Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freemasons

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Do you think if Grandmaster Flash had of tried to join the Masons back in
    the 80s that they wouldn't have let him in because it would have caused acrimony and confusion in the lower ranks?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Nexytus wrote: »
    the 80s that they wouldn't have let him in because it would have caused acrimony and confusion in the lower ranks?

Was he invited to become a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You’re “interest” in the Freemasons seems to stretch beyond that of mild curiosity. It’s a little worrying.

Your habit of constantly jumping to the "defence" of Freemasonary and telling everyone to "move along now, nothing to see here" is a little worrying.
    Especially for someone who "says" he isn't a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

My own personal experience is that masons are a nasty bunch who protect each other no matter what they do.

I have seen corruption, theft and crime covered up first hand.

I can honestly say I have never met a nice Mason, the decent ones leave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

My own personal experience is that masons are a nasty bunch who protect each other no matter what they do.

I have seen corruption, theft and crime covered up first hand.

I can honestly say I have never met a nice Mason, the decent ones leave

Keep it up, I think you are some ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Much of the 'charity' has an internal focus. Families of deceased members get looked after. Some of it such as hospital visits has an external focus alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

What people don't know they either usually fear or hate for some reason.

For me, if they aint harming anyone - good for fcuking them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Your habit of constantly jumping to the "defence" of Freemasonary and telling everyone to "move along now, nothing to see here" is a little worrying.
    Especially for someone who "says" he isn't a member.

I don’t think I’ve “defended” anything. And I’m not sure there’s anything I would even need to “defend” them against.

It’s clear for all to see that your “interest” in the Order is born out of some, baseless, conspiracy theory nonsense. Which, to be honest, is more than a little disrespectful.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don’t think I’ve “defended” anything. And I’m not sure there’s anything I would even need to “defend” them against.

It’s clear for all to see that your “interest” in the Order is born out of some, baseless, conspiracy theory nonsense. Which, to be honest, is more than a little disrespectful.

Ah get over yourself, Spicey. Why should you be so butthurt if people "disrespect" a society that you have nothing to do with.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Covid19

As a Mason, and a long-time one at that, I find it amusing to read the various experts who appear to know so much about our fraternity, yet are so far off the Mark ( If you excuse the pun) that its quite funny.

I see a few pretenders too. Google is your friend.
    My personal experience has been very positive indeed. I've met some of the most genuine and nicest folk over the years and have never encountered malice in any way.

By the way, the guy above who purports to be a Mason yet does not know who the current GM is either never checks his emails, or is pulling your legs. Again, most of what he's talking about is pulled from various websites.

Are there any actual Masons here?

Finally. We are absolutely not allowed to recruit. If you want to be one, ask one. You will never be approached to join.

• Advertisement

It was not a bible. It may have looked like a bible, it may have read like a bible but it was not a bible. When you come in you get told what that book really is and what it stands for. There are more intricate parts to just observing the book as just a bible. I wont be discussing anymore what the book is or what it represents or how it is used.

If you think Masonry is just about handshakes and tea and cakes afterwards you are much mistaken. There is a history, culture and heritage to it. Like I said it is not for everyone and neither should it be.

So, Skooter, what's your lodge number? Your experience of Masonry seems to be very different to mine. Are you a member here in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Covid19 wrote: »
    Finally. We are absolutely not allowed to recruit. If you want to be one, ask one. You will never be approached to join.

Is this a test?

an Amp test...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I visit the freemasons hall as part of culture night last year, I was really impressed with it to be honest. The impression I got was its a bunch of lads who have no mates kinda club. If you read the above sentence you can kind of understand the bending over and getting battered across the arse with the rubber duck, the secret handshake is maybe an ancient **** ritual.
    There is no womens freemasons in ireland because basically women have a load of sinister clubs of there own ( bingo etc).
    But if women want to set up there own irish masons (the new Gestapo) well the masons here will help them. In that note I reckon the womens masons handshake will probably resemble male castration. Doh (homer in me coming out)being a man I'd like to see the womens version of the rubber duck initiation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

We dont know! The rites go back beyond the mist of time. The first Lodges in Ireland, England and Scotland appeared 300 years ago.

Is which bit about the 33rd degree true? I have heard many things about it, be more specific.

