Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy beside social housing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yurt! wrote: »
    Have a chat with her then. I've had to have words with neighbors before (both social, private owners and indeed private renters) about issues. You've made her into some sort of benefits Queen sociological case study because there are plastic toys on her lawn. She's not taking a hit of a crack pipe in her underwear.

May I suggest you're letting your resentments about housing and the housing process bleed into your relationship and perceptions of your neighbour?

As I said, I knew someone would make this about elitism.... No! I just want to live in a nice place with people with a shared social responsibility. I shouldn't have to reprimand a grown adult about how to behave in a shared environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Bluefoam wrote: »
    As I said, I knew someone would make this about elitism.... No! I just want to live in a nice place with people with a shared social responsibility. I shouldn't have to reprimand a grown adult about how to behave in a shared environment.

I'd suggest a residents council. It's a shared environment, there are going to be issues from people of all stripes. It's a hell of a lot better than developing a passive aggressive relationship with another adult because plastic toys are irritating you.

We live in 21st century Ireland, not frontiersman Colorado in the 19th century with your homestead on 100 acres - you're going to have to get used to people.

I'd suggest a residents council. It's a shared environment, there are going to be issues from people of all stripes. It's a hell of a lot better than developing a passive aggressive relationship with another adult because plastic toys are irritating you.

We live in 21st century Ireland, not frontiersman Colorado in the 19th century with your homestead on 100 acres - you're going to have to get used to people.

Oh believe me I not getting involved at all... She is doing her thing and I'm doing mine... Again you are avoiding the point I've made and refocusing the arguement on related but insignificant points... It's typical trolling and avoids the actual issues.

You mentioned 21st century Ireland... Which is where I grew up. I got a social education from my parents, grandparents, family, neighbours, friends and community... How so many people in the same society I grew up in haven't received the same social grounding is intriguing to me... As I close up for the night I have just noticed their toy tractor in pieces on the street, seems to have been run over by a delivery driver. I wonder will she clean up the mess?

Oh believe me I not getting involved at all... She is doing her thing and I'm doing mine... Again you are avoiding the point I've made and refocusing the arguement on related but insignificant points... It's typical trolling and avoids the actual issues.

You mentioned 21st century Ireland... Which is where I grew up. I got a social education from my parents, grandparents, family, neighbours, friends and community... How so many people in the same society I grew up in haven't received the same social grounding is intriguing to me... As I close up for the night I have just noticed their toy tractor in pieces on the street, seems to have been run over by a delivery driver. I wonder will she clean up the mess?

FFS, this is peeping through the curtains Hyacinth Bucket stuff. You say it's not elitism yet you're here on a rager giving out about a woman's kids' toys in the front yard.

And the little soliloquy about your family's social grounding goes right back to what I posted earlier: "I'm the upstanding spine of the nation, and this person over here is an indolent sh*theel sh*tting out kids. AND THE KIDS TOYS ARE ON THE LAWN"

Life hack: If you're unhappy about a neighbour's behaviour, address it. 99% of the time people are fine if you pull them up on stuff politely if it's genuinely affecting you.

FFS, this is peeping through the curtains Hyacinth Bucket stuff. You say it's not elitism yet you're here on a rager giving out about a woman's kids' toys in the front yard.

Life hack: If you're unhappy about a neighbour's behaviour, address it. 99% of the time people are fine if you pull them up on stuff politely if it's genuinely affecting you.

Again, you are persuing an argument that I'm not making. I'm discussing social values and the right to aspiration and you are focusing on the minuté of plastic toys in an out of context manner... As I said, my neighbor is just one example, the point I want to make is a broader social one.

I'd prefer to see a system that provides medium term housing to social tenants, that is cheaper to build and doesn't provide the same luxuries as buy to own housing. This would provide a leverage for people to manage their housing situation, improve their own finances, aspire to something that suits them and they want and provide a more socially equitable solution to the housing market, possibly also helping to remove some of the medium term pressure off the supply chain...

Don't be so stupid. No one wants to have to deal with that. I don't want a bill for new tyres if I unknowingly drive actress that debris... Give over your self righteous bull****. Stop putting the onus on others... We should all behave in a socially conscious manner.

Again, you are persuing an argument that I'm not making. I'm discussing social values and the right to aspiration and you are focusing on the minuté of plastic toys in an out of context manner... As I said, my neighbor is just one example, the point I want to make is a broader social one.

Your social values conversation is one that betrays an elitism. This woman drives a car that's nicer than yours (apparently) and has an untidy front lawn. You've extrapolated that into some broader lamentation about how you've blistered hands and the valiant sacrifices you've made in your life, and even included a vignette about the rock solid values instilled in you by your parents and grandparents.

If we break it down, you're really just p*ssed off at how much you paid for your house and she didn't - you feel like you deserve more or perhaps that she deserves less. The toys on the lawn are just something to give out about.

It's no surprise, and this is what a lot of these threads come down to if you pull the thread on the jumper a little bit.

Your social values conversation is one that betrays an elitism. This woman drives a car that's nicer than yours (apparently) and has an untidy front lawn. You've extrapolated that into some broader lamentation about how you've blistered hands and the valiant sacrifices you've made in your life, and even included a vignette about the rock solid values instilled in you by your parents and grandparents.

If we break it down, you're really just p*ssed off at how much you paid for your house and she didn't - you feel like you deserve more or perhaps that she deserves less. The toys on the lawn are just something to give out about.

It's no surprise, and this is what a lot of these threads come down to if you pull the thread on the jumper a little bit.

Again, purposely avoiding the actual point...

Don't be so stupid. No one wants to have to deal with that. I don't want a bill for new tyres if I unknowingly drive actress that debris... Give over your self righteous bull****. Stop putting the onus on others... We should all behave in a socially conscious manner.

Do your estate a favour and have a quiet word about the toys if it's such a blight on everyone's lives. You might just be surprised at how cooperative she is.

Again, purposely avoiding the actual point...

Oh don't worry, you've been read loud and clear.

• Advertisement

@Yurt you are hyper focused on the plastic toys and seem to think that I'm really upset by them. I'm not, they are were just a small example in a broader point about social values... You can stop talking about them now.

I'm not going to confront my neighbor about how she treats her house or mine. I won't be arranging a residents council... I will just go about my business and she'll go about hers. I'm not pissed off by any of this stuff, I'm trying to engage in a dialogue about social housing, aspiration and social values.

Please stop derailing the conversation. Tired of talking about a neighbor that I have no interest in discussing further.

And I've experience working with the great and good of this country (public and private sector) that fill our newpapers - who employ PR goons to keep the kayfabe going to the public that they're utterly brilliant and deserve their riches .Trust me, the amount of greasers and feckless with their hand in the taxpayer cookie jar wearing suits far outstrips those on modest benefits for whatever reason. I'm not mad at a single mother having a roof over her head and a few bob to get by.

Too many people have drunk the kool-aid that those at the bottom rungs of society are somehow responsible for the unforgiving neo-liberal sh*tshow that makes life's essentials (like dignified housing) so expensive.

Studies across developed countries show that for every dollar given on benefits, up to ten dollars of savings are made elsewhere. Apart from being a good idea for maintaining some sort of social cohesion and good economic sense, it's also a backstop from ensuring society doesn't go full lord of the flies and seeing upper class people's heads on pikes on College Green. The people who run our country know this.

Dont disagree with a word of that tbh.

Blame enough for everyone!

@Yurt you are hyper focused on the plastic toys and seem to think that I'm really upset by them. I'm not, they are were just a small example in a broader point about social values... You can stop talking about them now.

I'm not going to confront my neighbor about how she treats her house or mine. I won't be arranging a residents council... I will just go about my business and she'll go about hers. I'm not pissed off by any of this stuff, I'm trying to engage in a dialogue about social housing, aspiration and social values.

Please stop derailing the conversation. Tired of talking about a neighbor that I have no interest in discussing further.

And you've placed your values above hers, without very much insight into who the woman is, her background, what she may have had to go through etc. The centerpiece of your argument was her lawn, you made it that way, not me - and it strikes me as a very narrow and nosey value judgement to make.

You've made very little headway on your social values thesis save the assertion that you're awesome and she's indolent.

And you've placed your values above hers, without very much insight into who the woman is, her background, what she may have had to go through etc. The centerpiece of your argument was her lawn, you made it that way, not me - and it strikes me as a very narrow and nosey value judgement to make.

You've made very little headway on your social values thesis save the assertion that you're awesome and she's indolent.

Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Bluefoam, if she is a tenant she can't have that many living there, find out if it is owned by the council or housing association, if its a housing association, and tell them about the situation, the housing associations have tenant liaison officers and support workers all kinds.

Ignoring it and saying she is doing her own thing is not the way to go.

Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Oh dear, coming back to the thread it would apper the wokes are outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Windowsnut

I wouldn’t buy into a managed estate with social housing units again for the following reason:

I am currently living in one and it is an absolute nightmare.

There is around 300 units in total on the development, around 100 are social housing.

At every AGM, the housing authority issues its votes to the management company director, who in turn uses the 100 votes to ride rough shot and vote down any motions proposed by the private houses! It is mental and so very wrong!!

While the 100 or so houses are managed quite well by the housing authority’s agent, the local county council bought additional houses that went up for sale in the development directly. The tenants in these are a nightmare - one let the rubbish build up in the back garden until a rat infestation problem erupted, another was supposedly a ‘reformed’ addict’ who now lies on the green strung out.

People paid betweeen €450 / 500k for houses on the development at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

We rented beside really nice couple, children went to private school, parents highly educated, managerial positions, house is a tip, grass up to your knees, dog pooing and weeing everywhere, broken furniture, weeds, cleaner used to come and spend ages at the front door trying to decide where to start first. My husband used to try and help them to sort things as we are super tidy. The difference though I guess is that the area in general was really nice and an old estate, so many people with various incomes, miserly pensioners, well off middle aged, well off older people, struggling young couples etc, renters, all types of people. Would you consider selling up and getting something in an estate like this. Forget about cars and flooring, just get something where the people won't drive you mad, im real tidy too and hate weeds, just the way I am...do it up little by little......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

All this weed hate. Weeds are good, the bees like them! I wish this manicured lawn thing the Victorians invented never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I mostly stay out of these kind of threads as I find it genuinely saddening to realise how horrible so many of my fellow citizens really are.

Sometimes, I can't help myself, though, and I react.

I always try to remember that this website isn't a representative sample of the population and is enriched for the opinionated who frequently tend to have unpleasant opinions. I still frequently get wound up reading threads though.

I wish people had the empathy to realise that many people getting state benefits were deserving. I wonder if the state was a larger provider of housing (i.e to the middle class) would the attitudes dissipate?

Heraclius wrote: »
    I always try to remember that this website isn't a representative sample of the population and is enriched for the opinionated who frequently tend to have unpleasant opinions. I still frequently get wound up reading threads though.

I wish people had the empathy to realise that many people getting state benefits were deserving. I wonder if the state was a larger provider of housing (i.e to the middle class) would the attitudes dissipate?

Are you reading the thread? There is no attempt to cast aspersions on people just because they are on welfare or indeed, in social housing. For my part anyway, I am pointing out that there is an element among Social housing tenants, whether in Local Authority or Private housing estates, who are a blight on society and a menace to their fellow citizens and the failure of those in authority to keep them in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Are you reading the thread? There is no attempt to cast aspersions on people just because they are on welfare or indeed, in social housing. For my part anyway, I am pointing out that there is an element among Social housing tenants, whether in Local Authority or Private housing estates, who are a blight on society and a menace to their fellow citizens and the failure of those in authority to keep them in check.

Do you read the post where it was written the some individuals in local authority houses are paying 25 euros a week , his proof is "because he knows they are " , that's not just casting aspersions, it telling lies about social welfare tenants.

Do you read the post where it was written the some individuals in local authority houses are paying 25 euros a week , his proof is "because he knows they are " , that's not just casting aspersions, it telling lies about social welfare tenants.

That's the great thing about a conversation. You can refute the claim by providing solid information that shows that it's untrue...

I don't know what that poster knows. I know that Local Authority tenants usually pay Differential Rent based on income but I don't know what arrangements are made for any individual.
    Either way, unless he was suggesting that the individual was committing some illegal act to obtain an advantage then no, I wouldn't consider it casting aspersions and certainly not casting aspersions on all social tenants.

• Advertisement

I know people paying €25 per week in social housing.

(that said.. it might actually be me you were referring to, as I think I did write that on boards before).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There is a big point that is being missed and its to do with public services in general as well, how come social housing managed by a housing agency is better managed, they maintain properties better, deal with complaints quicker versus what the councils do? the tenants are the same in both.

A cursory look at your contributions to this thread reveals you swung by and basically said private owners = good neighbours, social tenants = think people owe them a living - bad neighbours. There was no 'element' qualification at all. Just tired angryman slop. Weasel walking back of that saying 'some people' only commenced when you rightly got pushback.

You're backpedaling and trying to call posters woke now. Of course you were casting aspersions, have the spine to own what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Our neighbours are social tenants and they are absolutely fantastic. Man of the house is a painter by trade and works his arse off never trouble from any of them and they go out of their way to help out if needed.

A cursory look at your contributions to this thread reveals you swung by and basically said private owners = good neighbours, social tenants = think people owe them a living - bad neighbours. There was no 'element' qualification at all. Just tired angryman slop. Weasel walking back of that saying 'some people' only commenced when you rightly got pushback.

You're backpedaling and trying to call posters woke now. Of course you were casting aspersions, have the spine to own what you posted.

I have said on several occasions that it was an element within social tenants and I stand by that, if you choose not to see it then I can't help that. Just keep pontificating your bleeding heart agenda.

• Advertisement

I have said on several occasions that it was an element within social tenants and I stand by that, if you choose not to see it then I can't help that. Just keep pontificating your bleeding heart agenda.

Your maiden contribution to this thread was as I described. Angryman slop and aspersions - then backpedaling to 'element' when you were outboxed

Even listen to your language: 'bleeding heart agenda'. You're a cartoon character Marhay.

Your maiden contribution to this thread was as I described. Angryman slop and aspersions - then backpedaling to 'element' when you were outboxed

Even listen to your language: 'bleeding heart agenda'. You're a cartoon character Marhay.

Being considered a joke figure by you is not the insult you might like it to be.

Being considered a joke figure by you is not the insult you might like it to be.

I felt you crumble as you typed that limp reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

listermint wrote: »
    Grew up in social housing.

Am I a bad person?

Must be my degree and my wife's degree and our top rate tax jobs that make us bad.

Oh she grew up in social housing too. We own our own place now as do our parents. It was a great step start for everyone's life's.

Why do you hate people? Are you better than us ? Go on answer it be honest.

In fairness, I grew up in a council house, and I can agree with the OP, I wouldn't buy beside them, yeah you might get 1/10 decent people living in a council house, but I know first hand most of those whom live in them now a days are not the best of neighbors

I felt you crumble as you typed that limp reply.

Nah, that was just me pi**ing myself laughing at your attempts to intimidate.

gibgodsman wrote: »
    In fairness, I grew up in a council house, and I can agree with the OP, I wouldn't buy beside them, yeah you might get 1/10 decent people living in a council house, but I know first hand most of those whom live in them now a days are not the best of neighbors

As the Scottish socialist John McLean once said "rise with your class, not out if it."

Sad indeed that you wouldn't live beside people who were the same as you as the child. I wonder what you would make of people who would have said the same of your family a few short decades ago.

I call this the Bill Cullen effect.

Nah, that was just me pi**ing myself laughing at your attempts to intimidate.

You're pretty soft indeed if you think I was even seeking to intimidate. You were making a mockery of yourself whether you realised it or not. You post stuff that would have people aiming for your knees if you blurted them in real life, then turn into a delicate flower when you get pushback on an online forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

I don't get why your posts seem to be so angry tbh. It's just a discussion forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Imo, people should just take care of their home & not cause problems for neighbours & that applies to everyone no matter how they pay for their home. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of folks who have direct experience of welfare tenants who do neither. They may be a minority but if someone is about to pay hundreds of thousands to house their family, it's reasonable to ask questions & get advice/opinions about possible problems.

Also most welfare tenants do pay very little in comparison to those with mortgages or private renters & there is no denying that.

I personally know of a single mother with 4 kids who paid between €25 & €36 a week for a 3 bed house in a private development in dublin. After years on subsidized rent the council provided that family with a new build 4 bed house. Neighbours who bought with a mortgage paid €450k for the same houses. That woman never had a job since leaving school at 16, her kids are growing up without 2 different fathers, she has medical cards & other financial supports that working families don't have. No contribution to the pot but draws on it constantly.

It's stories such as these that gets people's backs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

As the Scottish socialist John McLean once said "rise with your class, not out if it."

Sad indeed that you wouldn't live beside people who were the same as you as the child. I wonder what you would make of people who would have said the same of your family a few short decades ago.

I call this the Bill Cullen effect.

Would completely understand, I am from Blanchardstown originally, have you been there recently? Half the people I grew up with are either drug dealers or still on the dole and not worked a day in their life

Shootings every weekend, crime rates sky high, if you haven't been mugged and beaten you can't even consider yourself from the area.

Would I want to buy a house for 4-500k and raise my children in an area like that? No thanks

mariaalice wrote: »
      There is a big point that is being missed and its to do with public services in general as well, how come social housing managed by a housing agency is better managed, they maintain properties better, deal with complaints quicker versus what the councils do? the tenants are the same in both.

They can cherry pick the tenants, and put them out faster.
      If the Council put someone out, they're back in the door looking for a house.

• Advertisement

I don't get why your posts seem to be so angry tbh. It's just a discussion forum and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Imo, people should just take care of their home & not cause problems for neighbours & that applies to everyone no matter how they pay for their home. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot of folks who have direct experience of welfare tenants who do neither. They may be a minority but if someone is about to pay hundreds of thousands to house their family, it's reasonable to ask questions & get advice/opinions about possible problems.

Also most welfare tenants do pay very little in comparison to those with mortgages or private renters & there is no denying that.The

I personally know of a single mother with 4 kids who paid between €25 & €36 a week for a 3 bed house in a private development in dublin. After years on subsidized rent the council provided that family with a new build 4 bed house. Neighbours who bought with a mortgage paid €450k for the same houses. That woman never had a job since leaving school at 16, her kids are growing up without 2 different fathers, she has medical cards & other financial supports that working families don't have. No contribution to the pot but draws on it constantly.

Attacking single mothers is cheap in my view. I'm not bothered in the least someone struggling getting a helping hand from my taxes, and not least a mother of four doing it on her own. And honestly, I don't give a sh*t if it's four kids by four different fathers - the fact you'd mention that is indicative of a value judgement that has no place in the conversation in my view.

The alternatives is the streets even if she was working full time. She didn't make housing expensive for the mortgage holders next door to generate some sort of misplaced jealousy towards her.

gibgodsman wrote: »
      Would completely understand, I am from Blanchardstown originally, have you been there recently? Half the people I grew up with are either drug dealers or still on the dole and not worked a day in their life

Shootings every weekend, crime rates sky high, if you haven't been mugged and beaten you can't even consider yourself from the area.

Would I want to buy a house for 4-500k and raise my children in an area like that? No thanks

Maybe it's your sepia tinged view of the past, but people of a certain ilk would have had much the same to say of Blanchardstown and it's denizens when you were in short pants. Something to think about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Elessar wrote: »
      Well, would you?

Say you're in the market for a house and you've worked hard and saved for years to finally put down a deposit on a nice new 3 bed in a lovely new estate for you and your family, only to find out that the houses either side of you have been bought by the council for social housing use. What would you do?

Be honest.

Me, I would be looking elsewhere. I had this conversation with some friends recently and they were all in agreement, the risk of bad tenants is just too great. What do boardsies think?

See you noon tomorrow.

You're pretty soft indeed if you think I was even seeking to intimidate. You were making a mockery of yourself whether you realised it or not. You post stuff that would have people aiming for your knees if you blurted them in real life, then turn into a delicate flower when you get pushback on an online forum.

Keep dreaming Patsy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Attacking single mothers is cheap in my view. I'm not bothered in the least someone struggling getting a helping hand from my taxes, and not least a mother of four doing it on her own. And honestly, I don't give a sh*t if it's four kids by four different fathers - the fact you'd mention that is indicative of a value judgement that has no place in the conversation in my view.

The alternatives is the streets even if she was working full time. She didn't make housing expensive for the mortgage holders next door to generate some sort of misplaced jealousy towards her.

It is an example of the amount of money paid which has been denied by posters on this thread. It is also my view that people should cut their cloth so if you can't afford to have multiple children then dont have them or expect fellow citizens to pick up the tab.

I have no issue with people needing help & happily contribute taxes to fund our system. We all benefit from education, healthcare, hopefully pensions in future, but there is something amiss when working families struggle yet it appears that non-working families get a lot more supports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭oceanman

Also most welfare tenants do pay very little in comparison to those with mortgages or private renters & there is no denying that.

you obviously dont understand the concept of renting versus buying.

It is an example of the amount of money paid which has been denied by posters on this thread. It is also my view that people should cut their cloth in all aspects so if one can't afford to have multiple children then dont have them or expect fellow citizens to pick up the tab.

I have no issue with people needing help & happily contribute taxes to fund our system. We all benefit from education, healthcare, hopefully pensions in future but there is something amiss when working families struggle yet it appears that non-working families get a lot more supports.

We all pick up the tab for children in this country. Why should I pay for your kids education? Child benefit? They're not my bloody kids. Look after your own sprog's needs and don't be coming to my door.

*Rhetorical*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭ec18

no but I also wouldn't buy beside a known rental house either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

ec18 wrote: »
      no but I also wouldn't buy beside a known rental house either....

Wouldn’t blame you

• Advertisement

There is an element among all tenants, so why single out social tenants?
      You can get terrible.neighbours that own their.homes too, so why single out social tenants?

Advertisement