Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Shop

• 06-09-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Where's the best place in Limerick or surrounding areas to pick up a bike? For road usage, I'll be a first time buyer as an adult so I haven't a clue really where to start, so brands/models and what to look out for/avoid would be hugely appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Where's the best place in Limerick or surrounding areas to pick up a bike? For road usage, I'll be a first time buyer as an adult so I haven't a clue really where to start, so brands/models and what to look out for/avoid would be hugely appreciated.

The bike shop on O'Connell avenue.
    Great service and very knowledgeable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

banie01 wrote: »
    The bike shop on O'Connell avenue.
    Great service and very knowledgeable IMO.

His also a real salesman, have had both positive and negative experience with him over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    His also a real salesman, have had both positive and negative experience with him over the years.
    That's what I'm hoping to avoid, as a complete novice I don't want to be sold up a river on some bad stock they can't shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Head out to The Hub in Coonagh so! Can you avail of the bike to work scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would you think of picking up a second hand bike to see how you like it first? There's loads of good value to be had at the entry to mid level in the second hand market.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Head out to The Hub in Coonagh so! Can you avail of the bike to work scheme?
    I can indeed, that's part of why I want to get one and avail of the scheme while I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I can indeed, that's part of why I want to get one and avail of the scheme while I can.

You wont go wrong out in the Hub so, thats where I got mine and very happy with it although I should have gotten an e-bike! I'd recommend getting one!

I'm getting the bike for fitness purposes so an electric bike would defeat the purpose :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

In the same boat at the moment and went out raw cycles in Delta was very impressed tbh. As much as I like the bike shop it's always manic in there and have had service issues previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

The Hub is the place to go for road bikes. The staff really know their stuff and their after sales service is top notch. Raw are good too, but cater more to the off-road market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

I'm pretty reluctant to give an honest & complete opinion on the bike shop on O'Connell Avenue for fear that I'd get sued. It's a bit of a time warp setting foot in that shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

TychoCaine wrote: »
    I'm pretty reluctant to give an honest & complete opinion on the bike shop on O'Connell Avenue for fear that I'd get sued. It's a bit of a time warp setting foot in that shop...

Same as myself that what I left it at both positive and negative experience. Maybe not sued but post deleted for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Have used the bike shop before and found them good, but can be very busy so allow a day or 2 on top of when he says it will be ready, you also have Raw cycles out in Delta, which are supposed to be very good to deal with, as well as the Hub which has been previously mentioned.

Popped into Raw Cycles at lunch and they were really really helpful, couldn't answer enough of my questions.

Still don't know whether to go for a road bike though or something a bit more neutral in case I want a bit more versatility :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

If you want to use it for fitness, I'd recommend picking up a road bike second hand until you know for sure how much cycling you intend doing. You can use a bike to work scheme then if you want to upgrade and get a decent spec bike. Personally I'd recommend Raw or The Bike Shop - find the Hub too interested in new, high end, sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Got a bike recently through the cycle to work scheme. Visited both The Bike Shop and RAW Cycles, and found the guys at RAW much better to deal with. As another poster said, The Bike Shop is very busy (at least it was on the occasions I was there) and the staff are not as attentive as a result. The guys at RAW were a lot better in this regard, and had plenty of time to answer my various questions, and show me different bikes, etc. Also RAW took my old bike as a trade-in, and offset it against the bike I was buying. The Bike Shop wouldn't do that.

Got a bike recently through the cycle to work scheme. Visited both The Bike Shop and RAW Cycles, and found the guys at RAW much better to deal with. As another poster said, The Bike Shop is very busy (at least it was on the occasions I was there) and the staff are not as attentive as a result. The guys at RAW were a lot better in this regard, and had plenty of time to answer my various questions, and show me different bikes, etc. Also RAW took my old bike as a trade-in, and offset it against the bike I was buying. The Bike Shop wouldn't do that.
    What bike did you go for, out of a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Not very far from Limerick is Planet Tri out in Killaloe. Have a look and see what they have in stock too for comparison. They often have deals on models from previous year and defo accommodate the bike to work scheme. I think they open late on either Thur or Fri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

Halfords , near B & Q, have lots of bikes upstairs , worth a look . Suggest getting an entry level bike , so you wont have too much invested & see how it goes.

What bike did you go for, out of a matter of interest?
    Got a Giant Contend SL1. Wouldn't be an expert on bikes, but it seems to be a fairly decent entry-level road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

airnwater wrote: »
    Halfords , near B & Q, have lots of bikes upstairs , worth a look . Suggest getting an entry level bike , so you wont have too much invested & see how it goes.
    Wouldn't even consider them tbh few dealings I've had have been appalling and post sales support rubbish.

sioda wrote: »
    Wouldn't even consider them tbh few dealings I've had have been appalling and post sales support rubbish.
    +1 on this. Halfords are a joke in general, not just for bikes

Got a Giant Contend SL1. Wouldn't be an expert on bikes, but it seems to be a fairly decent entry-level road bike.
    They showed me this one actually and I was impressed, happy so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

+1 on this. Halfords are a joke in general, not just for bikes

Dunno , got a mountain bike 4/5 years back , around 120e with axa discount & trashed it quite a bit , easily got my moneys worth.
    Couple years ago got a Carrera 12 speed road/racer , alum frame , around 220e, have used it quite a lot , no problems.

No harm in visiting all the shops with lots of questions & becoming informed anyway :) Have heard of quite a few people buying expensive bikes & rarely using them too !

Advertisement