Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery hedge trimmer

Options
  • 06-09-2019 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I’m considering getting a battery hedge trimmer. I already have a petrol multi tool with a trimmer attachment but it is quite cumbersome - particularly for smaller jobs.
    I used a Viking electric trimmer yesterday and thought it was very good - lightweight and got the job done. The mains cable would be a problem for me though so not really an option.
    Are battery trimmers in general any good? If so any recommendations welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you're using one correctly (ie not like a brush cutter!) they are fine, I used to be a sceptic but being free of a cable is quite liberating :) Lidl have one this week for 70 euro I think. Stihl do them for rather more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

I have this Makita one for 2 and a half years now so it's done 3 seasons of hard work now. Out of stock at minute but cheapest I can see it for. I got mine on amazon when it was just £65. Already had a few Lxt battery so took a chance on it. Can only cut up to 15mm so won't do heavy overgrown hedges. It's so much handier, lighter and quicker to use than a petrol you will use it lot more often though.

Will probably upgrade to the dearer brushless version soon that will cut up to 23.5mm and runs at higher speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 deccydohc

All Viking products have been rebranded to STIHL (as they are the same company).

The great thing is if you are looking at going cordless, you are better of investing. You can buy your cheap products from Lidl/Aldi, but you know they are not going to last, no after service etc.

If you pick a cordless range, such as Stihl's cordless range - the majority of their range allows you to use the same battery in different products. If you purchase a good battery and charger with your first machine, and are looking at getting another garden tool, you can buy the body only of the machine, which is much cheaper than the petrol equivalent.

Cordless technology is rapidly growing, and will overtake petrol in years to come. Over the last two/three years there has been a huge change in the battery technology which provides the power and duration!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I have ryobi one plus pole one and find it good. Pole saw also good in same range. Need one of the bigger batteries is only thing as it runs out of power pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Locally I have the option of an Ego 60cm (56V) or oleo mac 45cm (40V I think) Similar price.
    The ego looks like a mighty piece of kit but was prob aiming for something smaller than 60cm. Was advised that Ego is superior to Stihl at the price range (by a dealer that does both).
    I must see what the local Husqvarna dealer has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭A Law

deccydohc wrote: »
    All Viking products have been rebranded to STIHL (as they are the same company).

The great thing is if you are looking at going cordless, you are better of investing. You can buy your cheap products from Lidl/Aldi, but you know they are not going to last, no after service etc.

If you pick a cordless range, such as Stihl's cordless range - the majority of their range allows you to use the same battery in different products. If you purchase a good battery and charger with your first machine, and are looking at getting another garden tool, you can buy the body only of the machine, which is much cheaper than the petrol equivalent.

Cordless technology is rapidly growing, and will overtake petrol in years to come. Over the last two/three years there has been a huge change in the battery technology which provides the power and duration!

My auld lad has a Stihl hla 65. Some job to be fair. Close on 600€ but it much lighter than the one he had before. Can buy different batteries to last longer. His last an hour which is plenty.

Advertisement