Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This noise is driving me crazy!

Options
  • 05-09-2019 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭

Hi,

It's been happening for a while, but it's become so annoying that I can't stand it anymore. My computer is making a noise. It used to happen rarely and for brief periods of time, but it has become more and more persistent lately.

I've opened the case and identified the noise as coming from the rear exhaust fan. When it does happen, I blocked the fan with my finger, and the noise ceased. However, there's no indication of an external impediment, something that the fan would hit. So, I'm not sure what it is. Is it coming from inside the fan?

The case is Fractal Design Define R5, exactly 2 years old, and the fan came with it. Time to replace this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If its coming from the fan and your happy with the case just replace the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

JoyPad wrote: »
    Is it coming from inside the fan?

Could be that a bearing is broken. Replace the fan or just ditch it, you probably would still have enough fans to move air about. Monitor the inside temp without this fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Worn bearings, just replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I was lucky to locate the spare fans left over since installing AIOs in both PCs. Same brand and size, perfect match.
    Now able to once again enjoy the silence.

Thanks all!

Advertisement