Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dormer house question

• 05-09-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

We built dormer house in 2012. During the summer upstairs gets unbearable warm n in winter it's impossible to heat. Our walls are insulated but we think attic may need another layer of insulation. Would insufficient attic insulation be the cause of coldness upstairs in winter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What was the final air permeability (blower door) test result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

The weak spot might be the rafters and rakes. Get a thermal camera on the roof. There could be spots where there’s no insulation and that could be the cause of the problem. A dormer is hard to fix on a retrofit. Not as simple as adding extra in the attic.

I build a dormer in 2010 to a A standard for an example. I went for natural insulation as wife and kids are asthmatic . 400mm of cellulose in the attic
    I added or increased the size of my rafters and i think it was 300 mm cellulose on the rafters and cross battened with 75 mm sheep’s wool and the same on the rakes

budget1984 wrote: »
    We built dormer house in 2012. During the summer upstairs gets unbearable warm n in winter it's impossible to heat. Our walls are insulated but we think attic may need another layer of insulation. Would insufficient attic insulation be the cause of coldness upstairs in winter

Advertisement