Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAVE CHAPPELLE: Critics versus Audience review

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The oddest thing here is a 99% audience score. That's Hussein-era Iraq figures.

Sure. But I'm much more inclined to believe the Hussein-era figures are coming from the critics. I mean a 25% approval rating for a comedy special seems clearly like an ideological score.

There's no way you can be a fan of comedy and come up with a 25% score. The 99% audience score might partially be explained by the push back. But it's easily an 8 out of 10 special (although I personally would give it a 10).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not that good? confused.png

It has gotten great reviews by anyone who isn't a SJW. Imdb has it at 8.6 out of 10 currently. You would struggle to find a funnier hour of comedy released this year, that does not qualify as 'meh'.

Watched it last night and thought it was pretty entertaining overall and no way deserving of the stupidly low critic score but having not seen a lot of Chappelle's prior stuff, I can't comment on the dip in quality a large amount of the more negative comments refer to regarding this special. I do feel the 99% user rating has a large element of sticking it to the "critics" and a 6 or 7 out of 10 would be a fair rating as Dave's running to the back of the stage so much got old fast and some of the jokes needed way more work.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 The Kang

The white saviours don't like it when a black person deviates from the script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Not that good? :confused:

It has gotten great reviews by anyone who isn't a SJW. Imdb has it at 8.6 out of 10 currently. You would struggle to find a funnier hour of comedy released this year, that does not qualify as 'meh'.

And you do realise critical consensus often doesn't mirror audiences? The general criticism over the show is that it's nowhere near Chappele at his best. You are perfectly free to disagree with it but saying that everyone who criticises it is a SJW is a bit sad tbh.

And bizarrely this outrage at critics seems to be becoming more and more common. If you enjoy something that's fine but it doesn't mean everyone will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Critic reviews coming from critics. Audience reviews coming from Dave Chappelle's audience who I'd guess are people who already like Dave Chappelle.

• Advertisement

batgoat wrote: »
    And you do realise critical consensus often doesn't mirror audiences? The general criticism over the show is that it's nowhere near Chappele at his best. You are perfectly free to disagree with it but saying that everyone who criticises it is a SJW is a bit sad tbh.

And bizarrely this outrage at critics seems to be becoming more and more common. If you enjoy something that's fine but it doesn't mean everyone will.

You literally said "Most views are that it just isn't that good. No outrage, just plain old meh."

That's patently nonsense.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 The Kang

Check out his stance on abortion:

'If you can kill the little motha****a I can at least abandon him. My money my choice!'

Haha!

You literally said "Most views are that it just isn't that good. No outrage, just plain old meh."

That's patently nonsense.

By most views, I was referring to the mixed to negative ones from the thread. In relation to the SJW angle, his shows in 2017 were acclaimed and had plenty of controversial material, the same critics/publications. Do you view the national review as a publication for sjws out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The oddest thing here is a 99% audience score. That's Hussein-era Iraq figures.

Rotten Tomatoes recorded the critics score for Nannette, the "comedy special" from Hannah Gatsby, a 100% rating...

It was the worst performance I have ever witnessed, it was essentially an hour long rant on how horrible men are....it was self indulgent and the performer struggled to contain her emotions onstage in front of her audience..."it reinvented comedy"...one moran reported!

Wait until Joker hits the screens....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Rotten Tomatoes gave Nannette, the "comedy special" from Hannah Gatsby, a 100% rating...

It was the worst performance I have ever witnessed, it was essentially an hour long rant on how horrible men are....it was self indulgent and the performer struggled to contain her emotions onstage in front of her audience..."it reinvented comedy"...one moran reported!

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't give any ratings itself - all it does is aggregate professional reviews and audience reviews to give a rough guide to how something was received.

A mediocre film could get a score of 70% if seven critics say it was pretty good and three say it was a bit bleh. An incredibly controversial film could get exactly the same score because seven critics said it is a work of genius and three said it is absolute dross.

A score of 100% isn't saying something is perfect, its saying that 100% of the professional reviews were reasonably positive.

Wait until Joker hits the screens....

Eh, currently at 85% on RT. Some commentary has raised concerns about it appealing incels(and potential copycat attacks) but that's a reasonable concern. But in general superb reviews and plenty of Oscar buzz being generated by critics... So it's more disproving the SJW's evil plot.

