Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter is coming for RTE - Dee Forbes hints at a bleak future.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,707 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dee would have an heart attack about that, someones got to pay her wage and that won't cut it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

fritzelly wrote: »
    RTE are pretty much no different than VM except VM don't force a tax on us for it.
    Lots of imported shows, lots of repeated shows (actually I don't think VM show repeats as much as RTE), lots of "keep it in the family" reality shows

RTE is not fit for purpose as a national broadcaster. Bar the odd program which probably represents a tiny fraction of their spending budget they do nothing that cannot be consumed elsewhere.
    Their target audience is 60+ years old and that cohort of viewers is diminishing every year.

A portion of the TV licence should be given to VM with the remit of national programming - you would probably get far higher quality shows for a fraction of what RTE would spend

RTE have lost the run of themselves and being publicly reprimanded for not buying a licence (legitimately) by someone on over 6k a week is a bit reprehensible.

I really hope this comes to a head as RTE have had an uncontested run for far too many years

No it shouldn't. Its a private company.

TV3 as it was previously known cost the taxpayer a shít load of money despite being owned at the time by a private investment company. They had 81 million in loans written off, and the same private investment company even bought other loans of 60 million back at a considerable discount from IBRC.

And by the way, VM already have public service like national programming responsibilities, although you could be forgiven for believing they don't given the quality of their programming . Its part of the licence to broadcast in the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

NIMAN wrote: »
    .. and also the ESB do a decent enough job.
    But they do have very high wages.

Unlike the electricity network RTE are non-essential. RTE can be switched off and shut down right now and aside from the employees and the vested interests such as the NUJ nobody will much care.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Just to add
    Saorview - what a waste of potential, controlled by RTE!
    Yeah great we have RTE in HD, VM in crap-o-vision
    Going on years and all the promises of next gen digitial TV but we still just have the same old stuff
    Should have been fully taken over as a state enterprise once it was realised it was never gonna be anything other than a bandwagon for RTE
    Could have arranged licensing for many other stations to go on it but nooooo Rte may lose more advertising (as if that isn't already happening)

What is the point of a state of the art digital system when you only have a few channels using it?
    Another example of RTE controlling media in Ireland.

RTE asked to have stations other than +1's on Saorview and were refused by the Government .

Comeg won't force minimum technical requirements on VM such as HD even though VM pay less for 3 channels than they used to for 1 channel on Analogue. They allowed TV3 to ignore transmission coverage limits pre Saorview

Comreg control the fees charged for Saorview not RTE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭dubrov

Do you have a source for that?

My understanding was that the pricing model that was proposed by RTE and approved by ComReg charges based on bandwidth.

All the stations don't want to double their Saorview costs by adding plus ones as there is only a marginal revenue gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/love-islands-greg-oshea-addresses-amber-split-rumours-and-lands-himself-2fm-breakfast-show-gig-38474369.html

Where do you even start with this one? McDermott filming in Fiji (no doubt at our expense) is a good place, followed by the “major star potential” of a Love Islsnd “Star”, then Garrihy’s constant promotion by RTÉ despite any evidence of talent - oh but she has 20,000 pinterestasnapgram followers.:rolleyes:

dubrov wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that? My understanding was that the pricing model that was proposed by RTE and approved by ComReg charges based on bandwidth.

Yes , it charges on bandwidth but it charges on that basis based on instructions from Comreg Eg Comreg said we won't do calculations ,told RTE to work out details on price .said we'll check your Maths to make sure you're not giving yourselves an advantage and then put that into action
    All the stations don't want to double their Saorview costs by adding plus ones as there is only a marginal revenue gain.

Due to the perverse way bandwidth charging works it wouldn't double charges necessarily to even go HD

Though I was actually talking about RTE+1 etc

The TV group that opposed another channel being allowed on Saorview was TV3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭dubrov

SPDUB wrote:
    The TV group that opposed another channel being allowed on Saorview was TV3

Yes but do you have a source for what exactly Rte were requesting and why they were blocked?

It's not like RTE to usually offer more services to consumers unless there is a Euro in it for them or they damage rivals

Yes but do you have a source for what exactly Rte were requesting and why they were blocked?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71827812&postcount=9

More channels can be provided on the DTT service than on analogue. In this context, RTɒs proposed new TV channels for the DTT service, comprising RTNews Now (a 24 hour news channel), RTTwo HD Select (a high definition version of RTE Two), RTPlus (a time shifted version of peak time RTE One), RTr (a daytime children’s channel), and RTAertel Digital (a digital version of the current teletext service). A full consultation on the public value of these channels was launched in late 2010 and the BAI conducted a sectoral impact assessment of the channels. The Minister’s decision was announced at end-February 2011.

RTE plus would have been RTE1 and 2 and archive programmes .
    News now more like News 24/Sky News

As to why they were turned down exactly ? Ask the Minister .
    It's not like RTE to usually offer more services to consumers unless there is a Euro in it for them or they damage rivals

That's true of any organisation . The BBC didn't launch News 24 out of the goodness of their hearts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Id love to see a comprehensive audit on what those 1000 empoyees do, and what contractors are responsible for.
    I honestly unplugged the sky box about 2 years ago and i havent switched on saorview box in maybe 18 months, sorry but RTE is utter ****e, whats not a carbon copy of a UK show is generally so badly produced that people only tune in out of habit.
    Miserable talkshows ramming mediocre guests and wannabes down your throat for a few hours every weekend.
    Tried using the player to watch matches and a few things and no need to talk about the quality of that.
    Ive no idea how this new liscense being talked about will work but i have no interest in throwing more money at RTE unless their are big changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I have no issue with there being orchestras or that they play House covers with Jenny Greene. I don't see why they should be RTE's responsibility though.

It's not 1979 any more so it's unclear why 2FM is needed. It was established because the yoof were tuning into pirate stations for their music. 40 years later, all 2FM is is a lucrative gravy train for anyone lucky enough to have a job there. It should be scrapped or the brand name sold on.

When you see the salaries of certain RTE employees, it's hard not to question why they are being paid so much. Let them take their chances out in the open market and command similar wages.

Maybe RTE stretching itself too far and should only have one TV station again. There is a lot of filler on RTE 1 and 2. Is it time to pare the stations back to one and have it concentrate on producing better quality TV?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

STB. wrote: »
    No it shouldn't. Its a private company.

TV3 as it was previously known cost the taxpayer a shít load of money despite being owned at the time by a private investment company. They had 81 million in loans written off, and the same private investment company even bought other loans of 60 million back at a considerable discount from IBRC.

Do you have a source for the above? I'm not entirely sure it's correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I can assure you just going by the culture in RTE that there are old employees still on the payroll, family members listed as PAs and other little numbers created.

We are told that these so called stars in RTE are being head hunted by foreign stations. Unfortunately the only people that can't see that no one wants these below average broadcasters and hosts are the top brass in Montrose

. There is a lot of filler on RTE 1 and 2. Is it time to pare the stations back to one and have it concentrate on producing better quality TV?

The only identity rte2 had was when it was called Network 2 for a few years.

Why couldn't rte 1 be put on 24 hours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

RTE don't have 1000 employees - they have closer to 1800 - 200 or so are contractors

They don't separate out salaries or cost them separately according to department in their annual report - which is a pity

300 are employed just in news and current affairs

The costs in RTE are not related to a few overpaid presenters - its the whole institution being grossly overpaid for years

Denmark is binning its license fee in the next 4 year and moving to a funding model - they are also slashing the national broadcasters budget by 20%

Time we did the same - its no longer fit for purpose

Now them chickens are coming home to roost.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The scheduling on the channels is shocking, showing repeats of home grown thrash ahead of stuff that has never been shown on Irish tv. Their income is only going to drop, people have changed their viewing habits, their €100million oil strike money for selling lands in the studio will be blown sideways. They should sell the rest of the place and move it out to rural Longford and put their manning levels to sustainable numbers.

That 100 million was spent before they sold the land, check their financials for the past few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Reeling in the years on infinite repeat interspersed with brief segments hosted by Mary Kennedy and Marty Morrissey is the future of Irish public broadcasting.

🙈🙉🙊

Do you have a source for the above? I'm not entirely sure it's correct.
    Yes my memory

But since you asked.

The 81 million loan that was written off and the other loans they bought back from themselves.

Yes my memory

But since you asked.

The 81 million loan that was written off and the other loans they bought back from themselves.

Its a stretch saying the tax payer bailed then out...the government screwed the tax payer its more accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

KB22 wrote: »
    I think the media people mentioned, are well able to answer for themselves .I doubt they would as so many of them are very "sensitive" regarding salary. Very gracious of the moderator :- " I'll allow the thread to continue" etc. Reminiscent of MUSSOLINI, ADOLF,MUGABE,TRUMP,BORIS ? Ah well back of the class for me again.

Not bad, only 28 posts and Goodwin's Law has finally kicked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Its a stretch saying the tax payer bailed then out...the government screwed the tax payer its more accurate

And more shocking is if Lehman Brothers never happened the money pump would have went on for another number of years in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fibromyalgia

Why aren't RTE being challenged about the 5 million per annum that goes to 2fm ? 2fm have 11 djs on the roster at weekends while all other youth music stations have just 4 or 5 djs on the weekend roaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fibromyalgia

Another one is the cosy arrangement where djs deemed too old for 2fm have been put out to pastor on RTE gold digital, a channel wth no income or measured listenership. What is Larry Gogan being paid for his golden hour on RTE gold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any mention of the RTE financial review on the Sunday morning gabfests?

What. How is it a stretch ?

IT wrote:
    Finally it emerged yesterday the sale of corporate debt relating to TV3 to private equity firm Doughty Hanson saw a so-called ‘B Note’ debt of €81 million written off in its entirety. This €81 million loan had been parked by Anglo Irish Bank in 2009 after a complex restructuring agreed with TV3. Doughty Hanson bought TV’s remaining debt of circa €60 million at a discount. TV3 declined to comment.

Just Who did you think ended up paying the debt ?
    Why aren't RTE being challenged about the 5 million per annum that goes to 2fm ? 2fm have 11 djs on the roster at weekends while all other youth music stations have just 4 or 5 djs on the weekend roaster.

National radio stations aren't youth stations. And the youth stations don't have that amount either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That money came out of everyone's pockets so its not a stretch at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

...but BBC and ITV will poach all the talent if RTE don't pay them well

Lol thats funny. Irish talent on rte is crazy bad. Why not open it up to communications graduates that are been churned out year in year out. No new talent coming through RTE. Tubs isnt a tv presenter .. should stick to the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭bigroad

I see Ray says he will take a pay cut,is this a move to save his own skin.
    I would say the rest of the Rte stars may not like this move as it puts them under pressure.
    Better a reduced wage than no wage at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The man who said he'd emigrate if Enda Kenny ever became Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

bigroad wrote: »
    I see Ray says he will take a pay cut,is this a move to save his own skin.
    I would say the rest of the Rte stars may not like this move as it puts them under pressure.
    Better a reduced wage than no wage at all.

That could be a 1 euro cut .

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

Why no campaign started to not pay licence fee among public, if already attempted I havent heard of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A public service broadcaster that produces little of value really, together with ad nauseum repeats of pure c rap.

And an organisation that is funded by the license holders AND we have to sit through interminable ads.

A Player that will not allow a viewer to pause, and more interminable ads.

I don't watch TV anymore, and am all the better for it. Get my news elsewhere, and go down the YouTube rabbit hole far too often though.

I like the idea of moving operations to outside the M50 somewhere. The BBC went to Manchester I think.

It is an empire that needs to fall, and be rebuilt with a bit of good management strategy and those who are able to see future trends.

But I agree with a pp, the license fee will just be increased.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Yes my memory

But since you asked.

Completely passed me by somehow.

A bit embarrassing considering I'm working in this area! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Another way they could save a few quid.

What's this with news at six for an hour every evening!?

Two news readers plus a sports presenter, absolute joke and waste of our money .

None of the UK stations even have hour long news bulletins, even with all the brexit stuff going on! (apart from Sky news I guess which is just a news channel.

And in August with all this brexit kicking off they reduce the news to half an hour
    and show that reeling in the years stuff yet again.

Joke shop, and as for the licence, go collect the money off all the non paying parasites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Widescreen wrote: »

Two news readers plus a sports presenter, absolute joke and waste of our money .

None of the UK stations even have hour long news bulletins, even with all the brexit stuff going on! (apart from Sky news I guess which is just a news channel.

And in August with all this brexit kicking off they reduce the news to half an hour

Joke shop, and as for the licence, go collect the money off all the non paying parasites!

Joke shop with a public broadcaster having a decent news service? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,819 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Widescreen wrote: »

So you complain about the news being an hour long and then later complain about the half hour summer bulletins being too short. Reads like you are complaining just for the sake of complaining.

BBC and ITV do actually have an hour if you include the local news bulletin. RTÉ's hour long news also has regional items as well as national and international.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Rte is not fit for purpose. One prime example is the amount of different correspondents on the news. There is loads. They have for example a trade union one who only does trade union stories. There is simply no need for the amount they have to cover different news stories. Rte needs a massive down sizing. Simply its a big gravy that needs to be stoped at the station and a load of carriages taken off. Or the whole train left in the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

MOD: Posts of this nature are not welcome here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

vriesmays straight 48 hour ban. That type of sexist posting isn’t welcome on this forum.

Indeed, I think it’s time we called a halt to this thread. I had hopes we might have a reasonable discussion, but for every reasoned post there’s an unrelated rant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement