Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mechanic

Options
  • 05-09-2019 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

hi all, im looking for advice on a good mechanic in town, or on the outskirts of town, that does not charge crazy prices. I need to get my timing belt and water pump replaced.

I priced fast track tyres, who now do servicing, and they gave me a price of 300 euro. Which seems too good to be true. Any one use them for major car work?

Then I priced the old John Dermody place on the hacketstown road, run by another person now, and he was looking for 550 euro for the job, which seems a bit too much imo.

Suggestions very much appreciated please. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you tried John McCartney near the fire station?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

For many cars 500/600 is not unusual for belt and pump.
    It depends on the make and year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Have you tried John McCartney near the fire station?
    I haven't. I will now. Thanks

biko wrote: »
    For many cars 500/600 is not unusual for belt and pump.
    It depends on the make and year.
    Really. It's an old car (07) but reliable. Seems a bit much but thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are you going to tell what car it is? :D
    It will help us determine what a usual price for that brand is..

• Advertisement

It's an Opel zafira. Yes I know I know, but it has never gave me any issues and has all the safety recalls done lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

hadepsx wrote:
    It's an Opel zafira. Yes I know I know, but it has never gave me any issues and has all the safety recalls done lol.

Try mb recovery on brownshill road.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I got a Timing Belt and a few other jobs on a Quashqui and it cost over €700. That was with the nissan dealer before they closed down . Some of the BMW,s you have to take the engine out to do the Timing Chain .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Try Gleeson’s in Ballon - it’s in the unit that used to be Nolan tyres in the garage as you come in from carlow. Use them for all our servicing and have no issues with them. Owned by Tony Gleeson who’s a good rep for his car sales and the chief mechanic is an ex main dealer mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1997

Hi,sorry to jump on here,anyone recommend a mechanic to fix or replace the turbo on a mondeo please? Thks

• Advertisement
Advertisement