Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike stolen Kilcock Train station

• 05-09-2019 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

My bike was stolen from Kilcock train station (locked to railings near CCTV) last Friday.

Anyone have experience of this happening in Kilcock?

I've reported it to the Guards, registered already on that bikeregister website and checking usual websites, not much else I can do I guess so just a warning to others here on that line.

Any other suggestions for what to do appreciated although I realise its unlike I'll get it back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ekevosu wrote: »
    My bike was stolen from Kilcock train station (locked to railings near CCTV) last Friday.

Anyone have experience of this happening in Kilcock?

I've reported it to the Guards, registered already on that bikeregister website and checking usual websites, not much else I can do I guess so just a warning to others here on that line.

Any other suggestions for what to do appreciated although I realise its unlike I'll get it back.

Have you asked the people in charge of the CCTV for the footage?

This will be so low on the priority list for the Gardai that the CCTV might well be deleted before they get around to it.

You should try and source the CCTV yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Is there even CCTV in that station ? its a bloody dump. Try heading over to O'Keefes pub and see if anyone there saw anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Maybe post on the stolen bikes thread too on the cycling forum.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056226324

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭KevRossi

What kind of bike was it? Colour, size etc? Any photos of it? Frame number?

Thief may not be too far away, so worth sticking it up on the likes of FB etc in all the local community forums, someone may see something.

If you don't have a photo of your bike then google images may have the same on up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

There is CCTV there looking at the direction it was locked (in between railings) and I contacted Irish Rail support line telling them I was worried they might delete the footage. They said footage was held onto for 30 days but due to GDPR they could only hand it over to the guards who I also informed on the day. Kilcock station is only open a few hours a week so had to get to Leixslip.

I realise bike thefts are way down the list of their priorities but I'll be contacting them again about cctv. The lock I had was a good one (I thought) with a security rating of 8 so I contacted that company who have a theft programme but as lock is totally gone they will also need cctv although I'm not holding out much hope on them paying out on their scheme.

It was a bike to work scheme bike - boardman mtx 8.8 (dark grey) and frame no is registered and with the guards. Local community forums and O'Keeffes might be a good idea, cheers. I also didn't know about the stolen bikes forum.

Its life so we live and learn, not getting stressed or angry about it, just annoying as I thought it was safe enough there and I used for my commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

I would be annoyed!

I had a look at the railings and it looks like it’s possible to unscrew them, which my mind never even thought of. I’ll have to learn to think like a criminal to have a bike in this country. Just an FYI for anyone else locking their bike there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I had a look at the railings and it looks like it’s possible to unscrew them, which my mind never even thought of. I’ll have to learn to think like a criminal to have a bike in this country. Just an FYI for anyone else locking their bike there.

Two locks on a bike especially a new one. Frankly I wouldn't leave any new bike anywhere for more than twenty minutes.

If it's being left the day. Then get some second hand burner bike which isn't sought after and use two locks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Minimum of 2 locks if a decent bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I remember a friend of mine had his bike robbed from Newbridge train station years ago, long before GDPR. His father, who was a Garda in Newbridge at the time, got the video footage, gave it to him and said "There you go! That's a little memento of your bike since you won't see it again...". If a Garda sees no hope in getting his own son's bike back, they definitely won't put any more effort into getting yours.

The Facebook thing might be the best idea. Sometimes (maybe not too often), bikes are taken as a temporary bit of transport and might be abandoned when they get where they're going, so just keep an eye out in the area, if you can...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Keep an eye out on gumtree, adverts, done deal etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

ring the Gardai daily about the footage. show up at the desk in Leixlip if neccessary.
    they won't bother their hole about getting it within 30 days if left to their own devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

megapixel wrote: »

I was away the last week so just saw this....I'll join group and have a look thanks

Advertisement