Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leak through 50mm warmboard ceiling

• 05-09-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, woke up to a dripping in the middle of the night and discovered a leak through our relatively new (April) warmboarded first floor ceiling. Source of the leak has been found and fixed so main concern is potential damage to the warmboard.

It was installed over the original plasterboard and fixed directly to the joists. One hole in it where the old light fitting came through that I haven't patched yet and that's where the water was exiting. Fairly substantial waterstain to the left and right of it so wondering if there could be permanent damage to the warmboard/plaster?

Also got around 400mm of loft insulation roll over that which is quite wet too. Should it all just dry out? Attic is fairly well ventilated by the way but the area this happened in is very hard to access as it's in an old vaulted ceiling before you get to it so getting a dehumidifier up there could be quite awkward.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If it were my gaff, I would roll back the insulation to see the extent of the wet, and then cut out the corresponding piece below, both warm board and the original plasterboard..
    Not the answer you want to hear but its the only way to avoid mould etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

If it were my gaff, I would roll back the insulation to see the extent of the wet, and then cut out the corresponding piece below, both warm board and the original plasterboard..
    Not the answer you want to hear but its the only way to avoid mould etc

Thanks Calahonda, was thinking the same and yeah, you're right, considering myself and the missus sat on the landing on the new carpet directly under the leak with a glass of champers to celebrate the end of a three year slog just two months back, I don't think it's one she'll want to hear either.

Builder was out this morning to inspect it, said the warmboard is not damaged. Leak was coming from a really old massive water tank that some genuis decided to use as the overflow for the water tank that's in use now. The ball cock on the new tank got clogged with dirt after excavations in the garden severed the mains last week and after it was cleaned out it sat slightly higher resulting in the old tank slowly filling until it started dripping over the side directly above the landing.

Haven't had a chance to inspect the damage but he's back over Saturday to put a proper overflow going out the wall so will have a look at how wet it is then. At the least I'll remove the 400mm of loft roll from that area in the attic if he hasn't done so already and make the call then on cutting out the wet board.

Cheers

Advertisement