage according to Lam) who needed to play every week to see the best of him. Schmidt seems to be following that approach and he’s nailed on at 12.

AKI is more Irish than me at this stage.

He and Killer are starters on my team to beat Haggis Munchers and Sushi sluts

molloyjh wrote: »
    This thread is actually just funny at this point. After the England game people were calling for heads. Players were finished. The whole thing was a bust. That it was a first game of the season for most was irrelevant. Strangely those players all improved and that showed today. So what have those who should have learned their lesson been saying here? The same thing about other players starting their first game of the season. Gas altogether. Double down lads, sure what could go wrong. :D

As for the game, I was very happy with that. The attitude, the physicality, the speed on both sides of the ball were all really good. As someone else said a few posts back, we're trending upwards. We looked to put width on the ball a fair bit again. Wanted to play at pace and at times caused Wales a lot of trouble there. And we if I'm not mistaken we haven't shown any strike plays in the warm ups either. Defensively we seemed to be really strong on when to attack rucks and when not. We disrupted really well at times. Our line speed was such that Wales rarely got much in the way of front foot ball. For their part I thought Wales were disappointing. And what was up with J Davies? But we showed everything we would have wanted to today and fingers crossed Earls is okay. If he is we lucked out on the injury front this time around in the warm ups. What's not to like.

Just rewatching it here. Were you at the match or watching on tv? On the TV you can see welsh defense was relatively passive and just shepherded Ireland along. The only success’s in phase play was when they got Jonathan Davies in the line e.g. VdF break and Kearney try. Davies looked off the pace but even he could read that stupid bloody loop by Sexton at HT.
    There was good bits to really get excited about
    1. No injuries
    2. Best looked a bit better
    3. Furlong got through a Trojan amount of work.
    4. James Ryan. Just amazing
    5. Henshaw was sharp and fast! Linked up well with Aki. A few offloads.
    6. Kearney also looked sharp
    7. CJ looked reenergised
    8. Killer
    but also Plenty not to like
    1.Sexton looked undercooked. And Brittle. Only played 62mins.
    2.Lineouts weren’t good. Best did ok for 20min or so. Scannell should be starting
    3.Murray- Brave as always. But everything is just slower than it used to be.
    4.Ireland still look a bit clueless beyond kicking on advantage penalty. Have a proper cut!!
    5. Kleyn. He could barely get up off the ground after 40mins. And Physicality...hitting rucks? Minimal impact.
    6. McGrath didn’t up the tempo and also looked undercooked
    7. Conan didn’t have much impact and I think CJ will get his spot back
    8. Wales appeared to be disinterested. Particularly in the second half

Not sure what you are ranting about in the first part of your post. People shouldn’t criticise players? e.g this is Sextons first game back. He looked rusty. But nobody should say..or even discuss this? Or be allowed to get alarmed by it?
    Come on now! It’s great that people get worked up about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Sexton had a weird game...looks incredibly rusty, he was peripheral for much of the game which is not in keeping with his very influential demeanor..

^^ Sexton was atrocious.

I thought Murray was better, but then I thought he was carrying his arm for entire second half.

Neither fit IMO

Just seen Earls kick the welsh loose head in the face!
    He was been held in a ruck and kicked him in the face trying to get free.
    Innocent

Really? What time of the match did this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I've mentioned on here before about Andy Porter's diminutive size. It was apparent when he shook President Michael D Higgin's hand. They are almost the same height.

Michael D is 6 foot?
    Who knew?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Porter_(rugby_union)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Thought we played well.
    Kilcoyne is fantastic off the bench. Massive impact.
    Ruddock was great too! Henderson is just so athletic and as strong as feck.
    Ryan was simply incredible. Standers was very good. Thought that VDF was on another level. I may be in the minority, but I think Conan was very tidy and effective.
    Murray's was good, Sexton a mixed bag, but looks like he's not far off the pace.
    Larmour is a beast! Rucks like a back row. I thought he was superb. He's doing the basics very well. RK was very good. The centers were good, but no inventiveness.
    Ring rose has not been the same since his shoulder surgery.
    Best of luck to Rory. Great player.
    Kleyn still hasn't impressed me at all!
    Tadg was just Tadg. A man mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Of course Sexton looked undercooked. It was his first game. That was to be expected. And if people didnt expect that then they were being incredibly daft. He wasnt a million miles off though so it's all good. People need to temper their opinions with a little bit of context and grounding. Surely that was the lesson from the England game? We are only on our way to peaking, which is exactly where we should be at this stage. You dont judge yesterdays game in isolation. You judge it as part of a building process that's at least 6 weeks long, if not 10 weeks. We're only in week 4. So we should only be about half way there. When looking at it in that context then yesterday was a very positive display.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Of course Sexton looked undercooked. It was his first game. That was to be expected. And if people didnt expect that then they were being incredibly daft. He wasnt a million miles off though so it's all good. People need to temper their opinions with a little bit of context and grounding. Surely that was the lesson from the England game? We are only on our way to peaking, which is exactly where we should be at this stage. You dont judge yesterdays game in isolation. You judge it as part of a building process that's at least 6 weeks long, if not 10 weeks. We're only in week 4. So we should only be about half way there. When looking at it in that context then yesterday was a very positive display.