The internet is the worst place to go to do research about it. You will get answers at either pole. It is either the greatest movement of fraternal love for the advancement of mankind in the world or it is hiding a greater agenda to dominate and enslave the world through banking and other means.

Neither case is true, it lies in between. 2B1Ask1. Hang around with a few of them if you want to join. It maybe for you, it may not be for you.

From what I can make out there appears to be levels avobe the 33rd degree level. Is there any truth in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

As a Mason, and a long-time one at that, I find it amusing to read the various experts who appear to know so much about our fraternity, yet are so far off the Mark ( If you excuse the pun) that its quite funny.

I see a few pretenders too. Google is your friend.
    My personal experience has been very positive indeed. I've met some of the most genuine and nicest folk over the years and have never encountered malice in any way.

By the way, the guy above who purports to be a Mason yet does not know who the current GM is either never checks his emails, or is pulling your legs. Again, most of what he's talking about is pulled from various websites.

Are there any actual Masons here?

So whats with the apparent recruitment drive then - with posters being urged to 'find out more' join or similar?

From what I can make out there appears to be levels avobe the 33rd degree level. Is there any truth in that?

I believe the gentleman you ask is not a Mason, judging by his excited posts. I'll answer for you. In ordinary Masonry, there are 3 degrees. Apprentice, Felliwcrafr and Master Mason. Further degrees are attained through side Orders, some of which you rise to and others you are invited to join, such as Prince Masonry etc. The culmination of these side Orders make up the 33 degrees. Think of them as 33 points in a moral compass. Each degree has a simple lesson in morality. That's all there is to it. More or less.

Ah get over yourself, Spicey. Why should you be so butthurt if people "disrespect" a society that you have nothing to do with.

It was this bit that cracked me up :pac:

If anyone has any questions about the Order I would urge you to “check out” the official website ...

Those with an “inquisitive” mind, and pure of heart, will find it both interesting and informative.

gozunda wrote: »
    So whats with the apparent recruitment drive then - with posters being urged to 'find out more' join or similar?

We'll. It's pretty simple. If someone is curious about a club or society, it's common sense to tell them to contact GO to find out more. We actually don't need a recruitment drive. We're pretty good on numbers of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

How much are the pheasant suits ?

We'll. It's pretty simple. If someone is curious about a club or society, it's common sense to tell them to contact GO to find out more. We actually don't need a recruitment drive. We're pretty good on numbers of late.

So the resurrection of 2 different old threads on the Masons in so many days and announcing unbidden that amongst other things "It's great fun" and "happy to answer any questions" doesn't seem a bit I dunno whiffy no? Grand so :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    It's always been alleged that freemasons are in charge of a secret "New World Order" that controls politics, society and commerce.

There is no doubt that many of America's Founding Fathers in 1776 were avowed freemasons. They were very secular and freethinking.

The other allegation is that they believe in a composite God from ancient civilisations like Judaism, Babylon and Egypt. Often believed to be the Devil.

Remarkably.... they are not allowed discuss religion or politics at their meetings.

I firmly believe the Bilderbergs control the world. This will become apparent with the "Great reset" that will unveiled at Davros and will sound alot like UN agenda 2030. Thanks be to god we have Simon Coveney representing Ireland.

You are allowed to "discuss religion or politics" that is correct or use the Lodge for political advancement. Many years ago in France, Sarkozy used both the Grand Lodge and Grand Orient to get re-elected but it failed. French Lodges were out of bounds to other members world wide until matter were corrected (I never heard for definite but I assume some members had to step down). Daniel O Connell used the London Lodges to advance Catholic Emancipation and Irish priest Mon. Hugh O Flaherty used his connection in Grand Lodge with the Wehrmacht to save Jews and evade capture during World War 2. You meet people from all walks of life in Lodge. What you look for you will find there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I believe the gentleman you ask is not a Mason, judging by his excited posts. I'll answer for you. In ordinary Masonry, there are 3 degrees. Apprentice, Felliwcrafr and Master Mason. Further degrees are attained through side Orders, some of which you rise to and others you are invited to join, such as Prince Masonry etc. The culmination of these side Orders make up the 33 degrees. Think of them as 33 points in a moral compass. Each degree has a simple lesson in morality. That's all there is to it. More or less.

Does it stop at 33?

Does it stop at 33?

above my pay grade. 33 is a special number, that reoccurs in maths and history.

We have 2 fellow crafts and three Master Masons that are on hold with candidates in coming and a recession usually bolster numbers. It could be three years before we clear that backlog. I dont like the idea of giving more than one degree in a night, every candidate should have their own special night. Numbers might have to take priority.

topper75 wrote: »
    Much of the 'charity' has an internal focus. Families of deceased members get looked after. Some of it such as hospital visits has an external focus alright.

What do you think of the Alzheimer's Charity, Forget me nots?
    What do you think of the TLC bears? 99.5% Efficiency because expert members in Logistics, Finance and marketing donate their time for free.
    You do know we donate to outside charities like Saint Vincent de Paul?
    There is a lot going if you look a little closer.

I am not a secretary (fairplay to them they do a great job) and my life is busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

If you are that interested, ask to join yourself. Go to the library. Find out about all the different kinds (Antediluvian orders Grand Lodge, Forresters, AoH, KoC and the OO are all in Ireland, Grand Orient are gone). 2B1Ask1.

Does anybody know much about the Irish order of Foresters ? They still exist right?

4hzgw2.jpg

Does anybody know much about the Irish order of Foresters ? They still exist right?

They do exist, I have never met one. Brian Cowan was purported to be one. I cannot confirm or deny this. I know nothing about them.

• Advertisement

I believe the gentleman you ask is not a Mason, judging by his excited posts.

How do you know? You have never met me, you have never examined me.

Does it stop at 33?

I have never met anyone in person who was above a 32nd degree. Loads of the American lodges have them. The regulations in Ireland are different to America. There are a fixed number of 32nd degrees, you gain those promotions by attendance, ability to remember rites and passages and activities. Over in the States you can be promoted that way and get promotions other ways too.

I believe it stops at 33. Other people outside the organisation may tell you it goes much higher.

unnamed.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

They wouldn't have let him in with a criminal record either. They check you out.

So, Skooter, what's your lodge number? Your experience of Masonry seems to be very different to mine. Are you a member here in Ireland?

You know my Lodge number, I am a current member of GLI and RA. What is your Name, Lodge and highest achieved office. You have declined to answer this in PM's?

You know my Lodge number, I am a current member of GLI and RA. What is your Name, Lodge and highest achieved office. You have declined to answer this in PM's?

I presume you contacted him with the secret PM.

• Advertisement

I presume you contacted him with the secret PM.

Does the PM begin with my rubber chicken believes your rubber chicken is a wicked chicken and has no life in it. Therefore you cannot be a member of the great lodge when your rubber chicken turns into a rubber ball and bounces over to me, well we'll see what we can do. If the PM doesn't start like that well it should.
    If you get blackballed in the lodge. Is there a little painter there with a can of black paint for your testicles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

“Tonight we are here to commemorate our glorious society's 1500th anniversary, and in honor of this momentous occasion ... we're having ribs!”

branie2 wrote: »
    “Tonight we are here to commemorate our glorious society's 1500th anniversary, and in honor of this momentous occasion ... we're having ribs!”

Actually I'd two sheets of bacon ribs for my dinner, and I didn't have to wait that long for my ribs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Kylta wrote: »
    Does the PM begin with my rubber chicken believes your rubber chicken is a wicked chicken and has no life in it. Therefore you cannot be a member of the great lodge when your rubber chicken turns into a rubber ball and bounces over to me, well we'll see what we can do. If the PM doesn't start like that well it should.
    If you get blackballed in the lodge. Is there a little painter there with a can of black paint for your testicles?

Is this supposed to be funny? You should get 2 phones and just text yourself. Because you're that funny.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Is this supposed to be funny? You should get 2 phones and just text yourself. Because you're that funny.

Actually I think its hilarious, what do I need two phones for, I can reread the post again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Treppen

above my pay grade. 33 is a special number, that reoccurs in maths and history.

How does 33 reoccur in maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

blinding wrote: »
    I fell in to the Freemasons Arms and had a few pints . Is it better than getting stoned ?

Was he a gentle and giving lover :P?

Treppen wrote: »
    How does 33 reoccur in maths?

It reoccurs in Geometry, music, biology, cartography, you would be hard pressed not to find it. All these science use maths.

Advertisement