Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice: Become a teacher

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I feel the same way as the OP. It is indeed a very cushy job. You also retire for life on your final salary.

Before anyone asks me why I didn't become a teacher, I couldn't afford the hDip when I graduated now I have the money but I have a family and a house to pay for so can't take the two years out.

Interestingly you have set yourself up with a fantasy of how fabulous it would be if only, while simultaneously giving yourself an excuse why you will never do it.

It seems to be something about human nature to fantasise that paradise is around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

mariaalice wrote: »
    Interestingly you have set yourself up with a fantasy of how fabulous it would be if only, while simultaneously giving yourself an excuse why you will never do it.

It seems to be something about human nature to fantasise that paradise is around the corner.

I didn't give an excuse why I'll never do it, I gave an excuse why I CAN'T do it.

I made that quite clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

I didn't give an excuse why I'll never do it, I gave an excuse why I CAN'T do it.

I made that quite clear.

It's a steady ,clean job,and if one is really interested in teaching the job satisfaction must be unreal,my 17 yr old son is gearing towards secondary school work, unlike his dad at 61 ( crocked from construction) he will be relatively young and fit when he retires , I'm still scraping work and will have to carry on as long as the body holds out but not many painters last beyond 65

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 christy G

How many holidays do teachers actually get ? I know its alot more then most jobs , but If i use up my holidays i just take unpaid leave and go on a hoilday for a week or two i dont mind not been paid if I need a hoilday il just go on one, lucky in a way that taking an unpaid week off here and there doesnt affect my salary as I have a side business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I feel the same way as the OP. It is indeed a very cushy job. You also retire for life on your final salary.

After 40 years' service, you retire on half your final salary.

For anyone who joined after 2013, it's a lot less generous.

A major part of the resentment people have against teachers is ignorance.

Edit : I see that guy was just a troll. Carry on.

I made that quite clear.

When my friend was 20/21, Her father did his leaving cert, he had 5 kids, my friend was the eldest. He then went to 3rd level & on to become a teacher.
    He was a driver with Dublin bus before that.
    It was very tough for him & the family but he did it, because he wanted to do it.
    He didn't make excuses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You also retire for life on your final salary.

This statement is false.

A typical teacher retiring now retires on 50% of final salary, if they have 40 years paid into pension.

I feel the same way as the OP. It is indeed a very cushy job.

I invite you to sit on front of teenagers every day for weeks on end, with all their issues/hormones, and then have to face their parents.

Come back to us then, and tell us is it "cushy".

It's a steady ,clean job,and if one is really interested in teaching the job satisfaction must be unreal,

It's strange then that Boards and AAM are full of teachers signing up to AVCs to retire early????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Geuze wrote: »
    This statement is false.

A typical teacher retiring now retires on 50% of final salary, if they have 40 years paid into pension.

My mam decided to take early retirement from teaching when she realised there was not a substantial difference (around 20%) between her salary and what she’d get in her pension.

She also got a hefty lump sum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Timistry

Work 11 months a year if your lucky. I had holidays taken off me last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya teachers suck.

I invite you to sit on front of teenagers every day for weeks on end, with all their issues/hormones, and then have to face their parents.

Come back to us then, and tell us is it "cushy".

Correct,I've 2 buddies retired teachers in Derry both had breakdowns of one sort or another by their mid 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HowardBeale

It really is the best profession.

If I knew back when I was 18 what I know now I'd have done it.

I've spoken to many teachers through friends, dating, colleagues at work who have parents etc. as teachers and it is really a top notch job.

Firstly, nearly all of them in my experience say they love their job. Highly different to what I hear every other profession say.

Secondly, their work is easy. Their knowledge only needs to reach the level of an intelligent 18 year old at best. All this talk of doing lesson plans and homework in the evenings is overstated. They do them once and that's it, maybe a slight review a day before they go back to school.

Homework in evenings? I know they do sometimes maybe 1 or 2 hours in the evening. This is their choice however as primary teachers leave at around 3/half 3. If they stayed their 8.5 hours like the rest of us they wouldn't need to bring it home. Even then, it's only time they are spending. Correcting homework is easy. Go into an office and perform analysis on a material or solution and you'll find you're being paid for time + knowledge/skills.

Secondary teachers have it softer again. No classes during parts of the day at all. Last one I was dating was often finished at 11 on a Friday and was not in until lunchtime on a Thursday. "Meetings" nearly always cancelled.

Lastly I browse facebook and that "voice for teachers" page is public so whenever a friend comments on it the page comes up.

Below is a post from yesterday. One person "exhausted" already after a week back at school.

Most teachers wouldn't survive in the private sector.

Didn't even need to mention the holidays.

So if there's any youngster out there deciding what they want to do, do teaching.

It's one of these jobs that is very respected in Ireland that doesn't require much brains.

I met maybe 2 (objectively) intelligent teachers in my whole life.

It's one of these jobs that is very respected in Ireland that doesn't require much brains.

So organized classes, setting out schedules,giving confidence to our young,dealing with multi ethnic students etc etc doesent require brains? I give up

• Advertisement

Have you tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

KiKi III wrote: »
    My mam decided to take early retirement from teaching when she realised there was not a substantial difference (around 20%) between her salary and what she’d get in her pension.

That may well be true. Under our progressive tax system, the less you earn, the more of it you get into your hand, especially since going from a teacher's salary to a teacher's pension probably pushes you from higher rate taxation into standard rate.

But that applies to everyone, not just public sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Every second Irish person I meet over here in the UK is a teacher who can't get a start/enough hours anywhere close to home. Different job over here by all accounts, cushy it ain't. A good few would then eventually head over to the Arabs to try accumulate some money, not something I'd be keen on either.

It may become an easy number once you get in and build some experience but it's definitely not something I'd be pushing my kids towards based on what I've seen since the bubble popped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

My missus is a teacher here in the UK and tbh it is far more demanding than I have ever expected. The amount of administration, relationship building, corrections and extra curriculars are intense. She does about 55 hours a week on average, perhaps more. The comprehensive system, and the OFSTED nonsense that the senior leadership teams get caught up in is killing the schools. The amount of time that goes into metrics and analysis is far too much.

Despite being a head of department and earning quite the crust, she will probably quit as soon as we have some babies, and she will start her own company.

To those saying 'they wouldnt last in private sector', unless you are some captain of industry you are nothing but a wage slave yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

theteal wrote: »
    Every second Irish person I meet over here in the UK is a teacher who can't get a start/enough hours anywhere close to home. Different job over here by all accounts, cushy it ain't. A good few would then eventually head over to the Arabs to try accumulate some money, not something I'd be keen on either.

It may become an easy number once you get in and build some experience but it's definitely not something I'd be pushing my kids towards based on what I've seen since the bubble popped.

My kids wont be going near teaching, I would rather they joined the army - less confrontational

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mcgregor2019

There are definitely pros and cos of being a teacher.

The stress, at times, is like no other, dealing with students every day is draining and sometimes, not all the time, work will follow you through way after your final class, correcting homework, exams, etc.…. with no extra pay.

Other times, planning, meetings and extra activities interfere with daily life, weekends tend to get cramped with lesson plans and other teacher related things, so sometimes, it feels like constant work, especially nearing the exam times when teachers and students are under a great deal of extra pressure. You are more or less working well beyond your final class of the day, and some days it’s just an overload of things.

Most of the time it’s ok. I’ve been teaching since 2014 and overall, once the classes run smoothly and once the bad students are put in their place, things tend to be ok. There are always the naughty students, always the ones that don’t care and are more or less just trying to make up the numbers, those that try to interfere in classes by being disruptive, overall, these are the thing that every teacher has to deal with.

I’ve been living in the Middle East for the past while and I honestly say it was a good decision. Life is definitely different than Ireland, no beer, very conservative country, besides that, it’s difficult to complain, of course I have my bad days, but with the lack of opportunities in Ireland and the lack of a proper structure, it’s not worth staying in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My kids wont be going near teaching, I would rather they joined the army - less confrontational

Wise words...

There are definitely pros and cos of being a teacher.

The stress, at times, is like no other, dealing with students every day is draining and sometimes, not all the time, work will follow you through way after your final class, correcting homework, exams, etc.…. with no extra pay.

Other times, planning, meetings and extra activities interfere with daily life, weekends tend to get cramped with lesson plans and other teacher related things, so sometimes, it feels like constant work, especially nearing the exam times when teachers and students are under a great deal of extra pressure. You are more or less working well beyond your final class of the day, and some days it’s just an overload of things.

Most of the time it’s ok. I’ve been teaching since 2014 and overall, once the classes run smoothly and once the bad students are put in their place, things tend to be ok. There are always the naughty students, always the ones that don’t care and are more or less just trying to make up the numbers, those that try to interfere in classes by being disruptive, overall, these are the thing that every teacher has to deal with.

I’ve been living in the Middle East for the past while and I honestly say it was a good decision. Life is definitely different than Ireland, no beer, very conservative country, besides that, it’s difficult to complain, of course I have my bad days, but with the lack of opportunities in Ireland and the lack of a proper structure, it’s not worth staying in Ireland.

Continued good fortune boy

Continued good fortune boy

Can we just get back to the teacher bashing please!

So anyway, ahhhh bad teachers, gold plated pensions, only work 5 minutes a day, my neighbor teacher gives grind and drives a Lamborghini.

Treppen wrote: »
    Can we just get back to the teacher bashing please!

So anyway, ahhhh bad teachers, gold plated pensions, only work 5 minutes a day, my neighbor teacher gives grind and drives a Lamborghini.

Maybe we should all take a step back,I mean honestly where the Fu*k would we be without teachers?

This statement is false.

This statement is false.

A typical teacher retiring now retires on 50% of final salary + 150% of a salary lump-sum if they have 40 years paid into pension.

Not an insignificant amount, rarely mentioned by public sector workers though.

Correct,I've 2 buddies retired teachers in Derry both had breakdowns of one sort or another by their mid 40s

And only teachers have breakdowns? I'm sure people in other professions have breakdowns as well you know.

salonfire wrote: »
    This statement is false.

A typical teacher retiring now retires on 50% of final salary + 150% of a salary lump-sum if they have 40 years paid into pension.

Not an insignificant amount, rarely mentioned by public sector workers though.

and what if you become a teacher now SalonFire? After all that is what the thread is about. Talking about teachers retiring on old pension schemes is like sending a telegram to H&W to warn them about icebergs.

Advertisement