This is really as if you guys are the ones trying to be perpetually offended.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Rotten Tomatoes doesn't give any ratings itself - all it does is aggregate professional reviews and audience reviews to give a rough guide to how something was received.

A mediocre film could get a score of 70% if seven critics say it was pretty good and three say it was a bit bleh. An incredibly controversial film could get exactly the same score because seven critics said it is a work of genius and three said it is absolute dross.

A score of 100% isn't saying something is perfect, its saying that 100% of the professional reviews were reasonably positive.

Yes I dunno how this aspect has been missed.. Like I don't think many people actually believe marvel films are the best films ever made but most of them tend to be in the high 80s... It just means they're generally positively reviewed.

Eh, currently at 85% on RT. Some commentary has raised concerns about it appealing incels(and potential copycat attacks) but that's a reasonable concern. But in general superb reviews and plenty of Oscar buzz being generated by critics... So it's more disproving the SJW's evil plot.

This is really as if you guys are the ones trying to be perpetually offended.

We are talking about movies here...it's farcical this is even an issue....my point is how ridiculous things are getting that these critic score's and audience scores are so far apart, I used to go by Rotten Tomatoes when deciding what movie to watch but that avenue is no longer trustworthy....I mean, that is its point isn't it??

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

biko wrote: »
    All media is general media.
    A certain media outlet might look far right to someone who is far left.

Did you know Huffpost was founded by Andrew Breitbart? Probably not.

The Guardian, Irish Times, NYT, Washington Post, Daily Mail, Sunday Times etc are general media and are consumed by a wide range of people in society. To claim Breitbart is in the same category as the above just shows you up for the far right fantasist that you are, in fact it actually shows you are in denial about being such, which is even sadder.

The Guardian, Irish Times, NYT, Washington Post, Daily Mail, Sunday Times etc are general media and are consumed by a wide range of people in society. To claim Breitbart is in the same category as the above just shows you up for the far right fantasist that you are, in fact it actually shows you are in denial about being such, which is even sadder.

All those outlets are in the gutter, just like Breitbart, The Sun, Fox...it's mad some people can't see it...they are all as bad as one another, driven by emotive opinion pieces and hyperbole...

We are talking abut movies here...it's farcical this is even an issue....my point is how ridiculous things are getting that these critic score's and audience scores are so far apart, I used to go by Rotten Tomatoes when deciding what movie to watch but that avenue is no longer trustworthy....I mean, that is its point isn't it??

I think you're making it into an issue. Generally I put a grain of salt into a rotten score. Critics and audiences opinions have often diverged and it's not a sudden occurrence. Sure half of the cult classics were critically panned when they came out.

And by your very own logic, the "Joker" film should not have have been so critically acclaimed with critics. Cause there is a hugely controversial aspect.

Rotten Tomatoes merely reflects the critics response. So I'm not sure how you could be outraged at a platform over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What's even supposed to be the "trigged the libs and that's why they're panning it?" bit in the latest bit? Jussie Smollett?

All I've seen is people sh1teing on about how offended other people are, not anyone saying they're offended.

There was some provocative trans stuff in his first special, it was nowhere near as panned.

He's being graded on a curve against himself. He's nowhere near what he was in the day, hes not as good as he was at the start of this Netflix comeback. There's nothing wrong with making funny, well constructed jokes about potentially offensive subjects, or doing so in an irascible, provocative way. See: Jim Jeffries, Frankie Boyle, Bill Burr, and Chapelle himself.

But this was lazy, cynical, largely unfunny stuff, especially by his own standards. Liking humour on principle because it sets out to be offensive regardless of whether it's funny or not is pretty retarded, turning around and accusing your political opposites of taking an ideological position on it is taking the piss altogether though.

Like, can someone tell us what they think was the funniest joke from this set? What really got you giggling to the extent that this deserves 100%?

Just to point out, the national review of all things loved his 2017 shows. Panned this one. The right wing National Review are now SJW's?

I think you're making it into an issue. Generally I put a grain of salt into a rotten score. Critics and audiences opinions have often diverged and it's not a sudden occurrence. Sure half of the cult classics were critically panned when they came out.

And by your very own logic, the "Joker" film should not have have been so critically acclaimed with critics. Cause there is a hugely controversial aspect.

Rotten Tomatoes merely reflects the critics response. So I'm not sure how you could be outraged at a platform over that.

So...there is no divisive culturally narrative anywhere...it's all just like it always was, nothing to see here.

Just because you keep on repeating the word outrage, don't make it so...

I am on this thread, because the disparity between Critics score's for two separate comedy specials, one by Dave Chappelle, a man who has earned iconic status in one of the most difficult art forms in mainstream culture, received a 30% rating...

And a completely talentless "comedian" who had what came close to an emotional breakdown on stage during a self indulgent rant got a 100%...

Comedy is a tough game, not for the fainthearted, and a vital part of our culture...comedy critics should be rewarding talent not vanity.

I accept I made a mistake about Joker.

So...there is no divisive culturally narrative anywhere...it's all just like it always was, nothing to see here.

Just because you keep on repeating the word outrage, don't make it so...

I am on this thread, because the disparity between Critics score's for two separate comedy specials, one by Dave Chappelle, a man who has earned iconic status in one of the most difficult art forms in mainstream culture, received a 30% rating...

And a completely talentless "comedian" who had what came close to an emotional breakdown on stage during a self indulgent rant got a 100%...

Comedy is a tough game, not for the fainthearted, and a vital part of our culture...comedy critics should be rewarding talent not vanity.

I accept I made a mistake about Joker.

And his 2017 show were positively reviewed by the same critics, it was also controversial. So I think you are making a mountain out of absolutely nothing. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

And his 2017 show were positively reviewed by the same critics, it was also controversial. So I think you are making a mountain out of absolutely nothing. Best of luck!

No need to be outraged...watch that garbage from Hannah Gatsby and come back to me...I'm sure you'll understand my confusion at the disparity between the two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

But this was lazy, cynical, largely unfunny stuff, especially by his own standards. Liking humour on principle because it sets out to be offensive regardless of whether it's funny or not is pretty retarded, turning around and accusing your political opposites of taking an ideological position on it is taking the piss altogether though.

Like, can someone tell us what they think was the funniest joke from this set? What really got you giggling to the extent that this deserves 100%?

Exactly this, he went for a lot of low hanging fruit and didn’t do anything clever with it. I’m a Chapelle fan but this was just bad. The whole ‘what if I feel like a Chinese man in a black mans body’ has to be one of the worst bits I’ve seen from a top comedian, 15 year old me would have cringed at that if someone had done it in the school yard.

jive wrote: »
    Exactly this, he went for a lot of low hanging fruit and didn’t do anything clever with it. I’m a Chapelle fan but this was just bad. The whole ‘what if I feel like a Chinese man in a black mans body’ has to be one of the worst bits I’ve seen from a top comedian, 15 year old me would have cringed at that if someone had done it in the school yard.

This seems so be the era we are living in...creativity is no longer gold standard!

This seems so be the era we are living in...creativity is no longer gold standard!

Ignored his entire point, well done. :rolleyes:

Ignored his entire point, well done. :rolleyes:

Actually, I didn't...i didn't think it was his best work myself, Jonathan Pie is the only guy I've come across who has offered some creativity in his act (I'm sure there may be a few more I haven't come across)...as far as comedy is concerned, we are not living in a golden era that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Actually, I didn't...i didn't think it was his best work myself, Jonathan Pie is the only guy I've come across who has offered some creativity in his act (I'm sure there may be a few more I haven't come across)...as far as comedy is concerned, we are not living in a golden era that is for sure.

I think it's all been done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The thing with comedy is not everyone will like the same thing - thankfully.
    It'd be awfully dull if we did.

By most views, I was referring to the mixed to negative ones from the thread. In relation to the SJW angle, his shows in 2017 were acclaimed and had plenty of controversial material, the same critics/publications. Do you view the national review as a publication for sjws out of interest?

This special had more controversial material.

biko wrote: »
    The thing with comedy is not everyone will like the same thing - thankfully.
    It'd be awfully dull if we did.

Which is perfectly reasonable.
    This special had more controversial material.

And the National Review is a SJW associated publication? News to me!

• Advertisement

And the National Review is a SJW associated publication? News to me!

You're the only one mentioning that publication. :confused:

Advertisement