Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best network for coverage

Options
  • 05-09-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hi

With Eir at the moment and finding that the coverage out of Cork as well as abroad BRUTAL to say the least.

What is the best network for coverage? I'm aware of the Virgin €5 month offer so would be interested to know how Virgin stack up.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Hi

With Eir at the moment and finding that the coverage out of Cork as well as abroad BRUTAL to say the least.

What is the best network for coverage? I'm aware of the Virgin €5 month offer so would be interested to know how Virgin stack up.

TIA

Virgin use 3's network for coverage. So whatever you get out of 3 you will get on virgin. For me I have never had an issue with coverage with 3. Saying that, there are a lot of posters that have issues.

I find overall that Vodafone are the best for coverage. I'm pretty much on 4g all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Without a doubt Vodafone has the best coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sinus pain wrote: »

Which isn't saying much in my experience where I often find myself with a bar or two of 4G coverage, calls drop out, and not to mention the overpriced and poor value packages with ridiculous contract lengths.

I've been with all the main networks and we don't HAVE a "best" one. Three are massively oversubscribed and poor quality as a result, and all of them have very bad customer service operations.

As such it's a case of the "best of the worst" and as such I'd stick with Eir as they have decent value packages and bundles, the network is alright and WiFi calling is available and in general it's pretty reliable and problem free.... BUT if anything does go wrong, prepare to be bounced around departments by disinterested staff, be randomly cut off in the process and spend hours at it.. Pro tip : once you've had this happen once just lodge a complaint with Comreg. Although they can't mandate a solution, it generally gets a more competent and efficient response from Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

Definitely vodafone in rural Ireland. They are supposed to be rolling out 5G now already started in larger cities. A 5G phone will be required. It will take time to cover the island

Also I don't know how many petitions I have come across trying to prevent the erection of phone masts. We can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sinus pain wrote: »

I can second this. I work all over the country and Vodafone have the best coverage. They also have the best network for speeds but I think this is mostly down to them being the most expensive. I have dual SIM, a Vodafone SIM for work and a private 3 SIM and I regularly turn on my Vodafone work SIM when I'm off duty for better speed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

How much of their infrastructure, if any, do the mobile operators share?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've been with all three over the past few years and Vodafone are by far the best for coverage and internet speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

None apparently. They used to have roaming agreements between them many years ago, but not for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

3 have several that use their network - Tesco, Virgin, 48 to name a few

Vodafone I *think* allows Postphone to use theirs.

Eir is eir and what used to be meteor (was the same thing really anyway - just branding and package differences)

Advertisement