Sexton could have played a 8/9 out of 10 yesterday and you would still have the same posters saying he is finished and he needs to be replaced

Also if ringrose came on and scored a hat trick you would have the same posters saying Xyz is now the nailed on starter

McGrath comes on and plays ok, of course expect posts about why he was picked. He could have been incredible and you have the same posts

It seems people are not reviewing the games and just look at the game to try and find problem with a player so they can replace with another player...

For all the calls that Larmour was this/that and the other I have yet to see many of these posters compliment him on a great game?

Not a lot saying our back row was balanced and Stander looked great at 6

It was our best performance but still a way to go. But that’s the point of preseason and it looks like Joe and his team know what they are doing....

Would I be happy with that starting 15 against Scotland? Maybe, will it be the starting 15? No....Stockdale will come in...Kleyn is new and I don’t think they have got his prep right as he looked dead on feet after 30 mins...few small tweaks....let’s hope earls is ok and Carberry is bavk

Still at end of day we could lose v Scotland and like after the England game, don’t chase the rest of the games. Just follow the plan and win the rest. NZ or SA then in qtr and see who is left standing

Onwards and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

Rory Best is easily the oldest looking 37 year old i have ever seen in my life. He looks at least 10 years older than that.

• Advertisement

DeiseNew wrote: »
    Rory Best is easily the oldest looking 37 year old i have ever seen in my life. He looks at least 10 years older than that.

The old unshaven look adds a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

What pleased me the most about the game was our defense. Throughout 2019 we have had no line speed, been falling off tackles and showing no real commitment.Yesterday we looked very solid.

Should we continue to improve and have a bit of luck with injuries we are likely to at least be competitive come the 1/4's.

On the evidence of yesterday JS may of gotten his timing right so we peak at the right time.

What pleased me the most about the game was our defense. Throughout 2019 we have had no line speed, been falling off tackles and showing no real commitment.Yesterday we looked very solid.

Should we continue to improve and have a bit of luck with injuries we are likely to at least be competitive come the 1/4's.

On the evidence of yesterday JS may of gotten his timing right so we peak at the right time.

I think Ryan makes a huge difference there. He makes a lot of offensive tackles, it puts the opposition on the back foot. Similar to what England did to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    ^^ Sexton was atrocious.

Thats just a lie - his first game back and he was ok - less of the dramatics

He played 25 mins last week on the wing and half hour on the wing today. I will be very surprised if that’s how Schmidt has chosen to get him ready for the World Cup opener if he was going to play 13.

I think you are confirming things to yourself here. Ringrose may be seen as a super sub, or he might be off form or carrying a knock.

Alternatively Joe might be getting him time on the wings should we need cover there. That could mean he is the 23 or it could mean whoever is the 23 will be a centre with Ringrose capable of drifting out and Henshaw capable of dropping back to 15. I think Carty and Carbery are more likely to go fullback in a game however.

Eitherway, Ruddocks game time suggested he wasn't travelling. Our centre pairing and pecking order is still completely fluid and may stay that way with combinations picked to do a specific job against specific teams.

Two other things about our mid field yesterday. They had a significant platform from a highly aggressive pack. Secondly the ball died in mid field a lot. Without knowing how Ireland plan to bring our wings into the game its hard to predict what's going to be done with our centres. Ringrose is head and shoulders the best distributor and Second pivot.

I wouldn't be surprised with an Aki Henshaw first choice pairing. Just wouldn't be betting anything important in it just yet.

The biggest story yesterday was our defence. Wales got wide of us a few times and were closed down. Took an intercept break to give them field position for a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

thebaz wrote: »
    Thats just a lie - his first game back and he was ok - less of the dramatics

I didn’t see too much wrong with his game. Two missed conversions, a bad kick from hand and shipped a pass to Biggar but still I couldn’t be too critical of his performance. Maybe if we lost I might look at it differently but had we lost there would have likely been others to be critical off too. Biggar’s interception was emailed in advance. Great all round performance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Lads,
    Are there any videos or highlights available?
    Anything that I find is unavailable here (Ireland).
    Thanks

mrpdap wrote: »
    Lads,
    Are there any videos or highlights available?
    Anything that I find is unavailable here (Ireland).
    Thanks

Will the full match suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't think you can have many complaints. Ireland were dominant and another try on the board towards the end would have better reflected the play.

Murray's performance in particular was great to see after a poor enough back 9 of 2018/19 post injury. Henshaw was a big presence in midfield. Kilcoyne has to be the winner of these last 5 weeks, he's been immense.

I'm a lot more hopeful today than this day two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Will the full match suffice?

Wonderful
    Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement