Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Switzerland, Euro 2020 qualifier, RTE2 & Sky Sports Main Event, 7:45pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

nullzero wrote: »
    I think that's as big an indictment of the state of international football as anything I've ever heard.

It's not pretty, but they're effective... getting to the last 16 in consecutive tournaments shows that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

is there a place for troy parrot in this squad or dare i say on the bench? or is it just too early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

Don't see Ireland beating either of the seeds above. Best chance of getting out of the group is what Denmark and Switzerland do to each other, getting a point in Switzerland (bit of a tall order) and winning in Georgia (tough).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great attitude and great heart from Ireland. McClean is a great character. People take that for granted too often, we could end up qualifying and it will be largely down to the attitude and resilience of the players.

Switzerland are a decent side and we sickened them and they know that we’re capable of going to Switzerland and beating them. We will be in their heads. Schar the big fool got himself and Duffy carded for nothing at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭pgj2015

i was surprised robinson was so ineffective.

would have loved if whealans shot went in, he deserves it after the shift he put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The difference between Ireland and Switerland summed up in the Swiss goal.

We just can't do that.

Yes we can. It was a couple of one twos against largely stationary defenders. You'd swear it was Messi level of technicalities.

We don't want to pass it forward. We don't want players ahead of the ball. Instead we choose to go to the bylines for a cross and have fellas chase onto it. Percentages stuff.

Nearly every side comes to Dublin and outplays Ireland.

We can definitely do better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Of the 14 Swiss players playing today, seven are in the Europa League and three are in the Champions League this year. Four of their starters play at the same club! Of course they're going to knock the ball about a lot better than us. We don't have one in either competition. That was a good point today.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Yes we can. It was a couple of one twos against largely stationary defenders. You'd swear it was Messi level of technicalities.

We don't want to pass it forward. We don't want players ahead of the ball. Instead we choose to go to the bylines for a cross and have fellas chase onto it. Percentages stuff.

Nearly every side comes to Dublin and outplays Ireland.

We can definitely do better

Ireland haven't scored a goal like the Swiss did tonight in over 20 years I would say. The goal that McClean got against Austria a few years ago was decent but had less passes.

• Great result tbh. Great fight and spirit from us as always too. Fair play James Mc for creating that winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

McLean did well for the goal but overall is poor. Time to drop him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Would’ve taken a draw all day long before KO.

Atmosphere decent at the game this evening.

Swiss are a solid side but we played them at the right time.

Plenty of hope going into the last couple games. Great fight as per from the lads.

COYBIG

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    McLean did well for the goal but overall is poor. Time to drop him ?

It's McClean .

And No it isn't the time to drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

TheCitizen wrote: »
    It's McClean .

And No it isn't the time to drop him.

You know what I meant. Passion is second to none but it’s not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Great attitude and great heart from Ireland. McClean is a great character. People take that for granted too often, we could end up qualifying and it will be largely down to the attitude

Agreed. I've been critical. Best is yet to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Content with that result and we played ok in parts

Georgia is a must win game now. If we dont then I think we will be caught and goal difference could kill us against Denmark and Switzerland

Tonight could of been a lot worse

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    You know what I meant. Passion is second to none but it’s not enough

Well it could be enough to qualify for the Euros in 2020 as it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

Effectively ourselves Swiss and Denmark all on 11 points when you factor in Denmark to play Gibraltar once and Swiss to play them twice. We will be 3rd place on GD. These games are dead certs in reality. Going to be tight but those 2 sides are better than we are so it will be a big plus to split them and finish 2nd in table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's all very well to suggest that McClean should be dropped, but anyone making the suggestion should also suggest who replaces him. Otherwise, it's not very helpful.

secman wrote: »
    Effectively ourselves Swiss and Denmark all on 11 points when you factor in Denmark to play Gibraltar once and Swiss to play them twice. We will be 3rd place on GD. These games are dead certs in reality. Going to be tight but those 2 sides are better than we are so it will be a big plus to split them and finish 2nd in table.

In a 3way dogfight between us and Denmark and Switzerland, I'd back us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Assuming the top 3 beat the rest, our best bet is for the Danes to beat the Swiss and we'll draw our way to glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Assuming the top 3 beat the rest, our best bet is for the Danes to beat the Swiss and we'll draw our way to glory.

Same as it ever was :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭pgj2015

briany wrote: »
    It's all very well to suggest that McClean should be dropped, but anyone making the suggestion should also suggest who replaces him. Otherwise, it's not very helpful.

darl horgan

callum o dowda

michael duffy

robbie brady

tough run-in as they said on RTE. Last 3 matches.

Georgia away
    Swiss away
    Denmark home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The difference between Ireland and Switerland summed up in the Swiss goal.

We just can't do that.

I don't agree. McGoldrick's goal was very well executed.
    Glenn Whelan was millimetres from scoring the goal of the campaign.

We played very well for the last ten minutes and for albeit short pockets of time, I'd argue very skilfully. The crowd helped in that.

They are unpolished, have just come from a decade of pathetic mismanagement and have to deal with a home support which is diminished in size and vigour by all of the off the ball stuff.

Then, and only then, do I start considering their lack of experience. Which can't be ignored. But I don't think it's any less of a hindrance than the Ireland teams of the 90s who had the same issues, the majority were mediocre players by PL standards.

sdanseo wrote: »
    I don't agree. McGoldrick's goal was very well executed.
    Glenn Whelan was millimetres from scoring the goal of the campaign.

We played very well for the last ten minutes and for albeit short pockets of time, I'd argue very skilfully. The crowd helped in that.

They are unpolished, have just come from a decade of pathetic mismanagement and have to deal with a home support which is diminished in size and vigour by all of the off the ball stuff.

Then, and only then, do I start considering their lack of experience. Which can't be ignored. But I don't think it's any less of a hindrance than the Ireland teams of the 90s who had the same issues, the majority were mediocre players by PL standards.

when is the last time Ireland put together 4 quick passes (3 of them one touch) in the last third of the pitch and scored a goal as a result?

Ireland haven't done it so it can be said that they can't do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlReuJxInnw&feature=youtu.be&t=120

glasso wrote: »
    when is the last time Ireland put together 4 quick passes (3 of them one touch) in the last third of the pitch and scored a goal as a result?

We wouldn't ever try it so it's not true to say we can't do it..

We wouldn't ever be set up to do it. You would never have about four players on the edge of the d in front of an oncoming midfielder looking to play the ball into feet.

Not ever being set up to play that way is not the same as never being capable of playing that way.

We wouldn't ever be set up to do it. You would never have about four players on the edge of the d in front of an oncoming midfielder looking to play the ball into feet.

Not ever being set up to play that way is not the same as never being capable of playing that way.

it was a centre back who scored, not a midfielder.

I don't buy the set-up argument - set-up or not, can't do it - some of it because they have never tried - but that's the same result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I'll definitely take that. We were outplayed but kept fighting and got the point.

I haven't read the rest of the thread but I'm sure there was the usual clueless comments but I thought Whelan had a very good game. He had his usual blocks and tackles but he also spread the play very well to set up attacks and was very unlucky with his shot. I would have given him man of the match for Ireland.

Agreed, he was great and would have deserved a goal for that rasper off the bar. Thankfully we weren’t rueing it for long.

They give you their all do this bunch

it was a centre back who scored, not a midfielder.

I don't buy the set-up argument - set-up or not, can't do it - some of it because they have never tried - but that's the same result.

It was what 14 yards out! It was for sure a nice tidy finish but at the end of the day a professional footballer should be able to pass the ball into the net from the edge of the box.

I don't buy the argument that Irish players are incapable of playing football.

You think they are. Either way, I don't think we can expect anything to change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Fromvert wrote: »
    Of the 14 Swiss players playing today, seven are in the Europa League and three are in the Champions League this year. Four of their starters play at the same club! Of course they're going to knock the ball about a lot better than us. We don't have one in either competition. That was a good point today.

We have 1 in the champions league!

I think it would've been nice to see Parrott instead of Hogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

We nearly did tonight, look at the move to create McCleans chance in the first half

naughtb4 wrote: »
    We nearly did tonight, look at the move to create McCleans chance in the first half

Yeah that was half decent. They are capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The Swiss were clearly better footballers and had us under real pressure until their goal. After they scored though Ireland were on top and started to play a bit.

I don't think McClean is much of a footballer skillwise but his effort was outstanding epitomised by his winning the ball and cross for the goal.

Whelan had a very good game too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Plenty of hope going into the last couple games. Great fight as per from the lads.

COYBIG

A draw? In a home game?

That sums up Irish football tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I’d say there’s a lot of disgusted people here we found the equalizer. In fairness to them they always find a way.

COYBIG

A draw? In a home game?

That sums up the sense of entitlement amongst some Irish fans.

Look at the two teams, a draw is a decent result

That sums up the sense of entitlement amongst some Irish fans.

Look at the two teams, a draw is a decent result

Yes but the swiss were ordinary last night. We still looked really poor for large parts of the game. We will need to beat either them away or the danes at home now.

Id say some on here would take 3 draws from our last 3 games though and paint it that we were unlucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yes but the swiss were ordinary last night. We still looked really poor for large parts of the game. We will need to beat either them away or the danes at home now.

Id say some on here would take 3 draws from our last 3 games though and paint it that we were unlucky.

The Swiss are a very good team with much better players techically than us and probably most of Europe. However we have grit and determination which sometimes balances things out. I think we are better away from home as not trying to force the issue but Georgia next month will be very tough to get the points.

But we dont, if the Swiss/Danes win then a draw against both and beating Georgia sends us through.

I thought we were pretty good last night and some nice football was played at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Maybe we made them look very ordinary though, the swiss are a very good side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

A draw? In a home game?

That attitude was summed up by some prick behind me at the game last night. Did nothing but slate the team and McGoldrick in particular. Called Ireland "embarrassing" and "pathetic" and said he was sick of seeing us outplayed by "mediocre" teams such as the no. 10 team in the world Switzerland. The likes of him should go back to supporting the drive for five and Man United. Tosser.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    That attitude was summed up by some prick behind me at the game last night. Did nothing but slate the team and McGoldrick in particular. Called Ireland "embarrassing" and "pathetic" and said he was sick of seeing us outplayed by "mediocre" teams such as the no. 10 team in the world Switzerland. The likes of him should go back to supporting the drive for five and Man United. Tosser.

Whats wrong with fans wanting us to show a little ambition at home? As poor as we are I fully believe we are capable of causing teams a little more trouble on our home patch. I also have issues with team selection. I think with some of our other players fit and some subtle tweaks we would be a lot better on the ball and going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A draw? In a home game?

We are not exactly a good team, so not sure what you were expecting.

We are the "dogs of war" type of team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Whats wrong with fans wanting us to show a little ambition at home? As poor as we are I fully believe we are capable of causing teams a little more trouble on our home patch. I also have issues with team selection. I think with some of our other players fit and some subtle tweaks we would be a lot better on the ball and going forward.

If we showed ambition we would have been tore apart we don't have the players

That is a very good Swiss team last night that was made look poor by the effort from our lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

A draw? In a home game?

Were you not happy with a draw?

You said yourself we were poor for large parts of the game. What did you expect?

Of course I would love for Ireland to go out and beat Switzerland but I'm a realist, the Swiss are a decent, solid side that have qualified for 7 of the last 8 major tournament and finished 4th in the Nations League from League A.

Ireland were relegated from League B.

A draw against these is a good result and we'll need results in other games to go in our favour for us to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think the narrative is if we drop Whelan (the cause of all of Irelands midfield woe apparently) we will have sudden world class midfielders like Hendrick and Arter at their best to help us carve up anyone.

Basically some play Fifa on amateur and thinks its real life. Badly disconnected from reality of the Irish players and what they are capable of.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I think the narrative is if we drop Whelan (the cause of all of Irelands midfield woe apparently) we will have sudden world class midfielders like Hendrick and Arter at their best to help us carve up anyone.

Basically some play Fifa on amateur and thinks its real life. Badly disconnected from reality of the Irish players and what they are capable of.

I think the narrative is that some believe we would just be a better team. Going on past performances when Whelan hasn't been in there our midfield has looked a better unit.

I think the narrative is that some believe we would just be a better team. Going on past performances when Whelan hasn't been in there our midfield has looked a better unit.

I would say the exact opposite

I mean, do you not tire yourself out with this ****e? We’re closing in on 12 years of the same repetitive conversation. ‘Why can’t Ireland get it on the deck’; ‘why isn’t player X (used to be Andy Reid, now it’s Arter apparently) on the pitch?’; ‘that stalwart with the near 100 caps or more (it used to be Kilbane, it’s now Whelan, but it’s always *someone*) is ****e, he wouldn’t get a game for Finn Harps’.

But my personal favourite is ‘see, why can’t they do that all the time?’ when the lads play way above and beyond themselves in a key moment, generally every two years or so.

You’ve had three bloody regimes and have nearly gone through two generations of players and ye still can’t drill reality into your metal skulls. We’re not as good as our opponents. We’re third seeds for a reason. We have no Champions League / Europa League players and every year more of the squad plies their trade away from the top level. Maybe Trapp was an idiot. But are Trapp, his assistants, O’Neill, Keane, McCarthy and his staff all idiots? All of them? And you, mr. ****ing armchair, slating lads like McClean and Whelan and whoever else are right all this time? **** off.

So yeah, I am happy with the draw last night. We’re bringing this group down to the wire, scratching and clawing for every point. All I ask and expect is their best and they give that to us every time. Lansdowne was rocking last night towards the end because for the second game in a row these lads refused to be beaten by technically superior opposition. And if they keep not getting beat, they might just get to play in the big show at home. Get behind it, it might just be class.

I would say the exact opposite

It is absolutely outrageous that people can’t appreciate his value. Or that - after all these years and all these different staffs picking him - that they wouldn’t maybe question that they are wrong on the subject. Maddening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement