Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you buy beside social housing?

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

bubblypop wrote: »
    There is an element among all tenants, so why single out social tenants?
    You can get terrible.neighbours that own their.homes too, so why single out social tenants?

As a social tenant of approximately 12 yrs I can categorically state that that you don’t get the same vandalism, lack of civic pride, party central crap, fighting etc etc in private estates, I originally come from a normal private estate where practically everyone works, neighbourhoods are clean, ppl don’t cause hassle vandalism or annoyance, yes around me are some vv good decent ppl but there are others who are professional freeloaders, walk around in pyjamas, don’t give a **** about who they or their kids abuse /annoy and have entitlement in their lazy bones,
    I’ve an 18 years old about to start college in September,who aims at becoming a teacher who won’t live in a social housing estate if I’ve anything to do with it tbh, I want him to live amongst ppl who care for their neighbourhood and neighbours unfortunately in modern Ireland this is a dead duck in council/ Cluid estates, pride is not there, and certainly the work ethic is lacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Marhay70

There is an element among all tenants, so why single out social tenants?
    You can get terrible.neighbours that own their.homes too, so why single out social tenants?

That's what the thread is about.

As a social tenant of approximately 12 yrs I can categorically state that that you don’t get the same vandalism, lack of civic pride, party central crap, fighting etc etc in private estates, I originally come from a normal private estate where practically everyone works, neighbourhoods are clean, ppl don’t cause hassle vandalism or annoyance, yes around me are some vv good decent ppl but there are others who are professional freeloaders, walk around in pyjamas, don’t give a **** about who they or their kids abuse /annoy and have entitlement in their lazy bones,
    I’ve an 18 years old about to start college in September,who aims at becoming a teacher who won’t live in a social housing estate if I’ve anything to do with it tbh, I want him to live amongst ppl who care for their neighbourhood and neighbours unfortunately in modern Ireland this is a dead duck in council/ Cluid estates, pride is not there, and certainly the work ethic is lacking

You must live in an awful ****hole, most social housing estates are not like that.

I'm the opposite of you, I grew up in social housing and have live the last 27 years in private estates. I would have no issue whatsoever living next door to social housing.
    I have a lot of experience dealing with neighborhood disputes, and I can tell you, the majority of neighbors causing issues with each other are all private owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

you might not have a choice if you want a new build

but either way, yeah I would

You must live in an awful ****hole, most social housing estates are not like that.

I'm the opposite of you, I grew up in social housing and have live the last 27 years in private estates. I would have no issue whatsoever living next door to social housing.
    I have a lot of experience dealing with neighborhood disputes, and I can tell you, the majority of neighbors causing issues with each other are all private owners.
    I don’t tbh but there’s a few loons most grand , 2 evicted one on the way so maybe that’ll change things , and lived in uam var avenue Bishopstownf half my life never a problem with any neighbours, often got a kick up the hole or a clip as a cheeky teen by both parents and neighbours ( 62 now) different times I guess but by feck our elders and betters were respected and we learned to behave,

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Attacking single mothers is cheap in my view

No it's not. Not when you actually know the system and are aware of how it's abused. More kids = more money. Single parent = more money.

Based on reading your posts, Yurt, I genuinely don't think you've ever had to deal with the kind of people being discussed. You seem to be engaged in a topic you know nothing about, and use all kinds of nonsense to try and distract from it.

For example, "attacking single mothers" is your reply to a person who gives a real-world example of the rental figures that are being disputed. Virtue signalling is the term, I believe?

Yet the amount of single mothers on social welfare (I can't recall the stat, but it was posted here before) is massive, if I recall, VS the amount of coupled-up mothers on social welfare or in social housing.

2 evicted

Doing better than most. My area's had the same trouble makers for decades. No one ever gets evicted.

The only person that ever got 'evicted' was because she destroyed the house herself. Council have re-housed her 4 times since, and she wrecks each place. Should be made homeless. No punishment at all in my area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought we'd moved of from blaming single mothers for the country's woes to blaming immigrants.
    Has it gone full circle?
    I can keep up.

Three children from 4 fathers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There's no doubt it could be fine, but it'd be madness to take that kind of a risk, I'd just buy somewhere else. No offence to people in social housing, am sure lots of them are fine, but even they would obviously accept there's a greater risk of anti social behaviour.

No it's not. Not when you actually know the system and are aware of how it's abused. More kids = more money. Single parent = more money.

Based on reading your posts, Yurt, I genuinely don't think you've ever had to deal with the kind of people being discussed. You seem to be engaged in a topic you know nothing about, and use all kinds of nonsense to try and distract from it.

For example, "attacking single mothers" is your reply to a person who gives a real-world example of the rental figures that are being disputed. Virtue signalling is the term, I believe?

Yet the amount of single mothers on social welfare (I can't recall the stat, but it was posted here before) is massive, if I recall, VS the amount of coupled-up mothers on social welfare or in social housing.

No such thing as a single mother as all kids have fathers admittedly absent in their kids upbringing and rearing which is disgusting,single mums who don’t get financial help from dead beat dads need to be made name them and the law needs to put manners on these guys and take money off them and force them to pay for their children, know it may seem a naive suggestion but needs to be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In answer to the OP, I wouldn't. Too big a risk to knowingly take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No such thing as a single mother as all kids have fathers admittedly absent in their kids upbringing and rearing which is disgusting,single mums who don’t get financial help from dead beat dads need to be made name them and the law needs to put manners on these guys and take money off them and force them to pay for their children, know it may seem a naive suggestion but needs to be done

You can’t take the jocks off a bare arse in a lot of cases.

Doing better than most. My area's had the same trouble makers for decades. No one ever gets evicted.

The only person that ever got 'evicted' was because she destroyed the house herself. Council have re-housed her 4 times since, and she wrecks each place. Should be made homeless. No punishment at all in my area.

Cluid housing are different, we’ve a v pro active housing officer for the last 2 years and in that time he’s made serious headway dealing with anti social crap etc,co councils are fairly toothless

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can’t take the jocks off a bare arse in a lot of cases.

Knickers offa bare arse as they say in Derry, but yeah I get your point, but need to take something

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭a2deden

I live currently in a social estate and i would recommend never buying beside one.

The estate i live in is 80% normal people being normal people.

Its the 20% that ruin it. Kids running around causing chaos, breaking stuff, parents flat out not caring when they get told or ready to if someone has the audacity to say anything

My immediate neighbors are great. That doesnt help when **** kids destroy everything nice in the area.

There are four estates in this suburb of Galway, three private and one social. ours is a year old and more damaged that the others that have been here for 20 years. Its actually depressing when one thinks about it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CaptainTeebs

Shootings every weekend?

Are you writing from 20 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭pgj2015

New council estate in my local town, only open around 1 year if that. I noticed a plastic bottle in it once, it looked like it had been driven over a few times, it was still there a month later when I was in again, I mean have people no pride in the brand new lovely looking estate, imagine being too lazy to pick it up, id say it will be a mess in a few years. also a house got petrol bombed in the new estate, funny that that kind of thing never happens in non council estates.

It genuinely shocked me the lack of pride.

The kids took the gate of the playground and broke the swings.....we are the only estate with a playground.

Were not really a petrol bomb kinda village, so thankfully thats unlikely to happen

Ill go back to pride, some in the estate really want it to look nice. Some just dont want there kids bothering them, so send them outside wrecking the place. Its the same group, the ones that work tend to have kids that do nothing, the ones that dont have kids that destroy

Thankfully there’s always someone picking up the slack

as local councils can only do so much

we had a thriving local resident association and had all the kids involved in litter picking etc

worked a few years then wallop

as soon as ppl were asked to contribute e25 a year for lawn maintenance it fell flat- eventually it wasn’t worth the hassle

Dane few ppl left cleaning other ppls shite up whole their kids continued to dump and litter

now 3 of us close neighbours clean our part only

and TBF mostly it’s ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Nobody chooses to live beside local authority tenants - anyone who claims they do is either dishonestly virtue signalling or doesn't have a choice i.e. can't afford to live somewhere else. That's not to say that all LA tenants are bad news but the risk of trouble is much higher than with owner occupied houses. Bad neighbours will have a detrimental affect on your quality of life and finances and someone claims that they'd risk that to earn woke virtue signalling points on the Internet? LMAO. Reminds me of the recent racist plumber thread.

Those with first hand knowledge of social problems will live as far away from sovial housing as possible - Gardai, teachers, LA officials and engineers, solicitors etc. If LA senior management were themselves forced to live beside social housing we might see the LAs being more competent and less apathetic in their role as landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 hustlenbustle

I def wouldnt live beside social housing. Having lived beside a rented social house _ I can only say twas a horrible experience. The house wasnt maintained, kept clean and tidy. They threw food out constantly which drew vermin, the lawn was disgraceful _ plus fag buts everywhere, At one stage a pile of rubbish bags were stacked up at the side of the house. My house is neat and tidy _why should anyone paying a mortgage have to live beside that? They were fit and healthy, why wouldnt they get up off their lazy asses and have pride and clean the place? They were doing nothing all day and had plenty of time. I cut my lawn and weed and keep the place clean _ are social tenants incapable.

Now of course all such tenants are not like this but the odds of a social tenant being troublesome are high.

I'm also writing in agreement of the person who wrote on here that they bought a 400000 house and ended up with a social house is beside him and lawn is left a mess with toys strewn everywhere _i just think that's unfair. That person hasnt contributed to society and is getting everything for nothing . Why work when this is what happens? Has she no pride? NO

It's my belief that the mix the government is pushing of social/ private housing is totally wrong and is unfair to people taking on mortgages for 30 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would happily do so if the system wasn’t so unfit for purpose

unfortunately the whole area is so politicised that local authorities are unable to remove anti social tenants as either media or the various left wing parties will howl with outrage, personal responsibility including not causing mayhem in the area you reside is excused under the narrative of “ disadvantage “ and so the private dwelling residents must suck it up lest be ordered to “ check their privilege “

their is no inherent reason why living beside a council owned house should be a problem but unfortunately the consequences if things go wrong are awful

The more I read this thread the more my mind is being made up to buy a stand alone house surrounded by a high hedge and electric gates.

You arent wrong, since getting the house i got while doing my doctorate ive got a well paid job, ive zero intention of buying here.

Even if it is only 20%, compared to the private estates ive lived in, its actually shocked me the behavior's of the kids and parents here

Sure the parents are too busy smoking weed and watching love island on their huge TVs to bother about looking after the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Having grown up in social housing I will say that when I ask any of my friends if they think social housing is ok to live beside you get different answers.

Those who left pray every day that they dont have to bring their kids up in social housing.

Those that never got to leave says its fine, as we all did too when we lived there.

The problem is that you get used to it and you put up with all the bad things that go with it.

When you get a tatse of what its like not to live in those places you will never ever go back if you can help it.

99% of the people in the places are lovely people and you would be happy to live near them. Then 1% are the absolute scum of the earth and make the lives of the people living around them hell. In some cases causing the destruction of those lives too. And before you know it one family has destryed a whole community or at the very least made life horrible for people in that community. Then what happens is that the people who can move, do. But they are replaced in those houses. Usually these days its more scumbags. The scumbag fraction in a social housing area only ever increases. The estate where I grew up was lovely when we moved into it. Over a few years certain families ensured that it got on the road to where it is now. A horrible, anti-social, dirty dive of a place. but as I said earlier, my friends who still live there think its fine and that you would just get the same issues in private houses living beside owner occupiers. They just dont know any different I guess.

When looking to buy a house, the first thing anybody should be thinking is, am i happy for my children to be raised in this area. Most of us can suck up anything, but if you think about your children then you want life to be as nice as you can possibly make it for them.

id rather live in a nice area with good neighbours and an average house than live in a place with bad neighbours in a mansion of a house.

The worst estate in my town is rough as fcuk, it used to be a lovely estate but its half travellers now and people who are anti social, iv seen the kids cut down tress in the estate and smash windows of an unoccupied house in the estate. when a house comes up for sale in it now, no one wants it so the council buy it and put another traveller family in it. Think about that when you see a house in a nice estate for sale. its not good news sinn fein might be in power in a few years might in my opinion, they would probably kick me out of my big house (because im single) and give it to some anti social family with 7 kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The carrot is for anti social behaviour and the stick is for the people who work to pay for the carrot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This has been the approach for decades so the only logical thing is to do the same thing for the next thirty years ( at the behest of liberals)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I don't think it's a political issue. It's an illogical issue. It makes no sense. It's got a lot more ridiculous now when you consider the cost of housing and the fact that people who provide value and services to our society can't afford to live in our society.

Thats the issue with this estate, lovely houses. its a twin estate to another suburb of Galway which is private. Again, im lucky in that my immediate neighbors on both sides and infront are good neighbors, Its more the riff raff down the street.

I do wonder if they have been tactically placed as its four normal families to one less so in the blocks of five houses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

That's what I did, if I had no other choice I'd emigrate before living near social housing.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As the years passed I gravitated more and more to as far from neighbours as possible. ...After all it is just happenstance who lives next to us.

Now I am five fields away from the next houses in 3 directions and one between me and the ocean in the other. Perfect.

Advertisement