Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If VAR had been around...

• 05-09-2019 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What (big) football events would have played out very differently if VAR had been around, say, up to 25 years a go?

For example (I think) Ireland would not have qualified for the 2002 WC because VAR would have picked up the hilarious foul by Shay Given in the penalty box on Van Nistlerooy in our home game against Holland. :D

Comments

Henry handball?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Theirry Henrys handball goal as one.

Goal line technology would have provided a definitive answer on Luis Garcias ghost goal - but VAR would have awarded a penalty regardless of the outcome I suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

wim kieft's goal against Ireland in euro 88 would have been disallowed for offside

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

South Korea v Spain 2002. About a billion suspicious decisions

The 5th goal in the 1966 World Cup final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

3rd England "goal" in 1966 world cup final ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1966 = > 25 years a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Maradona's Hand of God goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Maradonna handball.

Lampard goal against Germany in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Could be wrong but think Scholes scored perfectly good goal given as offside v Porto (Mourinho) at OT on the way to Porto winning the CL which basically fast tracked him into the big time.

Found it!

• Advertisement

Chelsea V Barcelona in 2009 - match referred by Thomas Henning Overbo.

Absolutely shambles of a match and I don't think anyone who watched it as a neutral would argue that it was the worst display from a referee in recent history.

Also, the English ref (name escapes me) who gave the same player 3 yellow cards at the world cup - VAR would have helped him there.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but think Scholes scored perfectly good goal given as offside v Porto (Mourinho) at OT on the way to Porto winning the CL which basically fast tracked him into the big time.

Found it!

Had forgotten about that - how world football might have been so different.

Was never even offside at any point in the move :eek:

Turtyturd wrote: »

Lampard goal against Germany in 2010.

To be fair that goal/non goal basically forced FIFA to introduce goal line technology.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Could be wrong but think Scholes scored perfectly good goal given as offside v Porto (Mourinho) at OT on the way to Porto winning the CL.

He did. Now that would have been some sliding doors moment. The goal is allowed, Mourinho doesn't get his famous running down the touchline moment, doesn't win the European Cup, doesn't take over at Chelsea.............

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

FatherTed wrote: »
    Paul Scholes disallowed goal against Porto in the 2004 CL, he was ruled offside when he was easily onside. Man Utd probably would have won the game, no Mourinho CL win that year, would he have ever made it to Chelsea if VAR was there?

You should really read the last 5-6 posts before posting :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Germany might've won 2-1 in extra time in 1996, no Southgate story. England might've beaten Argentina in 1998 with Sol Campbell's header. Both ruled out for "fouls".

Any number of penalty shootouts for keepers off their line.

Luis Garcia in 2005...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You’d expect the Mendes/Carroll own goal incident to be given as a goal.

A couple for Liverpool with big implications were Sterling’s ‘offside’ goal against Man City in 13/14.

Mane’s ‘offside’ against Arsenal last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

You should really read the last 5-6 posts before posting :D

Yes I was typing it while the first one went up hence I've deleted it since!

• Great idea for a thread OP

I remember Utd got away with it against Spurs in 2005

Carroll fumbling and dragging the ball back over the line and the goal didn't stand :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Henry handball?

Ball to hand :eek:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The 5th goal in the 1966 World Cup final

Have you got proof it wasn't over the line?

:pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Great idea for a thread OP

I remember Utd got away with it against Spurs in 2005

Carroll fumbling and dragging the ball back over the line and the goal didn't stand :P
    I was there. Didn't look to me as if it went over the line. Not prepared to say which line though....

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Maradona's Hand of God goal

But just think of the entertainment that replays of that goal have provided Irish people over the last 33 years. The best case ever for not having VAR. :D

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you got proof it wasn't over the line?

:pac:

TBH, wasn't sure was the issue ever settled. I had to Google to see was there ever any tests done and Wiki says some crowd showed that something like 3% of the ball did not cross the line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Barry Clancy getting a second yellow for "diving" v Sligo Rovers in the 2011. Shels get a penalty which if converted would of had them 2 up.

In the penalty shootout that followed surely var would have picked up on the Sligo keeper basically charging the penalties down. Think he done the same v Rovers the previous year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Van Nistlerooy charged into Given that time, unless the person making the decision thinks Given should have ducked out of the way, I'm not sure that would have been given as a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Barcelona had a goal wrongly disallowed at the end of their home CL semi v Inter in 2010.

If allowed would've put them into the CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

John Alderidge scored away to Spain in 1994 world cup qualifiers and it was dissalowed incorrectly. Might not of made a huge difference but finishing top of the group might of had us in a Group (Spains Group) with Germany, South Korea and Bolivia. We would of prob gotten Switzerland (not Holland) in last 16 who we most likely would of beaten and Italy in the Quarter finals.

For those too young to remember that world cup qualification group, it was just madness on the last round of games. Back then it was 2 points for a win, Ireland were playing away to a Northern Ireland team with nothing to play for, but an unhealthy desire to screw things up for us. Denmark, who were European Champions at the time, had Spain away and needed to win to qualify. Goal difference, I think , would decide who would finish where in event of the same points.

So in last round of games Group Was like:

Denmark Pts 18 - GD 14
    Spain Pts 17 - GD +22
    Ireland Pts 17 - GD 13

Ireland needed only beat Northern Ireland and it wouldn't matter what happened in the other game. But no, on front of a very hostile crowd , with a manager stoking the hatred openly , the North went a goal up with a cracking shot from Jimmy Quinn. I remember feeling sick and going inside to play Sensible soccer as I didnt think we had a chance. After 2 minutes of the computer loading up i said "no, there is still a chance" and went back to cheer on our lads.

If things stayed at 1-0, we were out no matter what happened. Up steps Alan McLoughlin to thump in a great volley to equalize. Jack Charlton later said that this strike "justifies his (McLoughlins) existance".

But the drama didnt end after the Ireland game, RTE tv switched straight over to the Spain game with the sight of Peter Schmeichal running up to the spanish box for a Danish Corner. If Denmark were to equalize, we would be out. God the drama for those few seconds watching the Spain game. And then elation, running onto the streets to celebrate with everybody else . .

It finished up:
    Spain Pts 19 - GD +22
    Ireland Pts 18 - GD 13 (more goals scored)
    Denmark Pts 18 - GD 13

Switch over to BBC to watch England concede a goal to San Marino after 10 seconds . . . :pac:

Incidentally, England were absolutely robbed by Holland in those same qualifiers. In the Holland game , Koeman pulled down Platt (I think) when he was clearly through on goal. That would be a clear red (not sure you would need VAR to spot it). To add insult to injury, Koeman steps up later in the game to score a free kick to put Holland ahead . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Drumpot wrote: »

Switch over to BBC to watch England concede a goal to San Marino after 10 seconds . . . :pac:

Incidentally, England were absolutely robbed by Holland in those same qualifiers. In the Holland game , Koeman pulled down Platt (I think) when he was clearly through on goal. That would be a clear red (not sure you would need VAR to spot it). To add insult to injury, Koeman steps up later in the game to score a free kick to put Holland ahead . .

Great documentary here about that campaign which inspired the film Mike Bassett: England Manager

https://youtu.be/QLBA8ivsrt8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A Peter Beardsley goal for Liverpool in 1988 FA Cup Final ruled out for offside would have been allowed and Wimbledon would not have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

McGoldricks goal against Switzerland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

murpho999 wrote: »
    A Peter Beardsley goal for Liverpool in 1988 FA Cup Final ruled out for offside would have been allowed and Wimbledon would not have won.

Wasnt it called back as ref had already blown to give a free to Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This video is called "schumacher collision with battision"

it should be called WWE GERMAN SUPERSTAR SCHUMACHER TAKES OUT FRENCH CONTENDER BATTISION WITH A FLYING EVERYTHING.

Notes:
    1. There was no free.
    2. Battison lost conciousness
    3. few teeth
    4. Few broken ribs
    5. Alleged coma

In certain countries VAR would have gave him the fcuking death penalty.

Also Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Far bigger for Ireland than Henri was Wise’s handball v Turkey in ‘91.

Without it Ireland would’ve qualified for a piss poor Euro92, and who knows what could’ve happened there.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Speak Now wrote: »
    Wasnt it called back as ref had already blown to give a free to Liverpool?

Yes, I think my memory is failing me and you're right.

The goal should have stood and the game would have been very different.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Without it Ireland would’ve qualified for a piss poor Euro92, and who knows what could’ve happened there.... :(

Denmark would still have won.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Zebra3 wrote: »

Going further back, Belgium in 1981 is always put forward as a chance robbed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

South Korea v Spain 2002. About a billion suspicious decisions

South Korea v Italy 2002. Same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

South Korea v Italy 2002. Same.

Worse I think. But one would assume that the whole refereeing team that day were bribed not just the ref so the VAR ref would have also turned a blind eye.

It's always worth watching the highlights of that on youtube - the penalty south korea got, the ones Italy didn't, the Totti sending off, the assault on Zambrotta, the disallowed golden goal, all the crazy crazy challenges made by Korea...it was unbelievable.

Byron Moreno, the referee, was suspended later that year for irregularities in his refereeing and was later sent to jail after smuggling heroin in his underwear which was found at JFK airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Luis Garcia Ghost Goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cameroon's Italy 90 would have ended after the first game with half the team sent off against Argentina for a game full of nasty tackles and that would have changed the course of the whole tournament.

This being the most famous tackle which actually got a red card in the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Peter Enckelman owan goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

dreamers75 wrote: »

This video is called "schumacher collision with battision"

it should be called WWE GERMAN SUPERSTAR SCHUMACHER TAKES OUT FRENCH CONTENDER BATTISION WITH A FLYING EVERYTHING.

Notes:
    1. There was no free.
    2. Battison lost conciousness
    3. few teeth
    4. Few broken ribs
    5. Alleged coma

In certain countries VAR would have gave him the fcuking death penalty.

Also Henry.

One of those lads went on to be the other lads best man at his wedding, just thought I'd put some useless in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Peter Enckelman owan goal?

why would this be disallowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lampard ghost goal would have counted against zee Germans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

gwalk wrote: »

We would have confirmation if he touched it or not ?

[QUOTE=Lucas Hood;111184260]Peter Enckelman owan goal?[/QUOTE]

Not sure even VAR would have resolved that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

gwalk wrote: »

Didn't touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Some of these examples are solved more by goal line technology rather than VAR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement