Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a restaurant in Kinsale, this weekend

• 05-09-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Visiting with an American friend, staying in the area
    I know that Kinsale has a reputation for gastronomic excellence; and would like to take our friend to a place with fresh, good Irish food on Saturday night.

The only time I've ever been in the town before - briefly, twenty years ago - we did have the most superlative pizza; but I can't remember any more than that.

A quick look on th'Internet proposes Man Friday and White House among a plethora of others. But we can't really tell from tourist reviews if they really are any good or worth the money.

All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I wouldn’t bother with The White House — it’s pretty average.

I eat out in Kinsale a lot and my favorite restaurant is The Supper Club. It really is fantastic but can be difficult to get a table.

Bastion is also very good but quite expensive.

The Bulman is another really good place but a little bit outside of the town.

Fishy Fishy is very well known but I think their food is overpriced and not as good as it’s reputation.

Likewise Man Friday’s reputation is better than their food.

Max’s is nice but again a bit overpriced.

The Blue Haven is a complete rip off.

If you’re looking for decent pub grub then Kitty O’Sheas is the place and a very lively pub with a trad session every night.

I’ve eaten in pretty much every establishment in Kinsale so feel free to ask about any others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Thanks @anacc, that's a very comprehensive answer! Sounds like you know your stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We dined at Fishy Fishy in the end, by agreement of the group.
    I had the Surf-and-Turf - a weird sounding combo of scallops and black pudding, over creamed parsnip - and a small dish of fresh veg to accompany.

My lord, it was superlative: glorious. Expensive but worth it.
    Tenderest, freshest scallops I've ever eaten (and I'm not really a seafood fan!) and the flavour combination really did work.
    The beetroot in the veg was weepingly good - sounds strange, but true fact: we almost drooled over this.

PS Dessert - not outstanding - sort of ordinary: skip this. A common failing nowadays for some reason. Have desserts gone out of fashion?

PPS Definitely going back to Kinsale: it was prettier than I expected, full of energy and charm, - and awesome food.

Advertisement