Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIR problem with replacement sim

Options
  • 06-09-2019 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

A few days ago I phoned Eir and explained I lost my phone and needed a sim replacement. I was told the solution was to send one to my address and when it arrived I would need ring up to activate over the phone.

The sim arrived today and when I called up I was told because the sim card was lost and the agent could not ring my number a replacement would not be able to happen over the phone. I would need to go into a store with ID. I explained I had a disability and would be unable to do so for at least several months and the agent responded that there was no alternative soultions.

I find this extremely disapointing, not to mention repulsed that they do not have requirements for the physically disabled or even the elderly customers. I am also baffled as to why the innitial agent did not mention this to me and told me it could be done over the phone.

Clear discrimination.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Clear discrimination.

It’s not discrimination as that’s their policy regardless of whether or not their customers have a disability. You’re not being discriminated against specifically because you have a disability. For security reasons they’re not going to give out a SIM to anyone who calls them requesting one over the phone. They have to be able to verify the customers identity, and the only way they can do that is by the customer producing proof of their identity in one of their stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

It’s not discrimination as that’s their policy regardless of whether or not their customers have a disability. You’re not being discriminated against specifically because you have a disability. For security reasons they’re not going to give out a SIM to anyone who calls them requesting one over the phone. They have to be able to verify the customers identity, and the only way they can do that is by the customer producing proof of their identity in one of their stores.

Sorry. Let me be more specific. Clear Indirect Discrimination

Be as specific as you need to. EIR are not being discriminatory against people with disabilities either directly or indirectly. They are not responsible for your personal circumstances either.

Be as specific as you need to. EIR are not being discriminatory against people with disabilities either directly or indirectly. They are not responsible for your personal circumstances either.

As a fellow man with a disability Jack, I don't understand why you are trying to say this isn't discrimination.

The law which says you mustn’t be discriminated against is called the Equality Act 2010. Discrimination which is against the Equality Act is unlawful. This means you can take action in the civil courts.

Disability discrimination can either be direct or indirect.

Here is an example of indirect discrimination:

A local authority produces an information leaflet about its services for local people. It does not produce an easy-to-read version of the leaflet in order to save money. This would make it more difficult for someone with a learning disability to access the services and could amount to indirect discrimination.

ndirect discrimination can sometimes be lawful. The Equality Actsays it’s not indirect discrimination if the person applying the practice, policy or rule, can show there’s a good enough reason for it.

After contacting them innitially and asking what my options are.
    They verified who I was and sent a sim to my address
    I following the information I was given.
    Then being told, actually thats not the case and you must come into a store.
    Again I verified all my details that only I would know.
    Explained I had a disability.
    Still no other alternative methods were suggested.

If they can only speak to the account holder (me) because I have given them my details that only I know because of data protection, this means they are sure they are speaking to the account holder.

So I would most certainly argue they can not show good enough reason for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

the fact you can't leave the house is an unusual situation and maybe best you don't have the phone in your name to avoid these situations?

not discrimination imo

is a restaurant discriminating against you if they don't deliver?

• Advertisement

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    the fact you can't leave the house is an unusual situation and maybe best you don't have the phone in your name to avoid these situations?

not discrimination imo

is a restaurant discriminating against you if they don't deliver?

You think it's easy as disabled person to travel in rural Ireland? There are thousands of people all over the country who cannot leave their houses for a multidude of reasons. I wouldn't call it unusual.

No that reatarant would not be as they don't deliver.
    Eir on the otherhand are providing a service to a customer of 15 years.

Complete different scenarions but I appreciathe your attempted analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Not discrimination, but it is downright poor customer service from Eir. Badger them about your issue. And have a look around Boards to get an idea of the poor reputation Eir have here.

the fact you can't travel is the reason you should probably have it in someone else's name no?

eir maybe can look @ improving their policies but it's not discrimination.

what happens if you need something from the bank that requires you to go there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Did you look hard enough to find your phone. Probably in the house somewhere since you don't go out.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Did you look hard enough to find your phone. Probably in the house somewhere since you don't go out.

Did you ever look at your life and think "why have I so much time in the day to be a smart ass to strangers online"

You're better than this pal, you know it!

• Advertisement

As a fellow man with a disability Jack, I don't understand why you are trying to say this isn't discrimination.

The law which says you mustn’t be discriminated against is called the Equality Act 2010. Discrimination which is against the Equality Act is unlawful. This means you can take action in the civil courts.

Respectfully Ansley Lively Scholarship, I don’t see myself the same way you do. I could get into it but I won’t as we’re not talking about my circumstances here but your assertion of a legal basis for your claim that EIR are discriminating against people with disabilities. It’s precisely because I am aware of the legislation that I am saying that EIR’s policies do not constitute discrimination, either directly or indirectly.

It’s inconvenient for some people regardless of whether or not they have a disability, but as I said EIR cannot be held responsible for their customers personal circumstances. B_ecke_r’s suggestion is a good one and I would suggest is the most reasonable course of action under the circumstances, as attempting to mount a legal challenge which would fail would cost you a considerable amount of time, effort and money.

B_ecke_r’s suggestion is exactly what I did for my mother in law, not because she’s elderly or anything else, but simply because it was the most convenient way to enable her to keep in touch with family and friends without all the inconvenience of going through the process herself.

It might be no harm of course to reach out to EIR on social media with the suggestion that they should consider people in your circumstances and ask that they might change their policies to accommodate you, but because they are under no legal obligation to do so, I wouldn’t be claiming discrimination as the basis of your suggestion, but rather as a suggestion by way of improving their services to all their customers, regardless of whether their customers have a disability or are simply in some way inconvenienced by their processes.

Respectfully androl, I don’t see myself the same way you do. I could get into it but I won’t as we’re not talking about my circumstances here but your assertion of a legal basis for your claim that EIR are discriminating against people with disabilities. It’s precisely because I am aware of the legislation that I am saying that EIR’s policies do not constitute discrimination, either directly or indirectly.

You're actually wrong mate and you should probably look into indirect discrimination a little more.

After a little digging around on the web and a very informative phone call, I redialled Eir and was reconnected instantly.

You're actually wrong mate and you should probably look into indirect discrimination a little more.

After a little digging around on the web and a very informative phone call, I redialled Eir and was reconnected instantly.

I’m not wrong, but I am happy to see top notch customer service from EIR.

I’d suggest as a courtesy changing the thread title to reflect the positive outcome rather than an leaving it as an attempt to damage a company’s reputation.

I’m not wrong, but I am happy to see top notch customer service from EIR.

I’d suggest as a courtesy changing the thread title to reflect the positive outcome rather than an leaving it as an attempt to damage a company’s reputation.

Give me half of what they're paying you Jack and I'll edit the title.

to be fair you likely didn't receive top class customer service - just soemone who didn't know the policy - makes the initial agent look bad for following the rules

Give me half of what they're paying you Jack and I'll edit the title.

:D

I wish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

androl you have now insinuated that Jack is a paid shill. - Not Right. Jack was being very forthright in his analysis of the situation, in this regard you are blinkered in your responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Title edited to reflect situation.

As the sim has been reconnected, I don't see any value in the thread being left open for it to go around in circles.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement