Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAVE CHAPPELLE: Critics versus Audience review

Options
  • 06-09-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Rotten Tomatoes has the critics review of his latest special at a 30% rating, whereas the audience rating is 99%.

That is a serious disconnect between what SJW journalists think and what regular people actually think.

Is it that people with extremely liberal views get a massive platform to shout from, meanwhile most people can see the BS for what it is?

It's also not just the Rotten Tomatoes critic ratings, a simple Google of Dave Chappelle Sticks and Stones will bring up a boat load of commentary against him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Manipulable data. I don’t know why people put stock in review aggregates like rotten tomatoes, especially in recent years where it’s been subject to ‘bombing campaigns’ via social media. Captain Marvel springs to mind. Besides there are plenty of examples where critics panned something that went on to be a cult classic. I wouldn’t rate Sticks and Stones a 9/10 myself, it was good, I laughed, but it wasn’t a watershed for Chappelle or for standup or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Rotten Tomatoes has the critics review of his latest special at a 30% rating, whereas the audience rating is 99%.

That is a serious disconnect between what SJW journalists think and what regular people actually think.

Is it that people with extremely liberal views get a massive platform to shout from, meanwhile most people can see the BS for what it is?

It's also not just the Rotten Tomatoes critic ratings, a simple Google of Dave Chappelle Sticks and Stones will bring up a boat load of commentary against him.

You're assuming a lot. And despite the smiley faces, you seem triggered.
    I think the anti anything they don't like conspiracy snow flakes like yourself are off the mark here ;)
    It's a private website. They obviously didn't find it funny. And IMO it was far from his best but had great moments. That's it really.

Also of 10 Rotten Tomatoes reviewers, 3 liked it, 7 didn't. Hardly a #justiceforjuicey level event.

This is the second time this has been raised on boards. It's a review site, I don't think there's an agenda and if there were they are making a balls of it by posting the Audience counts in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If its only out of 10 critic scores that is just low sampling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

I dont get how Chappelle has become some kind of political thing now.

Whats the next random thing to become a political dildo?

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Breitbart as "general media"? A far-right organisation is not the most reputable source for balanced & objective views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

greencap wrote: »
    I dont get how Chappelle has become some kind of political thing now.

Whats the next random thing to become a political dildo?

Everything in America is political. Comedy, sports, the arts, toilets, schools etc etc.

It's why so many are against the importation of American-esque politics into Ireland/Europe.

Breitbart as "general media"? A far-right organisation is not the most reputable source for balanced & objective views.
    I don't know where you heard that. Brietbart is on the same side as Vice and Guardian.

I don't know where you heard that. Brietbart is on the same side as Vice and Guardian.

Come off it. Breitbart & the Guardian are poles apart ideologically.

Back on topic, I think too much weight is given to a few haughty critics affronted by a respected comedian giving political correctness both barrels.

Overheal wrote: »
    I wouldn’t rate Sticks and Stones a 9/10 myself, it was good, I laughed, but it wasn’t a watershed for Chappelle or for standup or anything.
    I agree, it's not his best work or anything but still funny and still very Chappelle.
    Like George Carlin it's almost more social commentary than comedy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

The illiberal Left are in a twist over this.
    Laughing like blinking and your heart beating is something that you have no control over, it just happens, so when Dave Chappelle tells a joke that is not PC and does not conform to the SJW world view the illiberal Left see first hand the public laugh at the truth of it.
    This is unacceptable , group think is the way of the Left, dissent is not allowed, hence the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,883 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The illiberal Left are in a twist over this.
    Laughing like blinking and your heart beating is something that you have no control over, it just happens, so when Dave Chappelle tells a joke that is not PC and does not conform to the SJW world view the illiberal Left see first hand the public laugh at the truth of it.
    This is unacceptable , group think is the way of the Left, dissent is not allowed, hence the outrage.
    The irony here is that your post is just a random jumble of right wing cliches picked up from various conservative media and passed off as independent thought.

The irony here is that your post is just a random jumble of right wing cliches picked up from various conservative media and passed off as independent thought.

Hahahahahahahahahahahah
    Hahahahahahahahha
    The Illiberal left make me laugh, they make all of us classic liberals laugh, hahahahahahahahahahah

Hahahahahahahahahahahah
    Hahahahahahahahha
    The Illiberal left make me laugh, they make all of us classic liberals laugh, hahahahahahahahahahah
    Is this the part where you want someone to question the term "classic liberals", and then you lecture me on the topic by copying from another article you kind of half understood from a right wing source? Is everything you say just a quotation?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Breitbart is 'general media?' similar to how An Phoblacht was 'general media' during the troubles.

Bloody hell, talk about being in denial.

Is this the part where you want someone to question the term "classic liberals", and then you lecture me on the topic by copying from another article you kind of half understood from a right wing source? Is everything you say just a quotation?

Hahahahahah
    1. Denial and isolation;
    2. Anger;
    3. Bargaining; 4. Depression;
    5. Acceptance
    You are at stage 1 bleeding into 2
    In a few years time, God willing you will come to your senses and realise you where totally wrong.
    After you time with the insane Illiberal Left, Us classic liberals will welcome you back into the fold.

You've lost me. What am I denying?

Isolation!
    you will soon enter Anger

Isolation!
    No I'm still at total bafflement.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be taught a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

• Advertisement

Better to keep your mouth shut and be taught a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
    *Thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

I agree, it's not his best work or anything but still funny and still very Chappelle.
    Like George Carlin it's almost more social commentary than comedy.

I like most of chappelles stuff but his latest offering felt pretty flat. Leaving aside the controversy it was a pale imitation of his earlier routines. Even the audience seemed pretty lacklustre although maybe they felt awkward. The laughing at himself and walking to the back of the set while the audience barely made a sound seemed like a bizarre atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didnt "audience" reviews also have some movies reviewed at 0% before they were ever even released?

Only a right dolt would use them as any proof of anything :pac:

pjohnson wrote: »
    Only a right dolt would use them as any proof of anything :pac:
    Oh, I wouldn't be so harsh. The general media seems to think it's good.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/is-rotten-tomatoes-a-reliable-source-for-movie-reviews_b_59000a34e4b06feec8ac91c6

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

At least you've moved on from breibart but thats critics feedback your one seems on about. Whatever about actual critics the audience scores are generally rubbish.

All media is general media.
    A certain media outlet might look far right to someone who is far left.

Did you know Huffpost was founded by Andrew Breitbart? Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Isolation!

Since there's already an existing Chapelle thread, it's pretty clear that the left aren't that outraged. Most views are that it just isn't that good. No outrage, just plain old meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

batgoat wrote: »
    Since there's already an existing Chapelle thread, it's pretty clear that the left aren't that outraged. Most views are that it just isn't that good. No outrage, just plain old meh.

Not that good? :confused:

It has gotten great reviews by anyone who isn't a SJW. Imdb has it at 8.6 out of 10 currently. You would struggle to find a funnier hour of comedy released this year, that does not qualify as 'meh'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The oddest thing here is a 99% audience score. That's Hussein-era Iraq figures.

Advertisement