Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live in continental europe.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Over and back, every single week? Sounds a pain.
    Besides the title of the thread was 'live in continental europe'
    and that's short/mid-haul commuting.

Maybe it'll be easier in 2035 when auto-translate is perfected and available as a direct neural implant with zero lag via the 8G Starlink cloud.

He doesn't want to move to a boring sh1thole like Canada or Australia.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Maybe it'll be easier in 2035 when auto-translate is perfected and available as a direct neural implant with zero lag via the 8G Starlink cloud.

At this stage we all get your position, you are either not will or incapable of learning another language. Fine that is up to you, but there are many other people who don't suffer your limitations, so stop trying project your limitations on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Just merely pointing out that if your goal is purely money then you can indeed make good money in Continental Europe only speaking English.

In NL there are many people using English as their second language to work.

Also you can dip your toe in the water and go over to work, see how you like it and then move over permanently if you want, you can't do that with the US, Canada, Oz or NZ. It's all or nothing.

If you want to get by with just English in larger Continental European cities you can do just that.

As an EU Citizen you have the same rights as everyone else as well (only difference being voting rights in National Elections) so you have access to all the same services as people living there.

You can even learn the local language if you like.

What I really appreciate is I don't need a car, i use Public Transport. If it's sunny I rent a cabrio, if it's long distance to go skiing I rent a big Diesel combi or if I want some fun I rent an Electric Car.

I just had a fractured ankle recently, went to a German Hospital, everyone spoke english, allot of the documentation was supplied in English, my Taxi costs to and from the Hospital were covered and they even offered someone to come around and do some shopping/cooking and cleaning while I was laid up.

And we get 32 days holidays per year + Public Holidays and overtime isn't seen as normal :)

Anyway man :) I assume you have a good experience but just pointing out many people are living and working on the continent and living a very comfortable and enriching life and if you are an EU Citizen coming from another EU Country it's very easy to move.

Sure, Continental Europe is not for everyone, but the former Colonies which are relatively young with underdeveloped public transport, culture and history aren't really for everyone either, also they are far away from Family and long term friends whereas the Continent is not.

There are even more opportunies these days since IR35 came in, you'll see less UK Contractors going over to the continent to work as it's less financially attractive.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/smallbusiness/article-7256775/Still-confused-IR35-tax-changes-impact-Heres-simple-guide.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

redcup342 wrote: »
    I just had a fractured ankle recently, went to a German Hospital, everyone spoke english, allot of the documentation was supplied in English, my Taxi costs to and from the Hospital were covered and they even offered someone to come around and do some shopping/cooking and cleaning while I was laid up.

Pretty much the same here in Switzerland, except you have to pay for transport. On the other hand it is pretty easy to get them to send you to resort in the mountains for a few weeks to recover.
    And we get 32 days holidays per year + Public Holidays and overtime isn't seen as normal :)

Overtime is not normal in most of the EU/EEA/CH, but I don't think the poster appreciates the work-live balance in any case.
    There are even more opportunies these days since IR35 came in, you'll see less UK Contractors going over to the continent to work as it's less financially attractive.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/smallbusiness/article-7256775/Still-confused-IR35-tax-changes-impact-Heres-simple-guide.html

They won't get the permits for a start... and most agencies won't bother applying for them in any case, they will just take contractors from the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would feel really isolated in Aus or NZ. It's just so far away from family. My 77 year old mam is here with us again for a couple of weeks. We'll be in Ireland for the Easter holidays. Mam will be back over in the summer and so on. That would be practically impossible if we didn't live in Europe.

We can visit a myriad of cultures in an hour on a plane. That's not possible in the new world where the distances are vast.

I personally know 3 families that went to Aus and returned. My best friend left for Aus when he was 5 years old. His parents argued about returning for the following 30 years!

Ok with modern technology it's not as bad but not the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement