Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College savings

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I see this old thread has been resurrected.

Can someone give me an idea of how much college fees are? I have three children - 11, 8 and 6, and have not separated out a pot for college fees yet.

We live in Dublin, well serviced by public transport, so I would expect my children to live at home. I would also expect them to have part time jobs to fund nights out, clothes, lunches, ets.

So how much per year am I actually looking at? Is the registration fee still a thing? I tried looking on UCD's website, but all they did was list the "fee" for EU students (between €5k and €8k depending on the course) and then a separate tab stated that "free fees" could be applied for if you were an EU citizen. Is the €5k-€8k the registration fee or the tuition fee? It's not exactly clear.

I'm not sure paying off the mortgage early is an option for us. We only got a mortgage at the ages of 41, and the mortgage term is until we are 70. First child may hit university when we are 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We have one and have been luck enough that we've been able to put the child support away. The plan is to keep saving that for as long as we can to help fund any future education. She'll definitely have to work part time when she gets older as it's not going to be a case of paying everything off. Our aim is to teach her good values, benefits of hard work etc. She'll need to contribute but the fund will help alleviate some of the stress.

That said of course, if she doesn't want to go to college (hopefully not) at least there'll be a source of funds we can draw on for whatever it might be needed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

JDD My daughter finished her degree course in DCU last year. We live in Dublin so the only expenses were €3200 per annum registration fee, the cost of a leap card and a laptop. Most of the study materials she sourced in the library.

The figures being thrown around on this thread is madness! Yes if you live in rural Ireland the costs can rocket with accommodation but living in Dublin is a huge advantage. Basically if you can afford the €3200 registration fees everything else will fall into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Grand, I can handle that. It'll be half the price of the secondary school were looking at sending her too.

No need to set up a US style college fund after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I had three in college at the one time 11 or 12 years ago. It was a killer. We got a few quid off the registration fees by way of a grant, but my God the hoops we had to go through to get it. The bus fares were horrendous too. Luckily we live in Dublin and they got jobs off and on but the college hours limited how much work they could do.

Child number four started college last year - we paid 3k registration fee, but she hated it and dropped out. It's over 6k to begin a new course this year but in fairness she said she'd pay half. I haven't given her any money for anything for ages so I think that's fair.

If you can save a bit when they're young it will make a dent in the expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

The figures here would be for people who have no choice but to live in Dublin. To send my 2 to Dublin, or anywhere else for that matter, we are looking at €80000 in accommodation costs.(in today's market) If they did go to UCD they may be able to commute but for any where else there is no way. If all we had to pay was €3200 we'd be on the pigs back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I fully agree that all kids should work from the time they are legally able. It's good for kids to learn how to manage money from an early age, and it's great for them to be able to pay for things themselves. I don't understand the shift in recent years of parents paying for absolutely everything for their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It’s huge if they can live at home while attending third level.

We have our first hitting college age in a few years time and our second two years after, there is no third level within commuting distance. While I want them to go on and get a qualification and the career they want I am honestly dreading the cost of it.

Advertisement